ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media

Alecia19

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think under the circumstances's he's gotta quite abit right. If he's made a mistake at all i would think it was trying to reach across party lines on the right.

conntom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think under the circumstances's he's gotta quite abit right. If he's made a mistake at all i would think it was trying to reach across party lines on the right.

Well, let us all just celebrate this one act that most of us here can agree was the right thing and long overdue.

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
This was definitely a good initiative from Obama. I definitely don't envy the line he's trying to tow between fulfilling his agenda and trying not to legislate from the Oval Office.

conntom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A power of attorney would accomplish the same thing. People need to THINK instead of being so damned emotional all the time.

Unless there was no time to set it up.

A person's loved one should be able to be there for them. There is a lot I'm willing to deny people whom are lazy or ill prepared for living their life but this isn't one of them.

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
A power of attorney would accomplish the same thing. People need to THINK instead of being so damned emotional all the time.
In fact, the woman whose case pushed Obama to make this decision was one in which Power of Attorney was ignored. Even though she had Power of Attorney, she was not given key information about her partner's condition, and they didn't even let her know when they had moved her. They let her see her partner during last rites and when her partner's sister was there only.

justasimpleguy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
As people were saying, they have to make it all law so people who have living wills and power of attorney don't get turned away by some fuckass nurse or doctor who doesn't like gays. It has happened many times and been well-documented.

lurker37160

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As people were saying, they have to make it all law so people who have living wills and power of attorney don't get turned away by some fuckass nurse or doctor who doesn't like gays. It has happened many times and been well-documented.

It is highly unlikely that a properly executed power of attorney would be ignored by the hospital admisitrator if he/she knows it exists. People in this unfortunate situation should ask for a patient advocate representative that most hospitals have available. Regardless of how much a hospital employee hates queers, it's doubtful they would blantantly invite a law suit.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It is highly unlikely that a properly executed power of attorney would be ignored by the hospital admisitrator if he/she knows it exists. People in this unfortunate situation should ask for a patient advocate representative that most hospitals have available. Regardless of how much a hospital employee hates queers, it's doubtful they would blantantly invite a law suit.
It happens all the time.......I guess you didn't watch this:
YouTube - BREAKING: Pres Obama Orders Same-Sex Couples Hospital Visitation Rights!

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What took so long?
Too many bigots in government. (mostly Republicans, but there are some 'centrist' Dems who are cowards too)

btw, I like your avatar. Who wouldn't be happy to see her coming to your table? She's got a great smile and is carrying half a keg of beer! What a woman!

Last edited:

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It STILL happens:
Clay and his partner of 20 years, Harold, lived in California. Clay and Harold made diligent efforts to protect their legal rights, and had their legal paperwork in place--wills, powers of attorney, and medical directives, all naming each other. Harold was 88 years old and in frail medical condition, but still living at home with Clay, 77, who was in good health.
One evening, Harold fell down the front steps of their home and was taken to the hospital. Based on their medical directives alone, Clay should have been consulted in Harold's care from the first moment. Tragically, county and health care workers instead refused to allow Clay to see http://www.bilerico.com/2010/04/elderly_man-thumb-250x177-10952.jpgHarold in the hospital. The county then ultimately went one step further by isolating the couple from each other, placing the men in separate nursing homes.

Sonoma County CA separates elderly gay couple and sells all of their worldly possessions | The Bilerico Project

lurker37160

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It STILL happens:
Clay and his partner of 20 years, Harold, lived in California. Clay and Harold made diligent efforts to protect their legal rights, and had their legal paperwork in place--wills, powers of attorney, and medical directives, all naming each other. Harold was 88 years old and in frail medical condition, but still living at home with Clay, 77, who was in good health.
One evening, Harold fell down the front steps of their home and was taken to the hospital. Based on their medical directives alone, Clay should have been consulted in Harold's care from the first moment. Tragically, county and health care workers instead refused to allow Clay to see Harold in the hospital. The county then ultimately went one step further by isolating the couple from each other, placing the men in separate nursing homes.

Sonoma County CA separates elderly gay couple and sells all of their worldly possessions | The Bilerico Project

You left out the most important part of the story. I hope it was an oversight instead of an attempt to further inflame. See below.

With the help of a dedicated and persistent court-appointed attorney, Anne Dennis of Santa Rosa, Clay was finally released from the nursing home. Ms. Dennis, along with Stephen O'Neill and Margaret Flynn of Tarkington, O'Neill, Barrack & Chong, now represent Clay in a lawsuit against the county, the auction company, and the nursing home, with technical assistance from NCLR. A trial date has been set for July 16, 2010 in the Superior Court for the County of Sonoma.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You left out the most important part of the story. I hope it was an oversight instead of an attempt to further inflame. See below.

With the help of a dedicated and persistent court-appointed attorney, Anne Dennis of Santa Rosa, Clay was finally released from the nursing home. Ms. Dennis, along with Stephen O'Neill and Margaret Flynn of Tarkington, O'Neill, Barrack & Chong, now represent Clay in a lawsuit against the county, the auction company, and the nursing home, with technical assistance from NCLR. A trial date has been set for July 16, 2010 in the Superior Court for the County of Sonoma.
Oh so this is a GOOD story because the 2 guys had to get an attorney and sue the county?? No need for me to inflame, the county did that all by themselves because of the action they took. Despite having drawn up ALL of the legal paper work, the county chose to ignore it and the 2 men's relationship. I hope they get a LARGE settlement.

cruztbone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Obama has gotten it correct most of the time. Now that you are awake maybe you will pay attention. This nation is in recovery and is a better place to live because of his leadership.