Obama calls for joint session of Congress on day of next republican debate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dazedandconfused, Aug 31, 2011.

1. dazedandconfused

Obama is calling for a joint session of Congress (on jobs) the day of the next republican debate, causing a problem for Bachmann and Paul. Both candidates are screwed whether they attend the debate or this session of Congress.

And I am sure people on here will believe this is not calculated. Paul's numbers keep going up and in the vast majority of polls, Paul is in a virtual tie with Obama head-to-head. Things are getting interesting.

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    There's something like twenty GOP presidential debates already in the calendar, including at least three of them next month alone. So if we have to put everything on hold every time they take the stage to blather on about how the Earth is 6,000 years old and how the most important issue facing the country is whether two people of the same sex want to get married, we're going to be doing a lot of putting things on hold.

and fwiw:

"John Harris tells me NBC/Politico's GOP presidential debate will be after Obama is done."

Twitter

3. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I doubt that Obama is doing this because he is afraid of Ron Paul. If Ron Paul wins the nomination, Obama will destroy him. Like mega destroy. Think 1964 Johnson vs. Goldwater destroy. In any case, Obama, unlike you, is now a seasoned politician. As any seasoned politician knows, poll numbers this far away from a Presidential election means jack shit. I'm fairly certain Reagan had similar numbers at this point- both in approval and re election prospects- and look what he did to Mondale.

4. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is interesting:

The White House confirms to TPM that it gave Congressional leadership the heads up before announcing its request publicly and no objections were raised at the time. Republicans say they never signed off, and were never asked to sign off.

"No one in the Speaker's office - not the Speaker, not any staff - signed off on the date the White House announced today," said Brendan Buck, a spokesman for Speaker John Boehner. "Unfortunately we weren't even asked if that date worked for the House. Shortly before it arrived this morning, we were simply informed that a letter was coming. It's unfortunate the White House ignored decades - if not centuries - of the protocol of working out a mutually agreeable date and time before making any public announcement."

5. chicagosam

Gold Member

Mrs. Bachmann has nothing to say that anyone needs to hear. Perhaps, in keeping with her extreme religious enlightenment, it is "a sign from God" that she should get out of politics.

6. LittleButt

LittleButt Member

On topic: This is another Obama-bashing article/non-issue. Keep people mad at the black guy long enough to distract them from the loonies running against him. The bedsheets hope people are anti-Obama long enough to be pro-nutjob.

Off topic: What's the difference between a Republican and a baby? Babies quit crying after six months.

7. dazedandconfused

The time of the joint session of Congress does not matter, if they are both the same day, Paul and Bachmann cannot attend both functions. Bachmann is done nor I care about her, but this is the only thing Obama can do against a surging Paul that is in a virtual tie with Obama heads up. What issue can Obama effectively argue against Paul? The economy: Paul called all of this. Foreign Policy: Obama ran on bringing the troops home and not only kept them there, but is escalating conflicts. LGBT issues: No one is going to run on that, but Paul wins there with his get the government out of marriage. Role of the federal government: most are in favor of getting the government out. It goes on and on.

Tomcat: If you do not think this was a calculated move when Obama had two months to do something like this and unemployment has been sky high forever now, I got Ocean-view property in Arizona to sell you.

Speaking of Arizona, this brings us to the 64 election. A lot of things transpired for that butt-whooping. This quote, "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue," Kennedy's recent deathand the daisy ad.

BBucko, wont dont know the whole story, but the neo-cons that run this country probably confirmed it because they knew this creates a problem for Paul and they sure as hell do not want him to get the nomination.

ChicagoSam, I hate Bachmann.

LittleButt: I think it was smart of Obama. Again, see the comment I made to TomCat. Right down to the "If you believe this is not a trick, I have Ocean-view property in Arizona to sell you."

If you dont think this was just a coincidence, I guess you also believe Beck's America rally being on the same date as King's "I have a dream" speech was a coincidence.

8. Horrible

Horrible New Member

Albums:

Black guy? Obama is 1/2 WHITE.

Non Issue? I'm pretty sure if Obama was to create a job, it would be a HUGE issue.

Loonies? People are loony because they are not aligned with your personal beliefs?

Bedsheets? What the FUCK does this even mean?

A Democrat found a magic genie's lamp and rubbed it. The genie said, "I will grant you one wish." He said, "I wish I were smarter". So the genie made him a Republican.

9. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

Race card already?

10. D_Percy_Prettywillie

D_Percy_Prettywillie Account Disabled

Right Boehner, because Congress has been so respectful and observant of the status quo in terms of civility regarding this President. Seriously, I don't think I can roll my eyes hard enough. I think, all due respect (and I mean that... all due respect) the Republicans can go suck it. Their debate will be only slightly less relevant (meaningful toward the ends) than the Presidents address so what do I care that they've been slighted on the etiquette? And really, how typical of our legislative branch- we're too busy eating our young and focusing on making this a one term President to listen to anything he has to say about trivial matters like job creation. They've declared that is their primary mission and bitching about a scheduling conflict is just another way of verifying it.

Oh, one other thing caught my eye in this thread thus far;

Dazed- you really think anyone in the White House or at the DNC is worried about a head to head with Ron Paul? Your 14 month from election day polling data isn't frightening anyone up there and certainly not frightening anyone into action. No one is worried about a head to head against Ron Paul. He's not going to be the Republican nominee... I mean Democrats just aren't that lucky. I'm not saying there wasn't a covert motivation for the date they picked, I'm just saying Ron Paul isn't it.

JSZ

11. D_Percy_Prettywillie

If the sheet fits....

JSZ

12. NYCdude

NYCdude Member

Obama already caved, like he always does. Bad job by him in getting started in this fight.

13. D_Percy_Prettywillie

Obama reschedules his jobs speech — do we have to care? - PostPartisan - The Washington Post

You've got to be fucking kidding me...

Seriously, we on the political right don't seem measured or logical to those on the exact opposite side of the spectrum, so who in the White House keeps suggesting we try? Obviously that tactic isn't working. Negotiation with the right turns into surrender each and every time a democrat engages in it. It's no longer a debate on competing ideas... it's a conversation wherein it is being decided if Republicans get all or just most of what they want.

I probably shouldn't read as much into this as I am... but dear sweet lord, one more Obama retreat for the tally; did no one in the West Wing think "What's the alternative? The Republican members of Congress don't show up because they're busy engaging in a debate for an election that's still more than a year away? Perfect!" Follow the logical track for not retreating every time you have a showdown with the Speaker- christ man, someone get the President a copy of Season Five of the West Wing. Maybe President Bartlet can help him out.

JSZ

14. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

A majority of black Americans have a 1/4 or more white ancestry, does that mean racism does not play a part in their interaction with the broader community? When discrimination is systemic, as it in the United States, one can find it at work in almost any context and it most certainly will not look like someone took a wrong turn to a Klan meeting.

In regard to President Obama's scheduling issue, I think racism is not a factor, it just seemed like a poorly executed power play. Which is not the president's area of strength. He caved, I knew he would cave when I read the announcement, and then I shook my head for about an hour thinking about the incompetent staff and courtiers he uses as a sounding board. :no:

15. dazedandconfused

In a world where what the candidate eats in public is talked about and decided by a group of campaign advisors, the date of this announcement was most certainly political. And what possible other reason, when he had more than a month to call a joint session, would it be?

And there is an old saying "When the gods want to punish men, they answer their prayers." If some democrats are praying for Paul, they will live to regret it. Paul is a strong third and still does not have the backing of the party nor the name recognition Obama, Romney or Perry. And agree or a disagree with Paul's platform, you cannot attack it. He never waivers, double-speaks, and was RIGHT about the economy.

Obama cannot attack Paul. You do not think he would not take the chance to take a hit against Paul and Bachmann, knowing full well those candidates will take a hit no matter what they choose.

And the leadership signed off on the date, no matter what they say. They hate Paul and Bachmann is a loon. And this is a way to take a big knock out of both of them.

16. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yep. This President is worthless. Couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag

17. ripsrips

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    obama just got smacked down! He and his staff thought...oh we got them! We'll schedule it on the same day of a debate that has been on the books for months (according to the Regan Library) they were probably giving each other hi-fives....then they put in their proper place! The people of this country get obama...If this "jobs" speech was so important (like all the other job speeches) why did he announce it then say it has to wait until I go on vacation first...That's NOT a leader, That's a speech giver! Now he'll have to go against the NFL...He'll lose this one too.
    The people of this country would rather watch Millionaire players and teams owned by Billionaires than listen to class warfare!

#17 ripsrips, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  18. ConanTheBarber

Gold Member

Sad, how poor he is at knowing how to project the aura of power.
    Also sad that he has to get into that game.
    But he has to.
    And he sho' don't know it.

19. snakembl14

snakembl14 New Member

"I can assure you, for all you football fans, that he will be completed before kickoff," White House Spokesman Jay Carney said in his Thursday press briefing.

Better be...or there will be drunk rioting here in Green Bay!

20. NYCdude

NYCdude Member

Dazed and confused, why on earth can't you attack Ron Paul's platform? Because he never waivers? He thinks the civil war was nothing but a powerplay, citing every other country got rid of slavery without a war - sure he doesn't waiver in this, but he's not waivering in being wrong. He believes in pure isolationism - this can be attacked (just not from the neo-con side). He doesn't believe in the federal government ruling on things such as civil rights - this can be attacked. He doesn't believe in affirmative action - this also can be attacked. Pure Libertarianism is no less a utopia than communism.

Draft saved Draft deleted