Obama gets Democratic Nomination

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by flame boy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Barack Obama clinched the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday, becoming the first black candidate to lead a major party into a campaign for the White House. Vanquished rival Hillary Rodham Clinton swiftly signaled an interest in joining the ticket as his running mate.

Obama arranged a victory celebration in St. Paul, Minn., at the site of this summer's Republican National Convention - an in-your-face gesture to Sen. John McCain, who will be his opponent in the race to become the nation's 44th president.

The 46-year-old Obama outlasted Clinton in a historic campaign that sparked record turnouts in primary after primary, yet exposed deep racial and gender divisions within the party.

In a campaign of surprises, Clinton's comments about joining the ticket rated high.

According to one participant in an afternoon conference call among Clinton and members of the New York congressional delegation, Rep. Nydia Velazquez said she believed the best way for Obama to win over Hispanics and members of other key voting blocs would be to take the former first lady as his running mate.

"I am open to it," Clinton replied, if it would help the party's prospects in November, said the participant, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the call was a private matter.

Continue Reading...

2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Tuning into CNN now. And it shows Obama at 2093 delegates and Clinton at 1914. South Dakota polls start to close at 8:00PM EST and Montana closes at 10:00PM EST. Would like to see some kind of official numerical confirmation before finally calling this one way or another.

3. uncut1234

uncut1234 New Member

well then it looks like Mccain is our next president

theres no way a black man will beat a white man

sorry for being the voice of reason..

4. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

It's not the voice of reason. But one of racism.
    Maybe Obama won't be able to beat McCain. I sincerely hope that he can. But learn how to word your statements properly, because saying that a black man can't beat a white man is just flame bait waiting to be consumed.

Let's just put that to rest now before it gets ugly.

5. uncut1234

uncut1234 New Member

how was that racist? its the truth... sorry to break the news to you, i know its a horrible mean world we live in, but theres far too many people that would vote mccain for the sole fact that hes white... and they dont want a black man running our country
    the way i said it might be wrong, but its the truth, im not racist, but im also not afraid of the truth..
    the first time a black man is gona run for president and you think hes gona win? yea itd be nice if eveyrone in the world wasnt racist.. but thats not the case, sorry, welcome to the real world

6. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

RCP has him at 2099.5, so either that news post is presumptive or the site is a bit behind. Either way, the committee won't have any problems swaying 19 more super delegates into his camp.

And Obama stands a really good chance against McCain, regardless of his Vice President. According to analysts (rather than people who assume the majority of the country is racist), he and Clinton both have been predicted to be able to edge out McCain for several weeks now. So given that each of them can beat him alone, as well as the fact that some Hillary supporters are still adamantly opposed to Obama, putting Clinton on his ticket would make for an unstoppable and historically profound duo.

7. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

The way you worded it was racist. Don't worry, I know exactly what you mean but it's nothing more than an opinion. It's not fact, so don't act like it is. That is, unless you have some kind of magical crystal ball that can predict the future.

Too many times we see people trying to throw around their opinions as a fact. But as it stands we have no idea who is going to win in November. As a black man, I know how difficult it is for some to perceive a Black President especially with all of the personal struggles behind race that still exist. The cynic in me partially makes me think that Obama may not win this, but the optimistic side of me tells me to wait it out because it may just happen.

That's a "realistic" view of things. :wink:

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

The numbers for Obama has been slowly climbing on CNN for the last 15-30 minutes. According to their numbers now, he's only 12 delegates away. It does seem as if he's going to finally clinch this. And if by chance Hillary gets the nod for VP, then even better. I know a lot of "independents" would think otherwise, but an Obama/Clinton ticket would be pretty difficult to defeat.

9. B_jacknapier

B_jacknapier New Member

Go get a circumcision, uncut1234.

10. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Yeh I just saw on the complete article that 20 more super delegates have been lined up behind him and are in the process of putting their names in.

My parents are upstairs watching the news, don't know which channel, but the reporter just claimed that Clinton campaign officials said she "may never concede." Abullshittersayswhat?

11. Elmer Gantry

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks, Jack, for another insightful and witty addition to our community.

Fucktard.

12. sargon20

Gold Member

Where oh where is Trinity?

13. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Bent over in the pasture with her head in the ground.

Whether she's hiding or looking for old bullshit to dig up is anybody's guess though.

14. Notaguru2

Gold Member

The total number of Dems that went to the polls to vote in this primary scares the shit out of McCain. Several right-leaning blogs are suggesting that a "wave" may sweep through on Super tuesday and the election could be called for Obama before polls close on the west coast.

This is going to be awesome to behold.

15. Notaguru2

Gold Member

I wouldn't show my avatar here either after all of her rhetoric this week. lol

16. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Let's not forget the fact that McCain has also started cutting all ties with lobbying groups that may hurt his chances at the Presidency... which has meant dismissing several members of his campaign committee. We've all been so focused on Clinton vs. Obama, but through it all, McCain has been sinking fast. He's run out of ballast to throw overboard and has begun to pitch his luggage.

17. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am starting to get scared and have second thoughts about havin' Hillary as V.P. Keepin' her off of the ticket might not engender the kind of rabid republican attack that they would wage against Hillary. But, keeping her off of the ticket would keep a lot of Hillary supporters from voting for Barack or even worst yet, vote for McCain.

Hillary's supporters are basically blackmailing the Obama campaign to make her V.P. That is what these stories of her supporters staying home or voting Republican out of their devotion for Hillary are meant to do. I think that it was propaganda the entire time and not many Clinton supporters were gonna stay home or vote Republican, but they ran bullshit polls stating otherwise. The Clinton people heard this more and more and decided, "What the fuck, I am gonna do that too." and thus the situation developed naturally with the Democratic party splitting in half. VERY well done Hillary...

Now Barack Obama has to put her on the ticket or he will be voting with only 65-70% of the available Democratic vote which won't be enough to beat McCain. It is blackmail pure and simple, and it makes me sick to my stomach.

My parents (In their early 60's) have never heard of this type of behavior in a presidential primary before and are appalled at the Hillary supporters for blackmailing the Obama campaign into giving her the V.P. slot.

Hell, some of her supporters probably still won't vote for Obama because he waged a clean campaign and acted like a real gentleman.

I'd hate to think how rabid they would be if he showed Hillary the same courtesy that she showed him during the Primary? He most likely would have gotten death threats from Hillary supporters if he played as dirty as she did.

Primaries are not for beating the shit out of the members of the your own party, throwing everything that you can at them, hoping to destroy them politically. They are for showing who would be the better Commander in Chief, not who hurls the biggest mudball or who will stoop lower in their attacks...

18. dong20

Gold Member

In a corner, quietly sobbing into her Kool-Aid?

I (genuinely) can't wait to hear her spin this into a Clinton Victory.

19. JustAsking

Gold Member

Yes, I agree. Uncut's statements are sheer opinion, just like saying that America will never tolerate mixed marriages was once an opinion.

As for your mixed optimism and cynicism, I have to say that I understand it. Oddly, as a white man, I can easily see that Obama stands a good chance of getting elected. But I also feel that if I were a black man, I would be more doubtful.

That's the cost of racial oppression, that the oppressed group eventually takes on an inferiority complex and becomes their own worst supporter. It is a kind of racial depression. This is not to say that there is still rampant denial of opportunity, of course, but it is also true that blacks in this country will be doubtful and even angry perhaps long beyond the time where things really improve.

This is why it is perfectly obvious why Rev. Wright preaches the kind of sermons he preaches in his church. How else are you going to reach a congregation that has had hope beaten out of them? When a white person hears those sermons he thinks it is outrageous. When a black person hears them he might possibly have a glimmer of hope for his generation for a few moments.

20. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

No doubt about that.
    Hell, every little primary victory, and the Hillarites were gloating to no end. But a little celebration from the Obamans when he wins one, and suddenly Obama's an elitist and Clinton plays the victim card to pander to her supporters. And now that we're gloating a bit ourselves and celebrating Obama's success, apparently we're jerks in the eyes of the more tenacious Hillarites.

Draft saved Draft deleted