Obama fires Inspector General for doing his job

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Trinity, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Trinity

Trinity New Member

Ignored by the mainstream media...read the whole article.
    New documents: White House scrambled to justify AmeriCorps firing after the fact, by Byron York Chief Political Correspondent, Washington Examiner

2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

This makes anti-Obama thread number 4587523489578904570985643 for the forum troll. We get it, mama. Now go back to the birther thread and defend your already shattered honor there. :rolleyes:

3. B_Mister Buildington

Thanks for posting news stories that most people wouldn't for fear of being hated and jeered at, Trinity. It's good to have people yelling on both sides, otherwise this board is PURELY masturbatory. (like so many other boards on lpsg :tongue:)

4. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    There a point to this thread other than masturbatory anti-Obama sentiment that I'm missing?

5. justasimpleguy

justasimpleguy Active Member

Albums:
    "Republican investigators concluded" durrrrr

6. BF2K

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    facts are a funny thing - they seem to keep coming back to haunt you.

7. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Fixed for accuracy.

8. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    By that you mean the 99.99999999999% of LPSG that still thinks Obama is perfect, and spends every waking minute obfuscating on Palin, whilst proclaiming she merely is just providing comic relief... yeah "both sides".

9. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

And by this, it's obvious that you haven't been paying attention.
    Take another bump, FaceQueen... :rolleyes:

10. Trinity

Trinity New Member

When you tell the truth on Bush it is simply - the truth. When the truth is reported on Obama then it's anti-Obama. :rolleyes:

11. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

"Victim" isn't your color so stop trying to wear it. :rolleyes:

12. Trinity

Trinity New Member

The only victim is you...you are a victim of a weak mind unable to comprehend the simplest information. Maybe you need to read it again until you get it.

13. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Seriously, forum troll, can you dream up another 50,000 ways to say someone is stupid for not agreeing with you? My GOD, you'd think after all of the insults you've been bashed with on the birther thread you'd have more material than this.

You even make one trick ponies look more intelligent. :rolleyes:

14. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh for Christ's sake, grow a pair. Why not read into what Trinity posts instead of berating the person merely for expressing an opinion? You know what the opinion is, so either allow its expression, or prove yourself a proponent of one-sided discussion. Just because Trinity is rabidy anti-obama doesn't make her a troll. She's TRYING to provoke some thought. While I dismiss a lot of her threads as shrill and pointless, this one might just have a shred of truth to it. I mean, firing someone for looking too deep and disagreeing sounds like something that Bush would do? Why wouldn't Obama? Is he really that much less corrupt? He's a fucking major party politician.

15. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Qua, out of all of the Conservatives on this board you're one of the last ones I actually have respect for. If it wasn't for you, I would have lost hope for the contingency that linger about on this forum. And I don't insult you. So please, watch it.

I have no problem discussing anything toe to toe with anyone here. You should know that first hand because we've engaged in some debates as well. But do we HONESTLY need to go through the last 18 month post history of Trinity to show that her so-called "concerned citizen" routine is a bunch of bullshit? Everything she has ever typed is infested with distorted facts, half truths and polarizing political propaganda. Please keep in mind, I'm not saying this about "conservatives" because if I were then you'd be included in that sweeping generalization. This is all about Trinity now.

This thread is just yet another one of her countless threads, geared to do nothing but smear. That's all she's ever done since Hillary Clinton lost the primary, and the act is beyond played out. And we all knew that bullshit was one big act too. She's not here to discuss things to find solutions. She's not here to look at things objectively. She's just here to whine and bitch that America didn't fall for the pseudo Vagina Monologue that was Sarah Palin. For Christ's sake, she believes Obama is a Kenyan. Even you know better than that.

I don't care if she types in a "respectable tone" either. Even the most gifted of scribers can find a diplomatic way to talk a lot of hateful, discriminative garbage. It's exactly why propaganda works so well in any form because it's geared to look nicer than it really is. And I'm not apologetic if I don't always respond in a like minded fashion to put on some facade of maturity either. I can tell anyone that, "Your rash, judgmental assessment of my theorized scribe pertaining to my adversary was unsound" if I was obsessed about looking like a mature thinker that respects everyone. But actions speak much louder than words. After 18 months, and close to 50+ original threads of distorted, politically dividing nonsense from Trinity you can read right through her so-called civility if you choose to. So forgive me if I don't cater to the lip service, and instead tell her point blank that she doesn't know what the f*** she's talking about. But I digress...

Even a so-called "libtard" like me knows Obama isn't perfect and have openly criticized him on this board in several threads. Many people, including yourself, never notice that because you see the word "liberal" every time you see my avatar. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that EVERY politician has fired someone at one time or another for disagreements, even if the terminated was in the right or not. Plus, do we really need to read about this so-called travesty of justice on one slanted news source then jump to conclusions as the OP clearly has done?

So really, what was the REAL motive for Trinity to start this thread and word it in such a way to suggest that Obama "fired someone" for doing what they were told to do? If you can't see the ultimate goal in her actions, then there's no reason for anyone of us to even discuss the details.

BTW, I have a set and I have no problem putting them on the line when I discuss anything on this board. Very few of the anti-Liberal mindset are willing to put aside the partisan bullshit and meet me head on because at that point it doesn't become about liberal vs. conservative, Democrat vs. Republican or whatever ideology one has been brainwashed with... it gets personal. Sadly, some of the most outspoken anonymous among us have no problem hiding behind a wall of other people's opinions, acting as if they can find one, two or even ten websites that all say the same thing that their beliefs must be "true".

Deep down, I really don't give a damn what Byron York thinks on this subject matter and I don't give a rat's ass if other politicians, pundits, celebrities, teabaggers or conspiracy theorists agree with him. Just give us a detailed timeline of activity, WITHOUT the slanted insight, and let us as adults come to the conclusion ourselves.

You can find a million people to agree that 1+2=4 and find other opinionated sources to support your view, but that doesn't mean anyone that doesn't follow it can't see "the truth" or "don't comprehend" what is going on. However, THAT is essentially what will happen if anyone engages Trinity in a discussion on this thread with an opinion that does not completely align with her already preconceived one. This is the same kind of idiotic argumentative stance she's adhered to for the last 18 months. Of course, since I'm a "liberal" that makes me the blind one, right? If that's the case, then how come I can easily summarize her tactics this quickly, knowing EXACTLY what kind of response she would generate if she even dared to respond to it?

If anyone needs a set of balls, it's people like her. All politics aside, Qua, think about who you're trying to defend here.

16. Sergeant_Torpedo

Gold Member

It was a political decision then? Please note: this is what politicians do. But will you remember it at the next election: no.

17. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Who said anything about Bush?

Maybe you should join the rest of us here in 2009, dude.

Or, at the very least, make an effort to stay on topic. That topic being, apparently, anti-Obama right-wing nut-job verbal masturbation.

18. Trinity

Trinity New Member

The topic is Obama fired the Inspector General for doing his job. Join the topic or keep calling ridiculous names that only reveal that you are avoiding the shortcomings of Obama.

19. D_Diesel Oyl

D_Diesel Oyl New Member

You know what, it is what it is. They got rid of this guy and they figured they could weather the small political storm regarding it. But it does raise questions - you have to admit it looks a bit sketchy.

And it's always unfortunate when this happens, no matter who the president.

20. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

So, let's do something that the OP would never do in a case like this... How about a nice game of "Connect The Dots"? :biggrin:

According to the hack job of information our beloved OP has posted, Obama fired Gerald Walpin, the former Inspector General of the Corporation for National and Community Service that was appointed by George W. Bush in 2006. If your read through the article, you see a detailed account on how Walpin was fired, according to the reliable "Republican investigators" (because for some reason, the OP thinks you can COMPLETELY trust this side of the political fringe but not the other). However, towards the end of it they state that the key motive behind the firing was due to Walpin's aggressive investigation of misuse of AmeriCorps funds by Kevin Johnson.

So, who is Kevin Johnson? Besides being a former basketball player (and rather sexy to boot, but let's not get sidetracked), he is the mayor of Sacramento, California as well as an ally of President Obama. He also founded an organization called the St. Hope Academy, a nonprofit community development corporation which sought out to revitalize communities through public education, civic leadership, economic development and the arts, in 1989 and served as its CEO till January 2008. They've also created seven public schools that provide education to almost 2000 students.

In April of this year, an announcement was made that St. Hope Academy had agreed to pay slightly more than $400K over ten years in a settlement over an argument that blames them for not using funds provided by AmeriCorps adequately, which incidentally represents half of the money that was issued to the St. Hope Academy over a period of three years from 2004 through 2007. In this settlement, St. Hope Academy admitted that they made mistakes in documenting a portion of the grants given to them by AmeriCorps, although the actual amount has yet to be provided nor do we know what this money was actually spent on... for now. The St. Hope Academy was suspended from receiving anymore federal funding until September of last year when The Corporation for National and Community Service reversed it, allowing St. Hope Academy to receive stimulus funds.

Nobody knows for certain the exact details of Walpin’s investigation. But in July he filed a lawsuit seeking his reinstatement on the grounds that his firing violated a 2008 law meant to protect government watchdogs. He also stated that his termination was "politically motivated" all due to the investigation he was conducting on Johnson. Another key piece of information not stated in the OP's original post OR the article linked was that U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of California, Lawrence G. Brown, said the inspector general was "out of bounds" in pushing his case against the mayor and hindered the prosecutor's own investigation. And earlier this month, Walpin announced that he was cleared by the Integrity Committee of the Council of the Inspectors General for Integrity and Efficiency for "overstepping his authority" in the investigation.

Which now brings forth the following question: Why was Walpin doing his own snooping on the matter when an investigation was already under way? Perhaps this additional info holds some more clues...

According to an article from the Washington Times from April 9, 2009, notes from a board meeting during which Walpin's investigations of St. Hope Academy and the City University of New York's use of AmeriCorps grants were discussed. Inside these notes were accusations brought up by the Inspector General regarding the use of AmeriCorps members to engage in political activities and perform personal errands for Kevin Johnson. There was also a draft audit report questioning $773,000 in grant dollars and $16M in education awards based on “evidence of pervasive management issues” concerning the NYC Teaching Fellows Program of City University of New York.

According to another article from the Washington Times around the same time, The Teaching Fellows Program at CUNY reportedly had no AmeriCorps connection. The program, however, was rather popular, enrolling 19,200 applicants last year for 3,000 spots. CUNY does not advertise an AmeriCorps affiliation as an inducement for applicants, plus a survey by Mr. Walpin's office found that most fellows were not even aware there was an AmeriCorps connection. It goes on to claim that AmeriCorps has granted each fellow up to $9,450 on top of their scholarships for the last six years. Walpin described the AmeriCorps cash looked more like a gratuity, "because it adds no service to the community which is not already provided by the Fellows Program." He then goes on to praise the Fellows Program, but then states the AmeriCorps funding is far from essential for it, assessing that grants “upwards of $80 million of taxpayer money” would be far better used for other purposes.

So, what is The NYC Teaching Fellows Program you may ask? It’s part of the New Teacher’s Project, which helps to further education efforts in areas where there are many low-income students. They currently have programs in nine other cities including Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C.

Something tells me we've been down this road before, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

This is the type of information Trinity purposely leaves out in threads. It’s info that is also conveniently left out of the story she linked to, in another ill-witted attempt to say that Obama is “beating up” on innocent people who are just doing their job. Although I don’t know enough to say whether or not Walpin deserved to get fired from his job, nor would I speculate on whether or not his actions were appropriate in investigating Kevin Johnson, St. Hope Academy, CUNY or The NYC Teaching Fellows Program, I will pose this final question. If investing AmeriCorp funds, or an estimated $80 Million taxpayer dollars in our nation’s poor youth to help them get a better education is not in our best interest, then WHAT THE FUCK IS? :mad:

So to the OP or any other so-called “enlightened” anti-government people out there who claim that people like me don’t "comprehend" anything... who claim I don't know the full story, or are quick to label me as a “blind liberal” who worships Obama… do you have any worthy, non polarizing comments regarding this? I mean, now that we know a LOT MORE to this story, we can now discuss something in more detail. That is, of course, if this was the OP’s real intention to begin with (alas, we already knew beforehand that it wasn’t).

Your silence is deafening. :rolleyes:

Sources -
    Gerald Walpin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Kevin Johnson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Corporation for National and Community Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    AmeriCorps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Fired inspector general files lawsuit - Washington Times
    UNITED STATES SETTLES CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF ST. HOPE ACADEMY?S SPENDING OF <b style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">AMERICORPS</b> GRANTS AND EDUCATION AWARDS
    Federal Eye - Gerald Walpin Documents
    EDITORIAL: Obama's Walpin-gate problem - Washington Times
    The New Teacher Project: Our Impact / New York City

#20 B_VinylBoy, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted