Obama Eyeing Internet ID for Americans

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Combine that digital ID with RFID chips implanted in everyone, make it sound "harmless", in this case, a "not having to remember all of your passwords", and we have a police state in a one-world government controlling your every move.

Hillary tried the same thing under the guise of using the RFID implanted chips for "holding personal medical records".

If we allow this, we are truly screwed! (although it's gonna happen anyway)

gigantor68

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Combine that digital ID with RFID chips implanted in everyone, make it sound "harmless", in this case, a "not having to remember all of your passwords", and we have a police state in a one-world government controlling your every move.

Hillary tried the same thing under the guise of using the RFID implanted chips for "holding personal medical records".

If we allow this, we are truly screwed! (although it's gonna happen anyway)

I don't see the problem, if you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to worry about.

Have a national ID card and let people decide what they want linked to it. Surely beats having a stack of cards and might actually be better security for everyone.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't see the problem, if you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to worry about.

That is the worst reason for justifying loss of privacy I can think of. Whether I have something to hide or not is my business, not the government's business.

There has never been a government in the history of man that did not abuse the power of its executive branch.

This is the major premise of the US Constitution. Its main goal is to protect the citizens from abuses of the government. And in the USA, we take this very seriously.

I don't argue with the fact that this makes it difficult to create a totally secure state. But that is the price of liberty. A totally secure state is one where it is guaranteed that the executive branch will abuse its power.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There is something scary about that OP article. Read it carefully and all you find as a justification for this national digital ID is that it is inconvenient to remember a bunch of passwords.

I am a social and fiscial liberal, but I am also somewhat of a libertarian. Contradictory, I know, but inconvenience is a really poor excuse for the government to get involved. There are too many other more pressing things that government should be doing.

SpiceFromIndia

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

Have a national ID card and let people decide what they want linked to it. Surely beats having a stack of cards and might actually be better security for everyone.

You do not have understanding of the consequences if this is implemented. Do you ?

SpiceFromIndia

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Seems like American government is acting too crazy, I better plan to leave the place of all this craziness. How do they sell america to all the foreign talents ?? Country of Free ... yeah right ..

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

THAT is a piss-poor excuse for giving up *ANY* freedoms, however small. Anyone who thinks like that is thoroughly UN-American and clearly does not have America's or her people's best interest at heart. Whether or not someone has something to hide is irrelevant. Did it ever occur to you that maybe someone is purposely hiding something that is actually protecting the people from actual harm, and that if it got out, would cause serious harm to the public at large? Did you also not get that what they propose is another way to track and control us with pinpoint accuracy?

There is something scary about that OP article. Read it carefully and all you find as a justification for this national digital ID is that it is inconvenient to remember a bunch of passwords.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that!

Either way, it's not looking so bright. We don't need terrorists, we're doing a good enough job terrorizing ourselves.

AMEN to that!

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Your arguments about privacy are silly. Do you honestly think there is any privacy on the Internet? Unless you only use a public computer and go to great lengths to never reveal any personal information, pretty much anyone tech-savy can already track every click you make.

Wake up to the 21st century.
It's been 10 full years already

Oh, and I'm as American as anyone else in the ever-widening political divide.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
We already have internet IDs. They're called IP addresses. Those with static ones are more identifiable than others. Those with dynamic ones may be harder to pinpoint, although logs with any ISP can help distinguish one user from another.

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Your arguments about privacy are silly. Do you honestly think there is any privacy on the Internet? Unless you only use a public computer and go to great lengths to never reveal any personal information, pretty much anyone tech-savy can already track every click you make.

Only if you're running Windows or Mac. If you're running Open Source, that can be fixed

Wake up to the 21st century.
It's been 10 full years already

Oh, and I'm as American as anyone else in the ever-widening political divide. Not if you're willing to surrender freedoms and liberties however small for the illusion of security, which is exactly what it would be.

Is Obama reading from the Bush playbook on this one?
Nope, Bush was never that smart. That tactic would be straight out of the Al Gore play book. Because he is the self-proclaimed "father of the internet" ya know! :biggrin1: