Obama Campaign Promise: Repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell -- At Hand?

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Sixty-nine percent of respondents to a Gallup poll on DADT favor overturning the policy, including 58% of those who self-describe as "conservative".

I frankly can't imagine there ever being greater popular support for gays in the military than this. The foot-dragging is inexcusable.

B_Mister Buildington

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
So, they're willing to go on the front lines to die for our country but not up to standing next to a person who is openly gay? I'm not sure if I should roll my eyes or laugh at that really bad argument. Perhaps both?
:rolleyes: :rofl:

It isn't that bad of an argument. Military polling and civilian polling show very different reactions to the idea of gays in uniform.

"A 2006 Zogby International poll of military members found that 26% were in favor of gays and lesbians serving in the military, 37% opposed gays and lesbians serving, and 37% expressed no preference or were unsure."
from wikipedia

So, more soldiers oppose gays serving than favor the idea. Should civilians have more of a say in such an issue than soldiers? I don't know, myself, I'm just trying to show that the argument you roll your eyes and laugh at does indeed have merit.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
politically speaking i'm pretty moderate and try to see both sides of issues. i was moderate-left durring bush's administration and i seem to be leaning towards the right now for obama's. i never really had an opinion on this issue even though i'm an army veteran. i have to admit i'm a bit annoyed by this new promise. i believe that the majority of gay americans who really want to serve are serving now. i also know that the military is pretty homophobic. i was in the infantry which probably might be more so than the rest of the army, so maybe my view is off. i see this as hurting more people than helping, infact i dont know if this will help much if at all?
hate crimes will most likely erupt in retaliation and i dont believe there will be an increase in enlistment. my experiences involving DADT were that, unless you had photographic or sworn proof of witnessing the physical act by another, they would laugh at you for using as an excuse to leave. this was also in peacetime when recruitment wasn't a priority.

and its not that i dont believe that gays should be in the military, but i think the issue isnt being given the proper respect and sensitivity that it merits. the military world is much different than the civilian world.

I'd be interested to hear your reaction to this article:
Straight Guys Tell | Politics | Advocate.com

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It isn't that bad of an argument. Military polling and civilian polling show very different reactions to the idea of gays in uniform.

That's a cop-out as well as a disingenuous statement.
People who have a problem with homosexuality show different reactions to gay people in general. That's regardless of whether or not they're in uniform.

"A 2006 Zogby International poll of military members found that 26% were in favor of gays and lesbians serving in the military, 37% opposed gays and lesbians serving, and 37% expressed no preference or were unsure."
from wikipedia

And that's a disingenuous survey.
There has been extensive research on the issue of homosexuality in the world of Science & Psychology and there's nothing a 2006 survey that only questions a handful of Military workers can say to discredit or change it. Being opposed to gays & lesbians is nothing more than a discriminating fear generated in the minds of people who do not like the idea of tolerating someone that is different from themselves. It's also fueled by their convoluted beliefs of sexuality and what some people consider as socially acceptable in everyday society. Considering that you're on a site where the general topic is big dicks, you should know this.

So, more soldiers oppose gays serving than favor the idea. Should civilians have more of a say in such an issue than soldiers? I don't know, myself, I'm just trying to show that the argument you roll your eyes and laugh at does indeed have merit.

I still roll my eyes at it. :rolleyes:
The Military, beyond everything else, is a JOB. Just like any other place of employment, state & federal laws are strict about discrimination on the workplace. Why should the Military be any different? I mean, if you knew the person sitting next to you at your job was gay would it affect your ability to do the tasks you were hired for? Is worrying about whether or not your bunk mate sucks dick more important than preventing yourself and your comrades from getting shot by the enemy? If the issue is being the best that you can be, wouldn't it be safe to suggest that we shouldn't even be considering people with such archaic beliefs as THEY could be the ones displaying some kind of deficiency that prevents THEM from doing their job?

If McDonald's can enforce rules to prevent unfair treatment to gays & lesbians just to flip a burger, then there's no excuse for anyone in the Military.

Last edited:

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I see no reason in the world for Nick of the Sixes to volunteer as "meat for the grinder."

Nick?

actually when I turned 18, I did present myself to the Army and Navy Special Forces recruiters

my eyesight is poor enough to prevent their being able to accept me (13/400, near-sighted, and astigmatic)
:mad:

might have been for the best -- I could have become an arms merchant, or mercenary afterward, given that the next few years following that birthday proved pivotal in the formation of my character and outlook; even wonder if I'd be gay now ...

I often wonder
:scratchchin: