Obama denigrates Justice Thomas.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wyldgusechaz, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

He said he was unqualified to be a Supreme Court Justice and really not very intelligent.

He also critiqued Justice's Roberts and Scalia but said they WERE intelligent.

His claims about Justice Thomas are rather outrageous.

This is Justice Thomas' early career: From 1974 to 1977, Thomas was an Assistant Attorney General of Missouri under then State Attorney General John Danforth. When Danforth was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1976 to 1979, Thomas left to become an attorney with Monsanto in St. Louis, Missouri. He returned to work for Danforth from 1979 to 1981 as a Legislative Assistant. Both men shared a common bond in that both had studied to be ordained (although Thomas was Roman Catholic and Danforth was ordained Episcopalian). Danforth was to be instrumental in championing Thomas for the Supreme Court.
    In 1981, he joined the Reagan administration. From 1981 to 1982, he served as Assistant Secretary of Education for the Office of Civil Rights in the U.S. Department of Education. From 1982 to 1990 he was Chairman of the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission ("EEOC").
    In 1990, President George H. W. Bush appointed Thomas to the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

I am not sure Barack Obama has those sorts of credentials. He has basically been a non participant in the Senate, holding no hearings of note or proposing little in the way of legislation. That does not mean he can't be a terrific President, but it certainly doesn't give him the right to rip a man who has been duty bound since 1974. .Cmon, you just can't stumble into being a Supreme Court Justice. You get approved by Congress. I think he gets ripped cause he is a conservative. The guy comes from small town South Carolina, born into poverty Gullah heritage and fought his way out. Thats a helluva accomplishment. But he follows Professor Sowell so he gets toasted.

2. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    um, yes, he did practically stumble into the supreme court or perhaps your memory of the events of that year are fuzzy.

and frankly Thomas has been criticized by many over the years as being a lazy jurist. he occupies a seat at the bench and that's about all. he has never written an opinion since he was seated.

3. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Prior to his controversial appointment to the high court, Clarence Thomas received the lowest possible rating by the American Bar Association's review of potential Supreme Court justices. Thomas barely escaped a "not qualified" evaluation.

4. Principessa

Gold Member

Oh please. :12: You used to be nice and reasonably normal but lately your posts are intentionally inflammatory and provoking of arguments rather than discussion. Shouldn't you be in the basement waiting out Hurricane Fay? :mad:

Nobody with half a brain likes or trusts Clarence Thomas regardless of their color. Are you aware he is married to Barbara Bush's sister? That's right politics certainly do make strange bedfellows, don't they.

Regarding this: From 1982 to 1990 he was Chairman of the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission ("EEOC"). My dad worked for the EEOC under Mr. Thomas during this time. It was not unusual for a grievance to be filed in my dads office. After an investigation both he and the admiral would sign off on it. Then it went to Clarence Thomas for final approval and he would invariably veto any attempt to side with the plaintiff (aka victim). It didn't matter how obvious and blatant the harassment was he would veto it. Many cases had nothing to do with race but were in fact related to sexual harassment.

The despicable and ungentlemanly behavior which Justice Thomas displays on a near daily basis is enough to denigrate himself. I really don't see how Obama could do him any harm.

IMHO Clarence Thomas is a disgrace to the bench, the country, and black people. He is worse than an Uncle Tom.

5. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

OK. I guess I am wrong. I did not think he was that bad. I pretty much thought he was an average SCJ. But being an average SCJ is like being an Olympian who doesn't place. Still a pretty decent accomplishment.

I guess he is a stiff.

6. Principessa

Gold Member

Being an average Supreme Court Justice is more like being the best surfer in Kansas. :tongue:

He's a putz.

7. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Even assuming Anita Hill was a raving lunatic whose accusations were 100.00% fabricated, Thomas is by all accounts the most despised justice on the planet.

A first-year Computer Science major at a friendly local community college could write a program predicting "his" "opinions" with 100.00% accuracy.

Here is a code sample:

IF CASE = 'JAY_WALKING'
    THEN OPINION = 'FRY_THEM'
    ELSE OPINION = 'FRY_THEM_ALSO'
    END SCALIA_THOMAS PROGRAM

His ultra-simplistic constitutional views ("Hmmm! WTF do you think the 18th century founding fathers meant?") time and again mirror Scalia's (the other far-right bigot with the redeeming musical-sounding Mafia name).

The fugly schmock could not even resign himself to killing the screamingly backward Texas sodomy laws...

Eeeeck!

8. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Thomas spent the minimum required time as a judge to qualify for appointment... He has zero credentials or experience in constitutional law prior to being appointed.

The problem with Anita Hill debacle was that it distracted everyone from the fact that he was NOT a good candidate.

His writing reveal a mediocre mind with little comprehension of the issues the court deals with.

As to Scalia... sorry, he may seem clever, but he's a functional idiot. And a Fucktard.
    He actually stated ON CAMERA that torture was not forbidden by the constitution's prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment because torturing a prisoner for not answering questions was not a "punishment".

( duh, Scalia... if they don't answer, you 'punish' them with pain. )
    The imbecile sees no implied right to privacy in the bill of right guarantee that a citizen has a right to expect to be secure in his person, correspondence and possessions. And that this right is so critical that a judge must issue a warrant for government to access them.

Scalia's the worst of a bad bunch.

One of the stupidest men ever to sit the bench.

9. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

I just want to point out that being appointed by Congress doesn't guarantee competence in the position. Those in Congress are elected by the same people that gave us 12 years of the Bush family plus numerous other Presidential follies.

10. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Did he really say this? I would like to see a link to a article.

#10 Mr. Snakey, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  11. sargon20

Gold Member

And Scalia is the kind of judge McCain has said he would nominate to the court. It cannot be overstated what is at stake in this election. The 5-4 rulings that have kept this country from going back 100 years will be over and back in time the country will hurdle. If you've ever read Scalia's opinion's they are literally scary.

No need to even discuss the utterly incompetent Thomas who seems to wake up every afternoon long enough to ask Scalia 'Yo how you votin? Count me in.'

HILARIOUS!!!!

#11 sargon20, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  12. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

Yesterdays print edition of the Wall Street Journal has his quotes. First editorial.

13. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Thats really low class. Its Jimmy fucking Carter again or even worse. Head for the hills.:biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted