Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin How racism colors our thoughts.

cmore925

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Something to think about.....
Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

What if things were switched around?.....
Think about it.
Could the country's collective point of view be different? Could racism be the culprit?
Ponder the following:

What if the Obamas had paraded five children across the stage, including a three month old infant and an unwed, pregnant teenage daughter?

What if John McCain was a former president of the Harvard Law Review?

What if Barack Obama finished fifth from the bottom of his graduating class?

What if McCain had only married once, and Obama was a divorcee?

What if Obama was the candidate who left his first wife after a severe disfiguring car accident, when she no longer measured up to his standards?

What if Obama had met his second wife in a bar and had a long affair while he was still married?

What if Michelle Obama was the wife who not only became addicted to pain killers, but also acquired them illegally through her charitable organization?

What if Cindy McCain graduated from Harvard?

What if Obama had been a member of the Keating Five?
(The Keating Five were five United States Senators accused of corruption in 1989, igniting a major political scandal as part of the larger Savings and Loan crisis of the late 1980s and early 1990s.)

What if McCain was a charismatic, eloquent speaker?

What if Obama couldn't read from a teleprompter?

What if Obama was the one who had military experience that included discipline problems and a record of crashing seven planes?

What if Obama was the one who was known to display publicly, on many occasions, a serious anger management problem?

What if Michelle Obama's family had made their money from beer distribution?

What if the Obamas had adopted a white child.

You could easily add to this list. If these questions reflected reality, do you really believe the election numbers would be as close as they are?

This is what racism does. It covers up, rationalizes and minimizes positive qualities in one candidate and emphasizes negative qualities in another when there is a color difference
Educational Background:

Barack Obama:

Columbia University - B.A. Political Science with a Specialization in International Relations.

Harvard - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude

Joseph Biden:

University of Delaware - B.A. in History and B.A. in Political Science.

Syracuse University College of Law - Juris Doctor (J.D.)

vs.

John McCain:

United States Naval Academy - Class rank: 894 of 899

Sarah Palin:

Hawaii Pacific University - 1 semester

North Idaho College - 2 semesters - general study

University of Idaho - 2 semesters -journalism

Matanuska-Susitna College - 1 semester

University of Idaho - 3 semesters - B.A. in Journalism

Education isn't everything, but this is about the two highest offices in the land as well as our standing in the world.

You make the call.

Last edited:

sparky11point5

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I am Caucasian (one friend refers to me as the 'whitest guy he knows), yet, I have seen a pervasive attention to race in the election. A lot of people deny this, both liberal and conservative Caucasians like to think this country is 'color blind', which is a lot easier than actually discussing this source of tension. Here are some examples of implied use of race --

-- attempts to blame minority home buyers for the mortgage crisis
-- attempts to blame guidelines for minority lending for the mortgage crisis
-- description of Obama's tax plan that will "turn the IRS into a welfare scheme"
-- "THAT one!"
-- "he is not like us"
-- the otherwise inexplicable avoidance of McCain using Rev. Wright's comments against Obama
-- the assertion that Powell endorsed Obama only based on race

I have not even referred to cases of individual racism, such as the teacher writing out "CHANGE - Come Help a N** Get Elected" on a class room blackboard; or referring to minority homes as "bastard factories". Clearly this is despicable, but not an acknowledged part of the campaigns like the above examples.

I will let the conservatives here point out Democratic and Liberal uses of race.

My point is that race has been omnipresent in this election.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The argument of this piece is very strong, but the claim that McCain crashed seven planes is bizarrely inflated. McCain lost a total of three planes, including the one that was shot down in Vietnam and one that crashed because of mechanical failure. The loss of one plane was attributed to his piloting, and he drove another plane through a power line when flying too close to the ground in Spain, without crashing. So he is responsible for a total of one plane crash and one accident that could have resulted in a crash.

FactCheck.org: Did McCain crash five planes? Did he cause the 1967 Forrestal fire?

stratedude

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm not sure if it is partisanship or racism, but blatantly only seeing or exposing ONE SIDE of this phenomenon is one or the other.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
with all due respect:

-- attempts to blame minority home buyers for the mortgage crisis
This is a verifiable fact. This certainly wasn't the sole reason, but it was the catalyst. When underwriting guidelines were expanded, several people outside of this demographic took advantage of loose credit as well.

-- attempts to blame guidelines for minority lending for the mortgage crisis
Not the minority's fault - but the guidelines caused this problem.

--
description of Obama's tax plan that will "turn the IRS into a welfare scheme"
His spending package is quite aggressive. Not just welfare, but a lot of social programs.

-- "THAT one!"
"George Bush"

-- "he is not like us"
Haven't heard that one.

-- the otherwise inexplicable avoidance of McCain using Rev. Wright's comments against Obama
He worshiped there for 20 years. "Inexplicable" is just weird.

-- the assertion that Powell endorsed Obama only based on race
I'll leave this alone. I have a thread on this subject. It wasn't 'only' race, but it had a part.

I have not even referred to cases of individual racism, such as the teacher writing out "CHANGE - Come Help a N** Get Elected" on a class room blackboard; or referring to minority homes as "bastard factories". Clearly this is despicable, but not an acknowledged part of the campaigns like the above examples.
I haven't heard about the teacher, nor the bastard factories jokes. The thing is, Obama isn't even mostly African American. He's mostly Arabian and European American. The race issue seems like a last-resort tactic-I'm sorry.

I will let the conservatives here point out Democratic and Liberal uses of race.
Just playing the race card. Obama is "old" and "grumpy" and "a corpse." Palin's daughter is a "whore" and she's a "bimbo" blah blah blah.

My point is that race has been omnipresent in this election.
Again, all due respect. I totally disagree. The guy has a double-digit lead sparky.