Obama losing debate

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How it's playing in the press;
Given the CNN and CBS polling, the public has overwhelmingly crowned Obama the winner of the debate. It seems that Republicans spent so much time trashing Obama's "lack of experience" and "lack of judgment" on national security, that expectations were ridiculously low, and as a result, people were pleasantly (and happily) surprised.
Kind of imagine Sarah Palin, who we've all come to see as a blithering idiot, turning in a performance the caliber of Obama's tonight -- she would all the much stronger for it, no matter if on the merits, she merely equaled Joe Biden. That's what apparently happened tonight.
And those snap polls are apparently driving much of tonight's media narrative. That and McCain's inability to look Obama in the eye.
CW-meister Mark Halperin, on PBS:
I thought Obama clearly did better. I thought he had a chance to show that he was calm and prepared and capable of standing toe to toe with the more experienced McCain. I thought McCain spoke too much Washington jargon, told too many jokes in shorthand, made too many comments he knew what he meant but I don't think he conveyed it necessarily to the audience overall. I thought Obama was the better communicator an did what he needed to do to reassure people.
Richard Wolffe, MSNBC:
That was the greatest contrast…the demeanor and the tone of voice that these candidates adopted where McCain was being much more pointed much more aggressive and curiously couldn't look Obama in the eye. Obama's tone much more straight and even keeled but ready to look his opponent in the eye repeatedly. A big contrast.
Eugene Robinson, Washington Post:
Here’s the politically incorrect way of phrasing one of the central questions about tonight’s presidential debate: Did John McCain come across as too much of a grumpy old man?
That might not be a nice question, but it’s an important one. Americans like to vote for the nice guy, not the grumbling prophet of doom. Throughout the 90-minute debate, McCain seemed contemptuous of Obama. He wouldn’t look at him. He tried to belittle him whenever possible -- how many times did he work “Senator Obama just doesn’t understand” into his answers? His body language was closed, defensive, tense. McCain certainly succeeded in proving that he can be aggressive, but the aggression came with a smirk and a sneer.
Marc Ambinder, The Atlantic:
McCain did not filter himself, letting his frustration and contempt for Obama show; he wouldn't let himself look at the challenger.
So the verdict is in -- Obama won, and on the night that McCain needed to reverse his opponent's momentum. Perhaps McCain should've cut and run after all.
Of course those are all going to say that Obama won... those are all left-leaning media outlets. What else would they say?

In all of those reviews they are attacking McCain on him being a "grumpy old man" or using "too much jargon." So now its all about what... who has the more expensive suit? Who has the more soothing voice? Whos face is less wrinkly? Who holds a pen?

Please....

Last edited:

yayme

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Another liberal slanted paper

The huffington post is a liberal paper, but the article linked to a video of CBS polling stating that most uncommited voters thought Obama won the debate. So far, three major networks have endorsed Obama the win (CBS, ABC, CNN) though I don't know if they are using the same pool of people.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
more debate reviews:

Media Curves found that 61% of Independents believed Obama won the debate, while 38.89% favored McCain as the winner. On each of the eight topics, Obama was a clear winner among Independents, with his highest score coming on the Iran issue - two-thirds of Independents thought he won this question. And, it's hard to argue with these three post-debate polls at RCP- they all have Obama outperforming McCain.
Mary Beth Schneider in the Indianapolis Star, Hoosiers: Debate moves 4 voters toward a decision:
Before the debate, Colleen Hoover, a 52-year-old Avon billing clerk for a physician, said she was undecided -- and not very interested, frankly, in watching this debate at all.
After the 90-minute give-and-take, however, Hoover said she was looking forward to the next presidential debate, on Oct. 7, as well as Thursday's vice presidential debate between Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. And, she added, if she had to vote today, she'd back Obama.
McCain's stance on war is what has Jim Ramsey, a 56-year-old Anderson man who manages a mail room and copy center for a law firm, also leaning toward Obama. Neil Allen White, 41, Indianapolis, came leaning toward McCain. But he left open to voting for Obama -- and again, Iraq is a big reason why.
Kansas City Star (MO) Editorial, Obama has narrow victory in debate:
Americans looking for a warrior in the White House surely warmed to GOP Senator John McCain’s scrappy debate performance Friday night.
But Democrat Barack Obama turned in the more statesmanlike effort. He was unflappable even under McCain’s often condescending attacks. While McCain went for punches, Obama scored points with sound arguments.
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Editorial, Clear differences:
The topic was foreign policy, with undercurrents of the financial crisis now consuming the attentions of the U.S. Congress. This main topic, woven as it is with national security, was one in which John McCain was thought to have an edge over Barack Obama. He made every attempt to paint the Illinois senator as naïve. He mostly failed.
John Baer, Philadelphia Daily News:
The much-touted, long-awaited debate that almost didn't happen was a mixed bag, but helped Barack Obama more than John McCain.
I say that because on the issue gripping the nation - the state of the economy - Obama seemed better focused, better armed and more aggressive than McCain.
Detroit Free Press Editorial, No knockout, but McCain shows strength in experience:
Both candidates took some liberties with the facts, particularly in characterizing each other's statements and positions. But neither scored a knockout and the debate did not produce any of the dramatic or telling moments of debates from past campaigns.
CBS Channel 8 Las Vegas, Local focus group watches presidential debate:
"The war in Iraq. I agreed more with Obama on," Daniel McGuire is an independent who leans libertarian. "I actually thought McCain was a little bit better on the bailout."
Maryann Brothers went in mostly undecided and came out clearly supporting Obama, "I'm sorry to say, I expected McCain to really come out with a change and I didn't hear that."
One debate down with two to go and so much can change.
"If we were voting today, I'd vote for Obama," said Jay Needleman. This lifelong Republican is supporting Obama, for now. "It can be changed until I walked into the polling place."
Among the group of voters sampled Friday, Senator Obama won the debate.
Now for some non-battleground reaction, Peter Canellos at the Boston Globe calls it a Good night for McCain, better one for Obama:
John McCain last night tried hard to make the first presidential debate a test of Barack Obama's fitness for office. McCain succeeded in his framing of the test - but Obama passed it.
Both candidates came off well. But Obama had more to gain, and he did.
Dallas Morning News Editorial, Debate yields White House-worthy performances:
This debate, with its emphasis on foreign policy, was supposed to be Mr. McCain's time to shine. But Mr. Obama matched him score for score, fending off any sort of game-changer.
Mr. McCain held his own, but that may not be sufficient on his home field.
Joe Klein at Time gives it to Obama:
Toward the very end of tonight's debate—which was quite a good one, I believe—John McCain laid out his rationale in this election in just a few words: Senator Obama, he said, lacks the "knowledge and experience to be President." The presidency will turn on whether the American people agree with McCain on that—but on this night, Obama emerged as a candidate who was at least as knowledgeable, judicious and unflappable as McCain on foreign policy ... and more knowledgeable, and better suited to deal with the economic crisis and domestic problems the country faces.
And finally, McClatchy is reporting (as published in the Miami Herald) that McCain misstates some facts in debate on foreign policy:
McCain made the most notable misstatements and stumbled over the names of the leaders of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, whose name he couldn't pronounce, and of Pakistan, referring to the latter as "Qadari" instead of Asif Ali Zardari.
McCain incorrectly asserted that former Gen. Pervez Musharraf rescued Pakistan from being a "failed state" when he seized power in a 1999 coup.
This was from last night, but I had to add it. Even Dick Morris can't spin this for McCain! Via Politico:
"Unfortunately, I think Obama won this debate," said Dick Morris on Hannity and Colmes.

MalakingTiti

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I honestly think McCain did remarkably well. I can almost see why he compells my rabid Republican family. And I think Barack started off slowly, but he ended brilliantly and, in spite of my worst fears, he trumped it.

But, check the irony of the Republican bullshit. The reality is they don't even LIKE McCain. As we all know, they have beat on him for years, and didn't even want him as the nominee! Until Huckabee shit the bed, and Mitt's inner Morman started showing, McCain was way low on the list. Now all of the sudden, he's the fare haired boy. I mean that figuratively of course since the muthafucka hasn't been a boy since the forming of the Continental Shelf.

I can't stand the sight of that phony broken shouldered old fuck or his retread wife. If I never saw them again it would be too soon.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
a review of the "debate" reviews yields what I expected:

those who were predisposed to Obama felt he outperformed McCain

those who were predisposed to McCain felt he outperformed Obama

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't see how any unbiased individual could possible think Obama "won" the debate tonight. But I guess if you like obama for what he does, he just did more of it tonight and you will think he won for that. But seriously, get your head out of your ass and disassociate yourself from your party for one second and think about it. If you are happy with what transpired tonight you should go buy some land in another country because McCain will win if this keeps up.

I was keeping count how many times barack said "you are right" to McCain. I think he said it 7 times. I was sitting there thinking to myself why the fuck is he saying that? Looked to me like barack was hypothesizing and McCain was actually drawing on his experience and knowledge gained while serving this country for the better part of his life. I really wanted obama to show me something tonight that would make me be more down with him, but it was just more of the same shit.

Keep in mind I am a democrat and will probably never vote republican but McCain came across as the better, stronger leader. He seemed to have a better grasp on how the world works. He made obama seem naive, and young. He made it look like Obama had nothing to draw from on his answers. His answers lacked substance, whereas whether or not you agreed with McCain and his answers they were a little more direct. HE KEPT SONNING OBAMA. I was sitting there like yo, obama, you just got sonned again do something. And he didn't. He just kept making awkward faces at Jim Lehrer.

What I am saying is, McCain made Obama look like something. Whether it be inexperienced, naive, nervous, ruffled. Obama never made McCain look like anything. I think the "experience" difference came across in a big way tonight, and it wasn't good for barack. And I will tell you right now there is no way Barack is in bed right now proud of his performance. He could have delivered the knock out punch tonight, and he didn't. Just like he didn't deliver the knock out punch when he selected Biden over Billary. No knockout punch = win for McCain.

I have not read all the replies to these threads about the debate but I would like to give some props to Notaguru for showing me he isn't just a biased democrat who is blind to what goes on. That shows a lot about the quality of a person when they can make a sound judgment and fair assessment of something when it is not in their [our] favor.

I hope everyone here can dig down a little and really think about what you saw tonight and not be a hater. It was simply McCain's night. Think about it like this; I bet all democrats in here had hoped he would do worse than he did, and are probably surprised he did as good as he did, and you [we] all wanted Obama to do better than he did tonight.

This was McCain's night.
Mad props to Skull Mason on his above post. I watched most of the debates on the net at work and I think that while Obama did well for his [lack of] experience, he didn't win. Like SM said above, how can you win when you are saying "you are right" throughout your debate where you are trying to be this trojan horse of change. You are such an agent of change, yet you agree with everything that he says, of which you have spent numerous hours categorizing him as "another Bush." Come on... That is a loss in my book.

I think that many of the "polls" are showing Obama winning because he did better than people expected, not because he simply won.

Oh Yeah, and for those of you who believe in Polls.... all I gotta say is, Fuck You Frank!

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
a review of the "debate" reviews yields what I expected:

those who were predisposed to Obama felt he outperformed McCain

those who were predisposed to McCain felt he outperformed Obama
Not quite.......there are the Independents....what did they think?>

And the numbers released so far from the CBS poll of undecided debate-watchers: 39% said Obama won, 25% said McCain won, and 36% said it was a draw. Forty-six percent said their opinions of Obama went up, compared to only 31% who said the same about McCain. On the economy, 66% said Obama would make the right decisions, compared to 44% who said the same for McCain.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
curious n str8: If you watched the debate on CNN HD as it was happening, there were six graphical circles representing a number of analysts. Three per side. Each circle was split into two colors: Red & Blue, with a plus and minus sign in each. Each analyst was able to make a comment about what each candidate was saying or doing on the debate by either giving McCain or Obama a plus or a minus point.

By the end of the debate, 5 out of the six people had scores that favored Obama. Begala, Borger (who seemed to be asleep throughout the first part not giving points to anyone... hee hee hee), Brazile, Castellanos (who was trigger happy with the points on both sides) and King were decisively on Obama's side. Bennet was the only one who was on the side of McCain, but his point spread was only by one. Although it doesn't show the final scores, here's a link to a photo to show you what I was talking about: CNN HD Brings New Technology - mediabistro.com: TVNewser

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
yes ... I was aware of those figures, and, I believe my statement covers them, as well

the reason I say that, is that surveys previous to the debate, of the "independents", uncovered a leaning to Obama, not yet stated as definite, based principally on economic issues

Not quite.......there are the Independents....what did they think?>

And the numbers released so far from the CBS poll of undecided debate-watchers: 39% said Obama won, 25% said McCain won, and 36% said it was a draw. Forty-six percent said their opinions of Obama went up, compared to only 31% who said the same about McCain. On the economy, 66% said Obama would make the right decisions, compared to 44% who said the same for McCain.

Last edited:
C

college22punk9

I think the original post stated something very important: "Obama keeps presenting his cases in such depth that most people don't have the intelligence to understand and Cain keeps attacking that Obama doesn't understand and give simple, straight forward examples."

I'm sorry, but there are no "simple solutions" to running our government, and if you believe all of the simple answers and promises, you will be disappointed yet again. There is a difference in trying to explain your stance on an issue intelligently, and just saying something that the crowd wants to hear to gain votes. I'm glad that Obama didn't dumb down half of his answers for the general public. It actually shows we have a candidate with 1/2 a brain up there. (We can NOT have another president who can not critically think. I won't even get into the VP's, because i'm waiting for Palin to just fall apart in front of the camera unscripted. I can't wait! It'll be like a trainwreck... we'll all tune in to watch the disaster.)

I do think McCain did "ok" on the debate, but instead of showing me his ideas, he far too often said "obama doesn't understand..." for my liking. Obama want success in stopping terrorism, but wants to effectively spend our resources over there to get the job done. What's so wrong with that? At the same time, he said plenty of times, we need to focus on America back home and really become the America that we once were. The America that everyone wanted to live in. Right now, so much of the world questions us or doesn't like us. I didn't hear McCain say anything like this.... which is sad, becuase it's a VERY important issue that needs to be addressed with foreign policy.

Oh well.... in my opinion, McCain definately did NOT win this debate. Not enough presenting of his plans, and why he feels that way.

To the original poster: Looking into the camera while talking has little bearing on how i decide to vote. These aren't news casters or soap opera actors... This is the leader of our country and critical thinking, leadership, determination, and decision making abilities are the things I look at. Not trivial things related to media presentation.

vindicator

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I'm voting for the person who WON'T raise my taxes

I can one up you! :biggrin1:

If you make less then $250,000 a year, Obama is going to CUT your taxes!

Did you know that incomes went up by $6000 a year under Clinton, and down $2000 under Bush?

If you want more money in your pocket at the end of the day, Obama is your man.

Check this out, it's pretty cool. Obama tax cut calculator. Shows watch you personally would get from Obama's tax cuts.

ObamaTaxCut.com - What's your Obama Tax Cut?

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can one up you! :biggrin1:

If you make less then $250,000 a year, Obama is going to CUT your taxes!

Did you know that incomes went up by $6000 a year under Clinton, and down $2000 under Bush?

If you want more money in your pocket at the end of the day, Obama is your man.

Check this out, it's pretty cool. Obama tax cut calculator. Shows watch you personally would get from Obama's tax cuts.

ObamaTaxCut.com - What's your Obama Tax Cut?

Today, analysts are saying unemployment is going to be around 6.5% this reporting period. Thats an increase of 2% while the Bushies have been in office.

starstruck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I thought Obama did great. McCain looked like a very angry old man whose shelf-life had expired but he refused to admit it.

Obama has to walk a tight-rope between being strong and NOT being seen as an "angry black man." Whites will never vote for an angry black man. They get scared.

vindicator

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Today, analysts are saying unemployment is going to be around 6.5% this reporting period. Thats an increase of 2% while the Bushies have been in office.

Republicans have been very good at beating it into people's heads that their economic policies are better for "average" Americans. Fortunately there are those damn pesky things called "facts" that prove that Democrats statistically manage the economy better then Republicans.

People really need to be more informed and look at the facts as opposed to the spin. The fact is, if you're middle class, you do better under the Democrats. The facts don't lie...

The numbers don't lie: Democrats are better for the economy than Republicans. - By Michael Kinsley - Slate Magazine

Last edited:

joybunny

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
  • And, on a personal level, I don't want a president who looks like a gopher.
All good points. I never thought of a gopher. I alway thought Tyrannosaurus Rex. To be fair, with the right amount of wind Obama could probably get a good lift off with his ears. Surprised it didn't happen during one of the Congressional meetings. There's got to be enough wind and hot air to launch DC into outer space! :biggrin1:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Obama sucked monkey balls. He's up against a fucking 9,000 year old dinosaur and the main topic (economy) is Obama's strong point. He should have knocked this out of the park but he was stiff and rigid and he lost many points for dancing around the "what programs would you cut" question.

Plus, through most of Mccain's slander and half-truths. When Mccain said "Obama's plan is to raise your taxes" Obama mumbled "that's not true John" and some people might not have even heard it.

Mccain was exactly what I'd expected, a God-awful mess filled with talking points and lies. I give him credit for not milking that stale ass "I'm a POW" angle. He loses LOTS of points for disrespecting Obama's intelligence. Every other word was "Obama just doesn't get it." Excuse me you pretentious prick? This man has a degree from HARVARD.

He gets it. Stop trying to scare Americans back into that bullshit "no experience" angle which, of course you can't play since your VP is an Ice Queen from the Dark Age who's only experience is putting up a gym in a hometown where the population is 23. Mccain was VERY rude and condescending and he deserves the drop in the polls that he WILL get as a result of his pathetic ass performance.