Obama Maps Win w/o Ohio,FL

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Obama campaign looks for way to win presidency without Ohio, Florida

By NEDRA PICKLER and PHILIP ELLIOTT , Associated Press
June 16, 2008

FLINT, Mich. - Barack Obama's campaign envisions a path to the presidency that could include Virginia, Georgia and several Rocky Mountain states, but not necessarily the pair of battlegrounds that decided the last two elections — Florida and Ohio.

In a private pitch late last week to donors and former supporters of Hillary Rodham Clinton, Obama campaign manager David Plouffe outlined several alternatives to reaching the 270 electoral votes needed to win the White House that runs counter to the conventional wisdom of recent elections.
At a fundraiser held at a Washington brewery Friday, Plouffe told a largely young crowd that the electoral map would be fundamentally different from the one in 2004. Wins in Ohio and Florida would guarantee Obama the presidency if he holds onto the states won by Democrat John Kerry, Plouffe said, but those two battlegrounds aren't required for victory.
Florida, which has 27 electoral votes this year, gave the presidency to George W. Bush in the disputed election of 2000. Ohio, with its 20 electoral votes, ensured Bush of re-election in 2004 in his race against Kerry.

The presumed Democratic nominee's electoral math counts on holding onto the states Kerry won, among them Michigan (17 electoral votes), where Obama campaigns on Monday and Tuesday. Plouffe said most of the Kerry states should be reliable for Obama, but three currently look relatively competitive with Republican rival John McCain — Pennsylvania, Michigan and particularly New Hampshire.

Asked about his remarks, Plouffe said Ohio and Florida start out very competitive — but he stressed that they are not tougher than other swing states and said Obama will play "extremely hard" for both. But he said the strategy is not reliant on one or two states.
"You have a lot of ways to get to 270," Plouffe said. "Our goal is not to be reliant on one state on November 4th."

Plouffe has been pitching such a new approach to the electoral map in calls and meetings, according to several people who discussed the conversations on the condition of anonymity because they were meant to be private. Plouffe confirmed the descriptions in the interview.
Plouffe and his aides are weighing where to contest, and where chances are too slim to marshal a large effort. A win in Virginia (13 electoral votes) or Georgia (15 votes) could give Obama a shot if he, like Kerry, loses Ohio or Florida.

Plouffe also has been touting Obama's appeal in once Republican-leaning states where Democrats have made gains in recent gubernatorial and congressional races, such as Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Montana, Alaska and North Dakota.

Obama's campaign has spent heavily on time and money in Virginia, where a Democratic presidential candidate hasn't won since 1964. In recent elections, however, high-profile Republicans have lost there. And in a sign of how serious Obama is taking the state, Plouffe dispatched to Virginia many aides who helped Obama stage his upset win in the Iowa caucuses Jan. 3.

The key, Plouffe told supporters, will be to register new black voters and new young voters in Virginia. Likewise, Georgia has many unregistered black voters who could turn out in record numbers to support the first major-party nominee who is black, he argued. Plouffe said the campaign also will keep an eye on Mississippi and Louisiana as the race moves into the fall to see if new black voters could put them within reach. In a telling bit of scheduling, Obama declared himself within reach of the nomination at the statehouse in Iowa, yet another state he hopes to put in play.

Plouffe is warning Democrats that McCain is an appealing candidate who has proved he can take votes from the middle before and could do so again. McCain won New Hampshire as a GOP candidate in 2000 and 2008, thanks in large part to the state's high number of independent voters.
Clinton won Michigan's renegade primary after the national party stripped the state of its delegates for moving its contest to January. Obama's name wasn't even on the ballot. Clinton handily won the Pennsylvania primary in April, gaining strong support from white, working-class voters.

Plouffe argues that McCain squandered his opportunity to reach independent voters in the past three months.

McCain's aides acknowledge frustration among fellow Republicans for the slow-to-start campaign. Even though McCain clinched his party's nomination in early March, his supporters didn't name operatives to run the must-win states, let alone open offices in key states. While Democrats hammered each other in their marathon contest, McCain left aides from his primary states sitting still, waiting for orders. It took more than two months for McCain's national headquarters to approve budgets for the battleground states.

The task, Plouffe said, is to define McCain as tied to Bush on the economy, the war and abortion rights. He said the campaign will go on offense against McCain, besides playing aggressive defense when criticized.

That promise was also given by Obama, who said Friday night, "If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun." Critics have questioned why a candidate who promotes a new kind of politics planned such bare-knuckles tactics.

Among independent voters, McCain and Obama are about tied in favorability ratings in recent polls.

Plouffe in recent days has been making his pitch aggressively — part cheerleading, part sales job. Many of Clinton's supporters remain frustrated with how national Democrats resolved the issue of Michigan's delegates, agreeing to seat all of them at the nominating convention but penalizing them by half for violating the calendar, and Plouffe has tried to quell that frustration.

He wraps up the pitches by asking Democrats to imagine Obama taking the oath of office. On Friday at the Capitol City Brewery, about a block from where that would happen, Plouffe pointed toward the Capitol steps to reinforce the visual.
___
Associated Press writer Philip Elliott reported from Columbus, Ohio.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Keeping Florida out of it suits me just find.

I still favor secession so that the rest of the country doesn't have to put up with us.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
They'll probably vote on the wrong day anyway.

Oh, I think they'll find their way to the polls on the right day. It hasn't been Florida voters who had a problem voting...Democrats underestimate the extent to which Republicans will go to "win" a Presidential Election.

Watch the movie Recount

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oh, I think they'll find their way to the polls on the right day. It hasn't been Florida voters who had a problem voting...Democrats underestimate the extent to which Republicans will go to "win" a Presidential Election.

Watch the movie Recount
This Poster's Signature is a Lie:
Obama says he is "for" a Woman's Right To Choose, but as an Illinois State
Senator, Barack Obama took the coward's way out and did not vote either "yes"
or "no" on issues regarding a woman's right to choose. Instead, he voted
"present" on seven abortion bills, including a ban on "partial birth abortion,"
two parental notification laws and three "born alive" bills. - Obama shows no courage of conviction.

Here's the Truth from
Former President of Chicago NOW, Lorna Brett Howard:

YouTube - Why Lorna Switched from Clinton to Obama

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Only a matter of time before president Obama sells Florida to Iran.

On some level I think the Red states who elected Bush need to pay a greater price for the bumbling mess he has left the country.

All those redneck hillbilly states need to pay a greater price for voting him in office. They should bear the brunt of the financial burden he has left our country - especially the state of OHIO and FLORIDA who gave the election to him.

That's just my vindictive judgmental side coming out.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
This Poster's Signature is a Lie:

IndustrialSize, you should get your facts straight before you start calling people liars. My signature is 100% factually true.

Nothing Ms. Swift said contradicts the facts in my signature. It only represents Ms. Swift's opinion and her choice of candidate support.

The statewide Illinois State Now Organization endorsed and fully backed Hillary Clinton from day one releasing this statement:

During Senator Obama's 2004 senate campaign, the Illinois NOW PAC did not recommend the endorsement of Obama for U.S. Senate because he refused to stand up for a woman's right to choose and repeatedly voted `present' on important legislation.

As a State Senator, Barack Obama voted `present' on seven abortion bills, including a ban on 'partial birth abortion,' two parental notification laws and three 'born alive' bills. In each case, the right vote was clear, but Senator Obama chose political cover over standing and fighting for his convictions.
"When we needed someone to take a stand, Senator Obama took a pass," said Grabenhofer. "He wasn't there for us then and we don't expect him to be now."
Grabenhofer is President of Illinios State Now.

More Information? Chicago Tribune May 2007:

Perhaps nothing illustrated Obama's calculating style more than his approach to abortion. The state Senate voted 14 times on various abortion restrictions during his tenure. Half the time, Obama voted "present."

He said it was a strategy agreed to by abortion-rights advocates to insulate Democrats from political backlash in more conservative areas. But Obama's Hyde Park district was one of the state's most liberal.
...Legislators face an array of sensitive topics, but few pack the emotional and political wallop of abortion. Obama has long publicly promoted his support for abortion rights, but his voting record in Springfield is not simple to read.
Obama said he sought compromise with abortion opponents, but they balked. As a fallback, he said he worked out an arrangement with abortion-rights advocates to encourage Democrats to vote "present" on some bills if they feared a "no"would look insensitive and endanger their re-election.
But few of the other Democrats who voted "present" on abortion bills recall such a strategy. And, like Obama, they weren't politically vulnerable.
Obama's rationale for voting 'present', lacking plausibility, is probably more simple:
Obama's friend Link offered another reason for the strategy: to protect those with plans for higher office. A "present" vote helped "if you have aspirations of doing something else in politics," Link said, "and I think [Obama] looked at it in that regard."

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Trinity,

You still don't get it. Hillary lost. End of story. Buh bye Harpie!

You really should watch this woman. She's talking sense. And she would know what she's talking about. She is the former president of Chicago NOW and was a hillary supporter until she realized how evil hillary is.

Get a clue Trinity...

With "friends" like you and hillary, Obama doesn't need enemies.

Oh, and are you so bitter that you're one of those bra burning wackos that are voting for McCain, who is truly ANTI-CHOICE!??

Last edited:

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
http://www.startribune.com/nation/19967899.html?page=1&c=y Obama says he is "for" a Woman's Right To Choose, but as an Illinois State
Senator, Barack Obama took the coward's way out and did not vote either "yes"
or "no" on issues regarding a woman's right to choose. Instead, he voted
"present" on seven abortion bills, including a ban on "partial birth abortion,"
two parental notification laws and three "born alive" bills. - Obama shows no courage of conviction.

This is 2008. "Choice" hasn't been a campaign issue in 10 or more years. Why should he vote on it? It's a mute point. *Yawn* is this all you have?

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Trinity,

You still don't get it. Hillary lost. End of story. Buh bye Harpie!

You really should watch this woman. She's talking sense. And she would know what she's talking about. She is the former president of Chicago NOW and was a hillary supporter until she realized how evil hillary is.

Get a clue Trinity...

With "friends" like you and hillary, Obama doesn't need enemies.

Oh, and are you so bitter that you're one of those bra burning wackos that are voting for McCain, who is truly ANTI-CHOICE!??

IndustrialSize was wrong. You Simcha can choose to believe whatever you want...Obama...that woman but what you will not do is make false accusations against me, call me out of my name or tell me what to believe.

My Signature is 100% true. IndustrialSize was wrong and further since he called me a liar...that makes him bitter and wrong. You jumping on this in his defense is just silly. It makes you both look bad.

The statewide Illinois State Now Organization endorsed and fully backed Hillary Clinton from day one releasing this statement:
During Senator Obama's 2004 senate campaign, the Illinois NOW PAC did not recommend the endorsement of Obama for U.S. Senate because he refused to stand up for a woman's right to choose and repeatedly voted `present' on important legislation.

As a State Senator, Barack Obama voted `present' on seven abortion bills, including a ban on 'partial birth abortion,' two parental notification laws and three 'born alive' bills. In each case, the right vote was clear, but Senator Obama chose political cover over standing and fighting for his convictions.
"When we needed someone to take a stand, Senator Obama took a pass," said Grabenhofer. "He wasn't there for us then and we don't expect him to be now."
Grabenhofer is President of Illinios State Now.

More Information? Chicago Tribune May 2007:
Perhaps nothing illustrated Obama's calculating style more than his approach to abortion. The state Senate voted 14 times on various abortion restrictions during his tenure. Half the time, Obama voted "present."

He said it was a strategy agreed to by abortion-rights advocates to insulate Democrats from political backlash in more conservative areas. But Obama's Hyde Park district was one of the state's most liberal.

...Legislators face an array of sensitive topics, but few pack the emotional and political wallop of abortion. Obama has long publicly promoted his support for abortion rights, but his voting record in Springfield is not simple to read.
Obama said he sought compromise with abortion opponents, but they balked. As a fallback, he said he worked out an arrangement with abortion-rights advocates to encourage Democrats to vote "present" on some bills if they feared a "no"would look insensitive and endanger their re-election.
But few of the other Democrats who voted "present" on abortion bills recall such a strategy. And, like Obama, they weren't politically vulnerable.

Obama's friend Link offered another reason for the strategy: to protect those with plans for higher office. A "present" vote helped "if you have aspirations of doing something else in politics," Link said, "and I think [Obama] looked at it in that regard."

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Actually, he's voted "present" roughly 130 times while in the IL State Senate. While you cherry pick one issue, it is Obama that has a deep conscience. He votes "present" when he believes there is something wrong with a particular piece of legislation, even if its a bill he originally supported. If only more politicians had consciences...

I think this NPR story sums it up. Let's move on...

Examining Obama's 'Present' Votes in Illinois : NPR

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
IndustrialSize was wrong. You Simcha can choose to believe whatever you want...Obama...that woman but what you will not do is make false accusations against me, call me out of my name or tell me what to believe.

You're right. I can't make you believe in reality. You're quite delusional. From experience it's not wise to try to argue with a person on the subject of reality who is psychotic. So, without proper treatment, you'll believe whatever the "voices" in your mind tell you to believe.

And with psychotic ideation often comes paranoia. All of my accusations are based in truth. However, I will stop trying to convince you because, clearly, I'm dealing with someone who has a deficit.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Actually, he's voted "present" roughly 130 times while in the IL State Senate. While you cherry pick one issue, it is Obama that has a deep conscience. He votes "present" when he believes there is something wrong with a particular piece of legislation, even if its a bill he originally supported. If only more politicians had consciences...

Obama has been criticized by many who don't buy his "explanation" which is more like a cop out. Even John Edwards admonished Obama in the debate for his record of present votes that demonstrate a lack of conviction.

Obama's hometown newspaper The Chicago Tribune summed it up best on the Illinois State Senator Barack Obama:

You're right. I can't make you believe in reality. You're quite delusional. From experience it's not wise to try to argue with a person on the subject of reality who is psychotic. So, without proper treatment, you'll believe whatever the "voices" in your mind tell you to believe.

And with psychotic ideation often comes paranoia. All of my accusations are based in truth. However, I will stop trying to convince you because, clearly, I'm dealing with someone who has a deficit.

You are the only person with a deficit. Why are bothering to post about my signature? My signature is 100% factual. Check your facts before you call people liars and start throwing out the crazy card because it just comes back at you.

You've made yourself look like a complete crazy idiot. Keep posting to reinforce it...please! Industrial was wrong. You are just silly.

CALAMBO

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
ohio helped the best man win...the presidency is bigger than most folks understand...congress and the senate has more power and it shows...since the democrats have been incharge the price of oil has sky rocketed....the leader of the free world has an overbearing responsibilty..he/she cannot do miralcles...we are 4% of the worlds population...but the world expects us to defend and stabilize everyone...blaming BUSH, for the world's problems is unfair...watch what happens win OBAMA takes over...remember the bungling of the CARTER admistration...14% interest rates hurts everyone...

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Barry's a hypocrit' with them no-headscarves policy on his watch during the campaign.

Regardless... the assumption he's going to win Virginia is just folly. He needs Virginia badly, and as of now it's dead even (translated from liberal polling biasm to McCain ahead by 3 to 4 percentage points).

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

NPR... exactly... next to CBS the most liberal outlet there is... indeed let's move on (aka not even going to BOTHER with THAT link).

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media

Watch the movie Recount

I'm a republican.

As to Obama's perceived lack of conviction regarding abortion, it's really quite simple. As a closet muslim terrorist (Hussein) he clandestinely supports post birth abortion for females and right to life for males. Right Trin? :tongue: Well, maybe that's a stretch for most of the country but I bet you can sell it in appalachia. Better get busy.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
I'm a republican.

As to Obama's perceived lack of conviction regarding abortion, it's really quite simple. As a closet muslim terrorist (Hussein) he clandestinely supports post birth abortion for females and right to life for males. Right Trin? :tongue: Well, maybe that's a stretch for most of the country but I bet you can sell it in appalachia. Better get busy.

I'm a Pro-life Christian Democrat.

"As a closet muslim terrorist (Hussein) he clandestinely supports post birth abortion for females and right to life for males." Right Trin? :tongue:

Hmmm...all I did was post Obama's voting record in my signature. If you got all that from me posting how he voted...then that's on you.