Obama: John McCain was right on taxes for the wealthy!

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's not very articulate, but it sums up what I felt: I didn't think they were doctrinaire (read: stupid) enough to blindly go wherever their ideology took them on economic policy, but I fucking hated McCain's pandering to the agents of intolerance and felt that I couldn't risk yet another right-wing nutjob holding back the progress of civil rights.
Actually, I remember liking some of McCain's stated economic policies better, and I hope that the more tolerant candidate moves closer to McCain's rhetoric in that manner.

As the conservative writer David Frum recently pointed out, "College-educated Americans have come to believe that their money is safe with the Democrats—but that their values are under threat from Republicans."

Are you talking about this David Frum?

In January 2003, he released The Right Man: The Surprise Presidency of George W. Bush, the first insider account of the Bush presidency. Frum is widely cited as having authored the phrase "axis of evil," which he discusses in his book.[7] In fact, though, his original phrasing was "axis of hatred". As the title suggests, Frum also discusses how the events of September 11, 2001 redefined the country and the President. Frum writes, "George W. Bush was hardly the obvious man for the job. But by a very strange fate, he turned out to be, of all unlikely things, the right man."

Can you elaborate on how educated Americans feel that their money is safe with the Democrats?

OldPArtner

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
^It might be because 4.6 cents of every additional dollar isn't such an onerous relative tax burden, and that's only for those who make lots more than the typical college-educated American; oh also the Republicans have proven to no longer be the party of limited government but instead the party of huge, dysfunctional, and malevolent government.
PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEEEEEE. MY PARTY LOST BUT MAYBE I CAN POST ENDLESSLY ABOUT CAMPAIGN PROMISES THAT OBAMA MAY SOMEDAY BREAK BEFORE HE'S EVEN ENTERED OFFICE.
I honestly hope he breaks some campaign promises (but only the ones where he proposes policies that I disagree with:tongue:).

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Can you elaborate on how educated Americans feel that their money is safe with the Democrats?

Umm, Bush the Republican has been President for 8 years right? The economy has gone to shit under his presidency. Bush, the MBA President. Bush, the businessman. So you tell us how great a job the Republican leadership--those great fiscal conservatives have done with the economy? You are not living in reality. Your mind is stuck in some insane dichotomy where you think Republican=no taxes and businesses are thriving and Democrats=welfare and people taking your money. Then economy didn't go to shit under Clinton, who essentially crushed welfare. Clinton, the Democrat. So if you had to choose the economic realities of the 8 years of Bush vs the 8 years of Clinton, which would you choose? Exactly.

And so far Obama has been assembling a team and crafting economic policies which are gathering praise from even Republican leaders. Obama, the Democrat.

Obama names top economic advisers

You can keep maintaining your irrational hatred of Obama or you can give the man the opportunity to impresss or fail you, whatever, but so far, he's defied virtually every expectation and is succeeding on levels that are somewhat unprecedented. I continue to be impressed with his choices and decisions and it's such a welcome change for Bush's 8 years.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Umm, Bush the Republican has been President for 8 years right? The economy has gone to shit under his presidency. Bush, the MBA President. Bush, the businessman. So you tell us how great a job the Republican leadership--those great fiscal conservatives have done with the economy? You are not living in reality.

You are not living in reality if you believe Clinton was responsible for the economic boom of the 90's. The health of the economy is mutually exclusive from the President.

Your mind is stuck in some insane dichotomy where you think Republican=no taxes and businesses are thriving and Democrats=welfare and people taking your money. Then economy didn't go to shit under Clinton, who essentially crushed welfare. Clinton, the Democrat. So if you had to choose the economic realities of the 8 years of Bush vs the 8 years of Clinton, which would you choose? Exactly.
The spending and fiscal performance of the Bush Administration was truly atrocious. Agreed.

You can keep maintaining your irrational hatred of Obama or you can give the man the opportunity to impresss or fail you, whatever, but so far, he's defied virtually every expectation and is succeeding on levels that are somewhat unprecedented.
I don't hate Obama. I'm not a fan, but I do like his economic team. Beyond that, you are giving him entirely too much praise.

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
You are not living in reality if you believe Clinton was responsible for the economic boom of the 90's. The health of the economy is mutually exclusive from the President.

The spending and fiscal performance of the Bush Administration was truly atrocious. Agreed.

I don't hate Obama. I'm not a fan, but I do like his economic team. Beyond that, you are giving him entirely too much praise.

You asked why people are more trusting of Democrats and I explained my theory. Clinton=Democrat=Good times vs Bush=Republican=Shit times. Rightly or wrongly, those the are associations and that would explain why people are trusting the Democrats.

Yes, 8 years of atrocious Bush Administration--keep that in mind when you're expecting Obama to fix things overnight or in 15 days.

Too much praise? That's you're opinion. When an African-American in the US rises from virtually nothing, to galvanize people, raise more money in fund-raising than anyone else in history and gets the votes of 62 million people to become President of the United States, I am suitably impressed and can honestly say he's exceeded every expectation. And now, 2 weeks after being elected, he's impressing Republicans and others who didn't even vote for him with his decision making. Just a day or so ago you were writing that Obama did not know a thing about th economy or business and now you like the team he's put together. Blind luck on Obama's part or potentially he's not as clueless as you you've been making him out to be? At this point, any praise Obama gets is well-deserved in my book.

I don't think he's a miracle worker but as long as you continue search for every flaw and blow it up and post these crazy "Obama is a fraud" threads, myself and others will continue try and counter your perceptions with reality.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You asked why people are more trusting of Democrats and I explained my theory. Clinton=Democrat=Good times vs Bush=Republican=Shit times. Rightly or wrongly, those the are associations and that would explain why people are trusting the Democrats.

I can appreciate that. However, it is infinitely misguided and false. Clinton had as much to do with economic prosperity as Bush did with economic failure. Zero. Economic performance answers to economic cycles and free market forces; not politics.

Footnote: I had no problem with Bill Clinton.

Yes, 8 years of atrocious Bush Administration--keep that in mind when you're expecting Obama to fix things overnight or in 15 days.
Jumping on that bandwagon doesn't say much for the liberal contingency. Exploiting unavoidable challenges is hardly a noble endeavor. The administration made some missteps, but please prepare to shield your nugget when the follies emerge in short order with this Admin.

Too much praise? That's you're opinion. When an African-American in the US rises from virtually nothing, to galvanize people, raise more money in fund-raising than anyone else in history and gets the votes of 62 million people to become President of the United States, I am suitably impressed and can honestly say he's exceeded every expectation.
Since he's African American its more impressive? If you look at history you will discover that every single incumbent party loses in recessionary economies. Thank the recession for galvanizing people, not Barack Obama.

And now, 2 weeks after being elected, he's impressing Republicans and others who didn't even vote for him with his decision making. Just a day or so ago you were writing that Obama did not know a thing about th economy or business and now you like the team he's put together. Blind luck on Obama's part or potentially he's not as clueless as you you've been making him out to be? At this point, any praise Obama gets is well-deserved in my book.
He's not 'impressing Republicans.' He made prudent choices in his economic advisors. That impressed republicans. Nothing else has impressed republicans.

He truly doesn't know anything about economics or business. I am thankful for his appointees in that dep't.

I don't think he's a miracle worker but as long as you continue search for every flaw and blow it up and post these crazy "Obama is a fraud" threads, myself and others will continue try and counter your perceptions with reality.
So apropos. After ridiculing and demonizing the Bush Admin for 8 years, you and your contingency promote fairness, objectivity, patience, respect and understanding.

And myself and others will continue to remind you and yours of your perceptions of history and reality.