obama oil drilling moratorium

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_Marius567, Jul 14, 2010.

1. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

Other estimates of jobs that will become casualties of the Obama moratorium are even higher. The National Ocean Industries Association estimates that "for each platform idled by the work stoppage, up to 1,400 jobs are at risk, and lost wages could reach $10 million per month per platform and up to $330 million per month for all 33 platforms." Thus a six-month ban on drilling would mean nearly $2 billion in lost wages and nearly 50,000 lost jobs.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Drilling ban is Louisiana's third calamity | Washington Examiner

obama dose not care about jobs.

2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Why isn't this in the Politics section where it can be properly debated... and debunked? :rolleyes:

3. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Apart from the facile, simplistic stupidity of that remark, I take issue with the underlying assumption that the protection of existing industrial operations somehow holds the highest level of priority.

Newsflash, numbnuts: if we continue wrecking the ecosystem to the point where entire regions are essentially uninhabitable by the various life-forms that sustain them (including ours), the jobs are gone anyway. Try to look beyond the predigested propagandist tripe you're being shoveled by the pundits and see the bigger picture for yourself.

+1

4. maxcok

Gold Member

Maybe the OP is askeered of the Politics forum.

The Washington Examiner? LOL.

The OP dose not care about correctly spelling the most simple, common words in his silly six word thesis.
    Nor does he think the president merits having his name capitalized. Even when starting a sentence.

#4 maxcok, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  5. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's a free newspaper owned by Phillip Anshutz, the Denver billionaire. It's a been around a while under different names and is now a (distant) cousin to the San Francisco Examiner since they share common ownership. Not surprisingly, Mr. Anshutz's politics filter through into the paper's editorial content: the Washington Examiner endorsed John McCain in the last presidential election.

The OP's original assertion that President Obama does not care about jobs probably can be traced to those same editorial writers who favored McCain.

6. maxcok

Gold Member

I think you may be understating the case by saying Mr. Anschutz's politics "filter" into the editorial content.
    The man is clearly on a mission:
    "When Anschutz started the Examiner in its current format, he envisioned creating a conservative competitor to The Washington Post. According to Politico.com, "When it came to the editorial page, Anschutz’s instructions were explicit — he 'wanted nothing but conservative columns and conservative op-ed writers,' said one former employee." The Examiner added more conservative writers and columnists, including Byron York (National Review), Michael Barone (American Enterprise Institute, Fox News) David Freddoso (National Review, author of The Case Against Barack Obama)."

7. houtx48

Gold Member

You do not need to close down an entire industry over one frigging well.
    Who is Barry trying to impress with this? I am still a Barry fan but this makes no sense.

8. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    As usual, maxcok is right. I was trying to restrain myself and use the most polite terms and civil description I could come up with.

#8 ColoradoGuy, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  9. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Right, I can see by your derisive use of his childhood chosen name that you are a fan of the President :rolleyes:
    If he did not institute a moratorium, and ANOTHER deepwater drill catastrophically failed, you and others of your ilk would be screaming that the President should have instituted a moratorium. You can't win in Politics when you're the President- but that goes with the territory I suppose.

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    To my mind, this is Obama's way of finding a consensus to enact the kind of regulatory requirements that would have made BP's spill impossible in British waters. As such it's a good first step.

As to NOIA: it's the trade organization that was surely involved in relaxing such safeguards. According to their website:

The National Ocean Industries Association (NOIA), founded in 1972 with 35 members, represents all facets of the domestic offshore energy and related industries. Today, our more than 250 member companies are dedicated to the development of offshore energy for the continued growth and security of the United States. Our membership also includes companies involved in or branching out to pursue offshore renewable and alternative energy opportunities.

NOIA members are engaged in many business activities, in addition to those listed below, including environmental safeguards, equipment supply, gas transmission, navigation, research and technology, shipping and shipyards.

11. maxcok

Gold Member

While I admire your diplomacy and your efforts to be 'fair and balanced' :wink:, I don't think it's overstating the case to lay out the transparent agenda behind this rag.

How does delaying the start of drilling operations on some 33 new wells out of the 4,000+ rigs currently operating in the Gulf "close down an entire industry"? Especially as they will be allowed to commence drilling once they prove they can meet safey regulations. Talk about 'overstating the case'. :rolleyes:

12. houtx48

Gold Member

If he did not institute a moratorium, and ANOTHER deepwater drill catastrophically failed,............................ That sentence alone tell me that you know nothing about the drilling process. Stick with whatever 20 yo know, which is not much.

13. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

houtx48 is one of the good guys, TomCat84... disengage phasers! :biggrin1:

I must admit, however, that I do think a temporary delay or minimal operational cap on offshore drilling should be implemented until we can fix the issues in the Gulf. Cutting the drills off altogether, while we don't have a viable alternative to use in its place already implemented, would put too many other companies and people in jeopardy. However, since it's obvious that glaring mistakes were made by BP and the organizations that were supposed to regulate them (powered by a bunch of scientific unknowns regarding operation of such tools in volatile, underwater situations) we should be extra careful. At the end of the day, it is the environment at risk more than anything.

14. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh, excuse me.....did I miss something? Did the drill in question NOT fail? Are you implying it is impossible for another one to fail?

15. houtx48

Gold Member

What is this drill you keep talking about? A Black and Decker?

16. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    There's really no need to be a douche. I mean for fuck's sake, you knew what I was talking about...go wank yourself somewhere

17. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well, I was being subtle. But you're right, Phil ain't no pal of the President's or the majority of members of this website. He has supported way too many candidates of the right to be considered neutral in any debate. You can see his list of contributions on Newsmeat.

Particularly noteworthy is that he donated money to Scott McInnis during his unsuccessful Senate campaign in 2003. Mr. McInnis, who has recently garnered attention for his attempt at getting away with plagiarism, is just among the haters that Phil has bankrolled. Other notables include Marilyn Musgrave, George W. Bush and -- the vilest, IMHO -- Tom Tancredo.

I posted a thread two days ago about Scott McInnis, but it seems to be unpopular... that might be because I used the same diplomatic skills and didn't mention his affiliation to the Republican party in the title of the thread.

But, you're right, maxcok: Anschutz had a transparent agenda when he bought this newspaper and it shows in the editorial slant. So much for the 'liberal media', eh?

Draft saved Draft deleted