Obama Blows His Nose

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
and finds applause... this hype is great, interesting... no way it lasts 9 months,.... can't wait until the issues and track record (or lack thereof) comes out, but when it's too late.

Even blowing his nose, Obama gets applause

by John McCormick
DALLAS – It's probably safe to say that you have arrived as a politician when your audience applauds when you blow your nose.
Yes, just a day before a debate in Texas, Sen. Barack Obama has a head cold.
And about a half-hour into a speech here, the Illinois Democrat announced that he had to take a quick break. "Gotta blow my nose here for a second," Obama said.
Out came a Kleenex (or perhaps it was a hankie), and he wiped his nose.
The near-capacity audience at the Reunion Arena, which his campaign said totaled 17,000, broke out in a slightly awkward applause.
Despite the cold, Obama's voice seems as strong as ever. He has a light schedule today and some time to rest up before his debate Thursday evening with Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York.

Wow a cold... and his voice is as STRONG as ever... nice to see an "unbiased" journalist smitten with the phenomena... but a couple Paris Hilton incidents later, a couple celebrity deaths... and an otherwise slow news month will turn over. They'll find some isolated soldier crime in the Middle East, and focus on that,... but otherwise... what IS the agenda?

widenine

Experimental Member
Media
"Obama Blows His Nose
and finds applause... this hype is great, interesting... no way it lasts 9 months,.... can't wait until the issues and track record (or lack thereof) comes out, but when it's too late."

I read your comments and apparent disapproval of this candidate and wonder ... what all of your hype stems from? You comment on the cache of the media and imply that the general public is lacking clear sense. And why is that?

They are finally excited about a man who has stellar academics, they appreciate that fact that he speaks directly to them, and they respond by saying, thank god you are doing that. They say... George Bush doesn't have those qualities, his thinking is not fresh and lucid, he speaks a funny brand of English and, actually, it's an shameful brand that paints all americans as both provincial and intellectually lacking. Thank god he's managed to pay some brains to back him up.

You expect the current candidates to have a stellar track record. Ideas and a willingness to execute them is not enough? Well, that's tough given the political ineptness and lack of diplomacy what that we've seen from the white house over the last seven years. Has a representative cross section of America ever opened its eyes widely and screamed to embrace Bush, Hilary, McCane or any other white house resident in recent memory? The answer is no.

Bush alienated allies. His "cowboy diplomacy failed". Entering the white house, He had no national leadership, successful congressional bills or amendments that can be noted. He even lacked the following of austinites when he was voted governor, again without any kind of experience. He had no meaningful substance upon entering the white house. And the public let him stay for two terms.

Let's face it: American has changed. Because of wars, unwanted immigration, changing demographics, increased interracial dating and marriage, an openess in general to those who are different than "leave it to beaver", and an awareness of foreign hostility, even by allies, we are coming together. Yes, we will defend ourselves. And we will also try to live together on this globe.

You are correct in suggesting that the hype or momentum that has been created by Mr. Obama is exceptional. No one under the age of forty has seen this level of public rallying around a candidate in this country. I, personally, find it very inspiring. And I say this without the answers that you seem to need before considering him as your president. But that's o.k. Your skepticism mirrors that of others who don't get the importance of his success to this nation and the nation's people.

I would welcome your thoughts and hope to continue this exchange. I really do want to understand your perspective if it's well founded. We can always learn from others. I do, however, question if you actually thought about your comments presented before posting them. Given the looming recession and given the level of racial and bipartisan unity that this man is creating, your reponse, to me, seems rather trite.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Faceking's thread opener is more jaded than disapproving from my perspective. O'bama has impeccable public speaking skills. I'd buy into the change he speaks of, but it's a new illusion of smoke and mirrors we've probably only witnessed in JFK, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton.

I really want to know what O'bama's turn around on the economy will be. It's really too late to turn back the clock on the mortgage lending problem. All the livestock got out of the barn and corral when inflation on home prices doubled, tripled and eventually quadrupled from the house flipping in many markets. The Fed lowers it's forecast, stocks drop (then recover) and fuel prices for a barrel of oil jump. This economy is based on one or the other taking up the slack for the bad economic news when one falters for a day. It's almost hillarious, that's if it didn't hurt so much to fill your vehicle with a tank of gas, they issue bad news economically and stocks gain overall and fuel inflates for higher profits. I personally don't see Clinton's plan either, nor McCain's on these facts. When you see Detroit closing plants & laying off, then reworking a deal with the UAW that lowers wages and makes many job cuts permanent for future contracts. America can only continue to have it's share of @ssholes that continue to soak the majority of us to feed the wealthiest with record profits.

And ending war(s), well that'll get contractors out of work to come back to Wal-Mart payscales and McJobs (McDonald's careers). I don't have any/the solutions myself, but then again, I'm not the one going to collect $ 400K and the burden of producing. So my skepticism, no matter how jaded or misconstrued as negativity towards any given candidate or lot of candidates is based/founded in reality. In the end we will get 4 years of one of these candidates and in the grand scheme of it all, it won't matter which one we get. We'll be out $ 400K a year, there will be those that did favors that reap the benefits of those favors and we will foot the bill for a deeper, abysmally, dismal deficit.

widenine

Experimental Member
Media
Faceking's thread opener is more jaded than disapproving from my perspective. O'bama has impeccable public speaking skills. I'd buy into the change he speaks of, but it's a new illusion of smoke and mirrors we've probably only witnessed in JFK, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton.

I really want to know what O'bama's turn around on the economy will be. It's really too late to turn back the clock on the mortgage lending problem. All the livestock got out of the barn and corral when inflation on home prices doubled, tripled and eventually quadrupled from the house flipping in many markets. The Fed lowers it's forecast, stocks drop (then recover) and fuel prices for a barrel of oil jump. This economy is based on one or the other taking up the slack for the bad economic news when one falters for a day. It's almost hillarious, that's if it didn't hurt so much to fill your vehicle with a tank of gas, they issue bad news economically and stocks gain overall and fuel inflates for higher profits. I personally don't see Clinton's plan either, nor McCain's on these facts. When you see Detroit closing plants & laying off, then reworking a deal with the UAW that lowers wages and makes many job cuts permanent for future contracts. America can only continue to have it's share of @ssholes that continue to soak the majority of us to feed the wealthiest with record profits.

And ending war(s), well that'll get contractors out of work to come back to Wal-Mart payscales and McJobs (McDonald's careers). I don't have any/the solutions myself, but then again, I'm not the one going to collect $ 400K and the burden of producing. So my skepticism, no matter how jaded or misconstrued as negativity towards any given candidate or lot of candidates is based/founded in reality. In the end we will get 4 years of one of these candidates and in the grand scheme of it all, it won't matter which one we get. We'll be out $ 400K a year, there will be those that did favors that reap the benefits of those favors and we will foot the bill for a deeper, abysmally, dismal deficit.
You and I are actually not disagreeing. I have the same concerns about the economy, jobs, the price of gasoline, and home and mortgage increases because of insurance, a/c, heat etc. That's the domestic concern which also includes crappy public education, fear walking the streets in urban areas, disenfranchised minorities and poor white people all over this nation.

We witnessed numerous accounts of presidents coming from marginal, non money households to land in the white house as commanding chief. They call this the american dream. Unfortunately, even as an educated black man, I can say that the presidency was never a realistic dream for me. And that is what Obama's wife alluded to recently when she says she is only now feeling proud to be an american.

I ask that you imagine the impact on this nation if everyone felt in reach of the american dream ... in it's entirety. You must admit that minorities are still oftentimes excluded from varying walks of life just because they are minorities. This in turn highlights the existence of what journalists call america's white privilege. And now, expecially amoung the young who have had far more exposure to different minority cultures, even if through pop music and MTV, they've embraced the differences and they want to mix and live life with them. Obama symbolizes this new lense of "learning to live together".

You are so right about not being able to do but so much as president. After all, american traditions die hard. They are understood and appreciated by people all over the globe. And most of them provide us with a sense of security and entitlement... american privilege... that fuels immigration.
Smoke and mirrors, though, is something else. I'm not distrustful of Obama. I'm hopeful that he will be successful and I'm willing to contribute to that end as best as I can. I now feel that it's my responsibilty as an American to help promote the change that he so eloquently describes.

Seriously, given all of obamas other qualities, this alone is enough to get my vote of confidence and boost my enthusiasm.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I really don't know how anyone can relate to O'bama either, that is much beyond an exceptionally skilled public speaking delivery and content. The story of poor kid does good, really isn't true in this case. Nobody is that golden on every opportunity and has it fall into their lap. I'm a skeptic, the resume is simply too perfect and the incremental progression too orchestrated for this to be a common man.

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama"

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I really don't know how anyone can relate to O'bama either, that is much beyond an exceptionally skilled public speaking delivery and content. The story of poor kid does good, really isn't true in this case. Nobody is that golden on every opportunity and has it fall into their lap.

Facts, boi, facts. Bring them forth.

I'm a skeptic, the resume is simply too perfect and the incremental progression too orchestrated for this to be a common man.

Of course he's not a common man ... in terms of ability, or vision, or ambition.
He's a common man in terms of his economic origins. He had no silver spoon. He had no leg up.
"The incremental progression is too orchestrated"?
Who orchestrated it? The Illuminati?

widenine

Experimental Member
Media
Fair enough... skepticism has it's place, especially after the last seven years. I'm assuming that you are not black.. mainly because you say you don't understand. But if you are an american with an understanding of the racial ills of this nation, can you see the potential for a national healing in all of this?

Note: Obama has some tremendous, high powered marketing and money behind him. His value has been recognized by those with a vision for a better nation... not just democrats. We're in trouble as a people, divided, distrustful, hiding in gated communities, afraid of foreigners. We do not have a choice but to come together. I always knew that this would happen. It's not unlike what happened to Jews when those in Europe where culturally separated from those in the middle east. When a threat came along, Mr. Hitler, they banded together for mere survival.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read your comments and apparent disapproval of this candidate and wonder ... what all of your hype stems from? You comment on the cache of the media and imply that the general public is lacking clear sense. And why is that?

They are finally excited about a man who has stellar academics, they appreciate that fact that he speaks directly to them, and they respond by saying, thank god you are doing that. They say... George Bush doesn't have those qualities, his thinking is not fresh and lucid, he speaks a funny brand of English and, actually, it's an shameful brand that paints all americans as both provincial and intellectually lacking. Thank god he's managed to pay some brains to back him up.

Has a representative cross section of America ever opened its eyes widely and screamed to embrace Bush, Hilary, McCane or any other white house resident in recent memory? The answer is no.

Bush alienated allies. His "cowboy diplomacy failed". Entering the white house, He had no national leadership, successful congressional bills or amendments that can be noted. He even lacked the following of austinites when he was voted governor, again without any kind of experience. He had no meaningful substance upon entering the white house. And the public let him stay for two terms.

Let's face it: American has changed. Because of wars, unwanted immigration, changing demographics, increased interracial dating and marriage, an openess in general to those who are different than "leave it to beaver", and an awareness of foreign hostility, even by allies, we are coming together. Yes, we will defend ourselves. And we will also try to live together on this globe.

You are correct in suggesting that the hype or momentum that has been created by Mr. Obama is exceptional. No one under the age of forty has seen this level of public rallying around a candidate in this country. I, personally, find it very inspiring. And I say this without the answers that you seem to need before considering him as your president. But that's o.k. Your skepticism mirrors that of others who don't get the importance of his success to this nation and the nation's people.

I would welcome your thoughts and hope to continue this exchange. I really do want to understand your perspective if it's well founded. We can always learn from others. I do, however, question if you actually thought about your comments presented before posting them.

OK... glad you ended that civil.

First... I was pointing out how haywire the hype is. He's like Justin Timberlake amidst 15 yr old girls challenging puberty. Granted, I ask is the music the quality of Dark Side of the Moon, Aretha Franklin, or the Beatles... the way the "fans" are acting you'd think so.

If you've seen my other posts here (and honestly wouldn't expect you to search, so no harm/foul), I really haven't decided on the guy, because I'm more enthralled with this rockstar persona..... the analogies here are endless....

The guy has no "Washington track record".... which I believe MIGHT be a great thing, but unfortunately... wrestlers-turned-governors doesn't always work out right. Bush has amazingly succeeded at pushing agendas/policies (love or hate) as he took the MBA approach of delegation and appointment. Colin Powell and Dick Cheney (love or hate) are well versed in Washington politics. Hillary has those same purse strings to pull from.
This board is ppl complaining (with VERY little fact and comparison) about the economy, civil rights, immigration (oh wait, noone here cares little about that), etc..... yet really you don't see much trumpting of what Obama will do in these cases, if anything at all. So basically, I haven't decided on the guy, cause I have zero clue... granted my own fault as I haven't researched well enough... but I figure come summer, the rubber hits the road.. women will stop fainting, a cold will become second hat, he'll actually have to provide some concrete mini-plans on issues that come up between now and then...

There are a myriad of "smart well-educated ppl in Washington".

"Bush alienated allies. His "cowboy diplomacy failed".
That takes time to decide. Reaganomics was blasted at the time and shortly thereafter, and yet many economists accredit the success to this day in 2008.

"others who don't get the importance of his success to this nation and the nation's people"

Success amidst rhetoric only goes so far. You can't keep inspiring ppl, and ignore results for 4 straight years. Maybe that's why Dems shake their head and Reagan's UNMATCHED popularity in the '84 election.

"No one under the age of forty has seen this level of public rallying around a candidate in this country."

I don't care about age.... Reagan won the 1984 election five hundred and funking twenty-five to thirteen (525-13). If we forced the US to vote this instance at the height of Obama hype, he'd be lucky to 55% of the electoral. By the way, Mondale got 10 votes for Minnesota, his home state and the renowned bed-wetting state (which he barely won by 3,000 votes a few hanging chads). ..oh and DC... the same disaster that in that era re-elected Marion Berry (nuff said).

"Bush alienated allies."
Who've done what exactly the last 20 years for us... and last I checked France of all countries (given their loss of culture) is back on our side. England, the probably our best ally, was still in cahoots last I checked (see Tony Blair), Japan, etc...
And if our allies have issues... quit cashing our checks we send you ;-)

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Obama Delusion | Newsweek Voices - Robert J. Samuelson | Newsweek.com

I couldn't have said it better than this Newsweek journalist...

I'm really not annoyed at the hype.. I marvel in it.

And thankfully I'm not worried with the American system... news and trends move so quick... that's why I keep saying 9 months is a long ways away...

You can't fill that much void with hype... especially nowadays.

He could have some solid approach, but have yet to see it. Polish is good... but Bush had zero of it, and won two terms, and defeated a VP from a President with a high approval rating, who couldn't even win his own state , so I have some belief that ppl can vote on substance vs against anti-polish.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Obama Delusion | Newsweek Voices - Robert J. Samuelson | Newsweek.com

I couldn't have said it better than this Newsweek journalist...

" The task requires independent ideas, and Obama has few. If you examine his agenda, it is completely ordinary, highly partisan, not candid and mostly unresponsive to many pressing national problems. By Obama's own moral standards, Obama fails. Americans "are tired of hearing promises made and 10-point plans proposed in the heat of a campaign only to have nothing change," he recently said. Shortly thereafter he outlined an economic plan of at least 12 points that, among other things, would:"

good article.. but I think we will hear about more concrete plans and track record from Obama... only because everyone will be asking once the honeymoon is over.....

widenine

Experimental Member
Media
OK... glad you ended that civil.

First... I was pointing out how haywire the hype is. He's like Justin Timberlake amidst 15 yr old girls challenging puberty. Granted, I ask is the music the quality of Dark Side of the Moon, Aretha Franklin, or the Beatles... the way the "fans" are acting you'd think so.

If you've seen my other posts here (and honestly wouldn't expect you to search, so no harm/foul), I really haven't decided on the guy, because I'm more enthralled with this rockstar persona..... the analogies here are endless....

The guy has no "Washington track record".... which I believe MIGHT be a great thing, but unfortunately... wrestlers-turned-governors doesn't always work out right. Bush has amazingly succeeded at pushing agendas/policies (love or hate) as he took the MBA approach of delegation and appointment. Colin Powell and Dick Cheney (love or hate) are well versed in Washington politics. Hillary has those same purse strings to pull from.
This board is ppl complaining (with VERY little fact and comparison) about the economy, civil rights, immigration (oh wait, noone here cares little about that), etc..... yet really you don't see much trumpting of what Obama will do in these cases, if anything at all. So basically, I haven't decided on the guy, cause I have zero clue... granted my own fault as I haven't researched well enough... but I figure come summer, the rubber hits the road.. women will stop fainting, a cold will become second hat, he'll actually have to provide some concrete mini-plans on issues that come up between now and then...

There are a myriad of "smart well-educated ppl in Washington".

"Bush alienated allies. His "cowboy diplomacy failed".
That takes time to decide. Reaganomics was blasted at the time and shortly thereafter, and yet many economists accredit the success to this day in 2008.

"others who don't get the importance of his success to this nation and the nation's people"

Success amidst rhetoric only goes so far. You can't keep inspiring ppl, and ignore results for 4 straight years. Maybe that's why Dems shake their head and Reagan's UNMATCHED popularity in the '84 election.

"No one under the age of forty has seen this level of public rallying around a candidate in this country."

I don't care about age.... Reagan won the 1984 election five hundred and funking twenty-five to thirteen (525-13). If we forced the US to vote this instance at the height of Obama hype, he'd be lucky to 55% of the electoral. By the way, Mondale got 10 votes for Minnesota, his home state and the renowned bed-wetting state (which he barely won by 3,000 votes a few hanging chads). ..oh and DC... the same disaster that in that era re-elected Marion Berry (nuff said).

"Bush alienated allies."
Who've done what exactly the last 20 years for us... and last I checked France of all countries (given their loss of culture) is back on our side. England, the probably our best ally, was still in cahoots last I checked (see Tony Blair), Japan, etc...

Regan won is 84.. is true. You were very young... a minor at best. I remember a different America at that time. People and cities were still largely segregated, being conservative meant guarding the priviledges of being white with access to upper income spending. New York was still scary, D.C. still had whores on 14th street, immigration wasn't a threat,
and I ached for a higher quality of life away from the rush of urban sprawl.

I couldn't get away, studied hard because of an affirmative action grant, developed yuppie tendancies and indulged in all the trimmings. I saw my income double and that of half of my less fortunate siblings falter despite the hard work and labor of years gone by. Regan won, but he certainly did not unite our nation or its people. He was the great separator.........and I was there to see it.

"Bush alienated allies."

Our allies are more than japan and the europeans. Diplomacy is essential, at all costs, despite the wars, squabbles and insults hurled by our adversaries. Without it, there will be no humanity. Bravado has no place amoung good diplomacy.

Note: I travel internationally quite a lot. I've learned to conceal my identity as a american, in general, while travelling and I often just say that I'm Jamaican. It's a safe recourse in today's world.

I found myself in a pub with an international group of Europeans. We were in South America. As we drank more and more, the tone changed and the chatting became more political. I listened to talk from the English about being sucked into the war by us, from the swedes came a dislike for our arrogance and imperialism, but it was one londoner who impressed me most unfavorably. Speaking of the U.S with a grin, he simply said "I've always wanted to go to the colonies." Well, it was then that I almost lost my cover. Tony blair and other leaderscan do and say whatever they like. Their citizens that interact with me are on a different page.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Regan won is 84.. is true. You were very young... a minor at best. I remember a different America at that time. People and cities were still largely segregated, being conservative meant guarding the priviledges of being white with access to upper income spending. New York was still scary, D.C. still had whores on 14th street, immigration wasn't a threat,
and I ached for a higher quality of life away from the rush of urban sprawl.

I couldn't get away, studied hard because of an affirmative action grant, developed yuppie tendancies and indulged in all the trimmings. I saw my income double and that of half of my less fortunate siblings falter despite the hard work and labor of years gone by. Regan won, but he certainly did not unite our nation or its people. He was the great separator.........and I was there to see it.

"Bush alienated allies."

Our allies are more than japan and the europeans. Diplomacy is essential, at all costs, despite the wars, squabbles and insults hurled by our adversaries. Without it, there will be no humanity. Bravado has no place amoung good diplomacy.

Note: I travel internationally quite a lot. I've learned to conceal my identity as a american, in general, while travelling and I often just say that I'm Jamaican. It's a safe recourse in today's world.

I found myself in a pub with an international group of Europeans. We were in South America. As we drank more and more, the tone changed and the chatting became more political. I listened to talk from the English about being sucked into the war by us, from the swedes came a dislike for our arrogance and imperialism, but it was one londoner who impressed me most unfavorably. Speaking of the U.S with a grin, he simply said "I've always wanted to go to the colonies." Well, it was then that I almost lost my cover. Tony blair and other leaderscan do and say whatever they like. Their citizens that interact with me are on a different page.

Shoot... sorry.. the reply quotation didn't work well on this... I'm like Luke Skywalker amidst the Death Star Fleet, I'm singlehandedly working 6 threads right about now.... I can't see your retorts vs mine....

blue leader to red leader... can't shake em .... give me time (aka tomorrow morn to sort through, as I'm guessing there is some well thought out retort)

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Facts, boi, facts. Bring them forth. Of course he's not a common man ... in terms of ability, or vision, or ambition.
He's a common man in terms of his economic origins. He had no silver spoon. He had no leg up.

"The incremental progression is too orchestrated"?
Who orchestrated it? The Illuminati?

Read the wiki, and then look at the links the original wiki references. Occidental College, Ivy League/Columbia & Harvard ? Hyde Park, South Shore neighborhoods and the Englewood thing, that was an urban renewal project. No, O'bama has impeccable contacts when you consider who he rubbed elbows with in his earlier days. He's not where he is because he came from dirt poor nothing. I work for a non-profit healthcare startup, trust me there's big money for certain people that are ground floor on that circuit. Medicaid and other government programs fund these and while the money isn't as big as some industries, it certainly isn't poverty by any stretch of the imagination when those of education are setting up the show, they pay themselves quite well.

You ask who orchestrated it, so tell me a poor, black, youth that winds up in this teenage cycle turns his life around without the right influences and opportunities ?

"He wrote that he used alcohol, marijuana, and cocaine during his teenage years to "push questions of who I was out of my mind". "

I'm not naive. You shouldn't be either, nobody just wakes up one day and starts down this path without the right mentor(s) in place. And for every O'bama that is portrayed, there are those that are already in the pecking order. When I was in college, I looked into internships too. They just happened to be filled. About 10 years ago, I worked for a guy who didn't reward my services with a raise, but coincidentally we had 5 interns that summer, CEO's kids on the Ft Lauderdale summer vacation plan, the company paid them like any other employee, even picked up the tab on where they stayed. Yeah, I know firsthand where my raise went that year. That jerk even wanted me to train the little brats. It is what it is, what they don't pay the rest of us, that's more they have for themselves and it's a lot of money to leave there every year. There's what you get paid vs what it was really funded for and you might be astonished by the differences. Not everyone gets the same deal in this world. Some significantly better, others worse. How else would one explain why there are High School kids driving nicer cars than some adults ? Those fundraisers that I'm certain O'bama has attended a few in his career, they aren't cheap. The current employer, well they sponsor golf tournaments and so on. The price of admission is well beyond the means of the truly dirt poor, even middle class of this nation. The invite isn't extended to the families that live in the ghetto, barrio or trailer park.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh and btw, O'bama is published, there's just too many aspects of his life that hardly indicate he was scraping by. Where ever does he find the time to do all this ? Certainly not holding down a McJob, while trying to help his poor mother make rent to a slumlord, after his father left them ?

D

deleted213967

Ironically, the Cllintons (most certainly Bill) were not born into privilege. The few folks who refer to the couple as a "dynasty" may omit the fact that the then-young couple moved into the Arkansas Governor's Mansion with no possessions.

Barrack, who again is and will always be genetically 50% black - 50% white, did certainly not grow up in an US urban slum.