Obama continues to be a terrible president

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Davy_Downspout, Jul 5, 2011.

1. D_Davy_Downspout

D_Davy_Downspout Account Disabled

NYT: Health care cuts proposed in deficit negotiations - politics - The New York Times - msnbc.com

Oh look, Obama pre-caved in situation where he didn't have to. But don't worry guys, it's not that he is a pro-corporate conservetive shitheel, it's that he just keeps doing things like one because he has no other choice.

It's always the other guy forcing him to look bad, he's just trying to do his best. What's a centrist to do but propose legislation that's to the right of Bush?

2. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

Such cuts could be restored down the line, if the country ever regains its electoral sanity and gives the House back to the Dems (and keeps the Senate and the White House Dem).

Maybe only the voters can break the backs of these rigid ideologues who are holding our country back.

And where are all those jobs that Boehner promised?

3. D_Davy_Downspout

No, you don't get it. Obama didn't need to make these cuts, he offered them. The debt ceiling was going to get raised either way.

The Democrats aren't your solution. They had a majority in both houses and the presidency and couldn't resist being pro-corporate conservative shits.

4. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

So what should his negotiating position have been?

5. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ah, Obama continues to prove that old (and still very true) American political maxim: Democrats are great at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. *facepalm*

6. houtx48

Gold Member

"Obama continues to be a terrible president"..............and yet I trust him farther than any Republican that has been elected or not elected in the past 40 years.

7. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

Let's see what the political backlash is if these Medicare/Medicaid cuts are part of the plan to raise the debt ceiling.

8. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Fixed it for ya. :cool:

In this instance one would have to agree.

9. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    This.

10. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

I don't think that Obama or any politician really cares about anything except getting reelected and gaining more power for their party. I agree with others that Obama is better than Republicans but not by much. On social issues at least there is some minimal amount of credibility. With born-again Bush we were headed for the dark ages.

11. backwoodsstud

backwoodsstud Member

Oh well.2012 is rapidly approaching and we get a chance to fire him.

12. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Can we jettison the Southern states- PLEASE???

13. houtx48

Gold Member

I see where he has told the Republicans that he is willing to put cuts on the table. Maybe it is a bluff, the Repbs don't want to take by pissing off the largest voting block in the history of the USA, the baby boomers. This could get interesting.

14. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

Lincoln had the chance, and he blew it.

15. D_Percy_Prettywillie

D_Percy_Prettywillie Account Disabled

Seriously. The ignorant, red neck half of the country is whats wrong with it and what has been wrong with it since... the very beginning. I'm not saying there aren't any great people in the south. There are. But ideologically speaking the issues we can't seem to parse come from that region.

JSZ

16. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I get REAL irritated that stupid redneck Senators from square conservative states get to dictate issues affecting California- among the top 10 economies in the world, far outranking even Texas and New York. Jettison the South. We don't need them. California has plenty of farmland for the remaining states. Do it, and see if they can survive without the largess of the blue states.

17. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

I don't know. It seems like Obama likes to jump the gun on giving away the store. I read tonight that he is even looking for higher cuts. Maybe he thinks these proposals will make the opposition more flexible on the tax question. It will be interesting to see how the tax issue comes out in the end.

P.S. The fact that I stated earlier that the Medicare/Medicaid cuts he proposed yesterday could be restored down the line sometime doesn't mean I think, given more time to consider it, that it was the best position to take at the beginning of this stage of the negotiations.

#17 B_RedDude, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  18. D_Davy_Downspout

One that didn't involve giving them everything they wanted?

Here's the thing: He didn't have to negotiate anything. This was all political theater. The debt ceiling has been raised over 70 times before, and it always gets raised, because the consequences of not doing so are disastrous.

The last time the GOP threatened to do this, Clinton just said the first thing that would get defunded in the default would be SS payments...and they shut up and passed it.

Both parties admitted months ago that they knew it would be passed. It's a done deal. This is just show for the people who think that deficits matter or that Washington cares about them.

The GOP is using the "Crazy Man" negotiating strategy here. Where they claim they will totally blow up this fucking building unless they get what they want. And people are buying it.

This is why Obama's a terrible president. He happily agrees to legislation that would have been considered insanely right wing under fucking BUSH, and the base eats it up, because it's coming from someone with the cherished "D" after their name. Bush couldn't get SS privatized, let alone cut, without Democrats screaming. Obama, has already cut the tax that funds SS, which nobody has ever done before, and not even the GOP asked for. He's been talking about actually cutting benefits for months now, something not even Bush tried.

So remember, when Medicare won't pay for grandmas treatments, it was very important for you to trust someone based on their party affiliation.

Them getting restored is a pipe dream. Just like the bush tax cuts ever ending. If you've been paying attention to what Obama has been saying, it's clear that ending the Bush/Obama tax cuts for the wealthy is something that's completely off the table. At this point they've retreated to maybe closing a few minor tax loopholes.

Now Obama wants to give the GOP twice what they asked for.

What a negotiator! Sure glad we have him instead of a filthy Republican!

#18 D_Davy_Downspout, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  19. Horrible

Horrible New Member

Albums:
    Isn't California on the verge of bankruptcy?

The GDP of California is 1/2 of Texas. And with over 12 million more residents, the monetary GSP is less than 800,000$.

Maybe you should know what you're talking about before you talk shit.

20. sargon20

Gold Member

Well I'm from Missouri 'The Show Me' state. Show me were you got those numbers.

Draft saved Draft deleted