Obama on helping African Americans

When you coddle and pander to the racists and constantly harp about "ACORN" or "welfare queens" and use other dog whistle terms to rile up a quickly shrinking base in 2011's America, whose fault is it that Black people don't want to vote for you? Democrats or Republicans?

Sounds like a lil bit of jealousy to me.

dazedandconfused

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
In a bad year, a democrat will get at least 85% of the vote. There is no incentive for republicans to spend a lot of money, time or energy on the black vote to win 15% of blacks vote compared to 13.

And for the democrats, why waste a lot of time or energy giving anything more than token support for African Americans when you will not lose its support.

The difference between republicans and democrats in terms of relations with african-americans? The republicans actually say what the majority of democrats in office are thinking.

Did you read the link above. This unethical and horrible DA will most likely get an endorsement from a key group simply because she is black. But, the minister of justice office in Durham has a history of clueless idiots in its office.

dazedandconfused

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
When you coddle and pander to the racists and constantly harp about "ACORN" or "welfare queens" and use other dog whistle terms to rile up a quickly shrinking base in 2011's America, whose fault is it that Black people don't want to vote for you? Democrats or Republicans?

Sounds like a lil bit of jealousy to me.

There was no excuse for the ACORN investigation to be dropped and the federal government refused to turn down a SLAM DUNK civil rights case. Because the people claiming civil right violations were white?.... That and there were so many idiotic, ignorant and hate statements from everyone, especially african-americans, the federal government did not step in. That is ok, the democratically controlled city of Durham and Duke University will pay through the nose.

I believe I've asked this before but...

Why exactly should I (as a Black man) vote for a Republican? How would being a Republican better me or my community? What policies have they come up with that would better my chances at living the American dream? What have they done (or attempted to do) for my other brothers and sisters of color to equal the playing field and allow us all to better our lives in this country? Since I'm allegedly just a "token" for the Democrats, I need to know why the other side is supposed to be a better choice.

Reactions: Maxwell05
D

deleted15807

And as John Leguizamo said:

"Latinos voting Republican is like a cockroach voting for Raid."

dazedandconfused

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
First, I would like to apolgize for token. I was not referring to you or anyone else as a noun, I was referring to token as an adjective. In reference to republicans. Democrats talk a good game but come up empty in helping the African-American community.

Republicans even less, but make token appearances so 90% of the black vote for dems does not become 99%.

I would take your post and substitute republican for democrat and vice-versa.

Did you read my link above? How are we to take seriously a group who supports candidates simply on skin color, no matter how radical and idiotic they are?

How am I supposed to react to a city in North Carolina (Durham) whos african-american repeatedly, even when it was painfully obvious the Duke lacrosse players and to this day, statements like "Whites always get away with assault and rapes of blacks. And even if they are innocent, what they did (what they did, exactly, please tell me) was bad enough." and even "if they are innocent, they should be held accountable for past issues."

Let me paint a picture. In 2004, GWB in large part won the election thanks to the latino vote in Florida. John Kerry still won that majority of latino support in the state, but the support for the dems was down from 2000. If African-Americans show the republican party that it could get legitimate black support (and not just hand out entitlements left and right), they may get interested and quick.

Until then, again, what incentive is there for republicans to waste two second on this large voting block and what incentive is there for dems to basically pay blacks lip service?

D

deleted15807

First, I would like to apolgize for token. I was not referring to you or anyone else as a noun, I was referring to token as an adjective. In reference to republicans. Democrats talk a good game but come up empty in helping the African-American community.

Republicans even less, but make token appearances so 90% of the black vote for dems does not become 99%.

I would take your post and substitute republican for democrat and vice-versa.

Did you read my link above? How are we to take seriously a group who supports candidates simply on skin color, no matter how radical and idiotic they are?

How am I supposed to react to a city in North Carolina (Durham) whos african-american repeatedly, even when it was painfully obvious the Duke lacrosse players and to this day, statements like "Whites always get away with assault and rapes of blacks. And even if they are innocent, what they did (what they did, exactly, please tell me) was bad enough." and even "if they are innocent, they should be held accountable for past issues."

Let me paint a picture. In 2004, GWB in large part won the election thanks to the latino vote in Florida. John Kerry still won that majority of latino support in the state, but the support for the dems was down from 2000. If African-Americans show the republican party that it could get legitimate black support (and not just hand out entitlements left and right), they may get interested and quick.

Until then, again, what incentive is there for republicans to waste two second on this large voting block and what incentive is there for dems to basically pay blacks lip service?

I didn't take offense to the term "token". We're good. :wink:

I did read your link and I have to agree, it's not a good look at all. We can't possibly take anyone seriously if they are radicals. However, I do find it interesting that you think that African Americans should somehow show the Republican party that they could get our votes rather than them showing US that they deserve our votes. To me, it seems like we as Black people have to shuck and jive to cater to them and only then will they consider doing including us in their decision making. I feel like even though you could possibly substitute Republican for Democrat, at least the Democrats have at least addressed the African American community or made us feel like we're somewhat a part of this country and we deserve a seat at the table with everyone else. I don't feel (and I only speak for myself and not the entire African American community) that the Republicans even desire to acknowledge that. One thing I do know about a lot of Black people is that we can read between the lines and recognize realness. The Republicans, as a party, just don't sit right with me and clearly for the rest of the African American community. And the way they've acted and treated President Obama since he's been in office definitely will NOT help them gain any new African American votes. I just don't see that happening in the near future.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
There was no excuse for the ACORN investigation to be dropped

What ACORN investigation was dropped? The following investigation cleared ACORN of criminal wrong doing and exposed O'Keefe's dishonest, evil tactics - where these dishonest tactics sadly led ACORN's to demise and Shirley Sherrod being fired:

http://www.lpsg.org/2643173-post66.html

"In actuality it was very disturbing that ACORN's detractors ,including those in Congress, relied on O'Keefe's manufactured stories to justify condemnation of ACORN instead of awaiting and relying on the investigation's outcome which proved O'Keefe's tales to be false and cleared ACORN of any criminal wrongdoing.

B'klyn ACORN cleared over giving illegal advice on how to hide money from prostitution

"Brooklyn prosecutors on Monday <March 1,2010> cleared ACORN of criminal wrongdoing after a four-month probe that began when undercover conservative activists filmed workers giving what appeared to be illegal advice on how to hide money.

While the video by James O'Keefe and Hannah Giles seemed to show three ACORN workers advising a prostitute how to hide ill-gotten gains, the unedited version was not as clear, according to a law enforcement source.
"They edited the tape to meet their agenda," said the source.
O'Keefe and Giles - who visited ACORN offices in several cities, including its Brooklyn headquarters - stirred controversy when they posted the videos on their Web site.

Reaction at ACORN, which is in the process of reorganizing and is struggling to re-establish its financing, was subdued.
"Acorn is gratified that the DA has concluded something we knew all along," ACORN lawyer Arthur Schwartz said, adding it was "unfortunate" the O'Keefe and Giles used "subterfuge to convince congress and the media to vilify an organization that didn't deserve it."

http://www.lpsg.org/194588-brietbart-faux-news-and-journalistic.html

dazedandconfused

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I didn't take offense to the term "token". We're good. :wink:

I did read your link and I have to agree, it's not a good look at all. We can't possibly take anyone seriously if they are radicals. However, I do find it interesting that you think that African Americans should somehow show the Republican party that they could get our votes rather than them showing US that they deserve our votes. To me, it seems like we as Black people have to shuck and jive to cater to them and only then will they consider doing including us in their decision making. I feel like even though you could possibly substitute Republican for Democrat, at least the Democrats have at least addressed the African American community or made us feel like we're somewhat a part of this country and we deserve a seat at the table with everyone else. I don't feel (and I only speak for myself and not the entire African American community) that the Republicans even desire to acknowledge that. One thing I do know about a lot of Black people is that we can read between the lines and recognize realness. The Republicans, as a party, just don't sit right with me and clearly for the rest of the African American community. And the way they've acted and treated President Obama since he's been in office definitely will NOT help them gain any new African American votes. I just don't see that happening in the near future.

I guess it is the chicken or egg argument. Republicans largely do not go for the black vote because republicans could court the vote until there blue in the face and at most, it means a 1-2% increase in the vote and they would probably lose more than that from other groups.

Some republicans can be the most anti-women, pro-life candidates and still garner at least 30% of the vote. And the black community being in lock-step with democrats, it hurts the community. Like I said, pretty much the only difference between republicans and democrats is the republicans outwardly show they do not give a crap about the black community.

Why are Latino issues talked about exponetially more than black issues? Because while Democrats always wins that vote, they showed they are willing to vote republican.

Both parties screw over african-americans.

I would have loved to see what would have happened if what happened occured in the final season of the west wing. If a Latino would have gotten the nomination before a black guy. The actors talked about how ticked off the black community was mad that a latino may get to the oval office before an african-american.

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I feel like even though you could possibly substitute Republican for Democrat, at least the Democrats have at least addressed the African American community or made us feel like we're somewhat a part of this country and we deserve a seat at the table with everyone else. I don't feel (and I only speak for myself and not the entire African American community) that the Republicans even desire to acknowledge that.
As an outsider looking in I notice race relations are a lot worse in the US than the UK. But I also wonder whether you arent missing the point about the republicans. perhaps it isnt black people they are down on but simply poor people. Increasingly including middle class white. The US may be instinctively racist but that isnt the motivation.

As an outsider looking in I notice race relations are a lot worse in the US than the UK. But I also wonder whether you arent missing the point about the republicans. perhaps it isnt black people they are down on but simply poor people. Increasingly including middle class white. The US may be instinctively racist but that isnt the motivation.

I definitely agree with you, dandelion. Black people in this country have always been associated with being poor, "inner city" and "urban". It may very well be that Republicans just lump them (us) in with everyone else who are less than wealthy. Of course, I can't speak for the party as a whole but that theory does make sense. It's unfortunate that it could possibly be case.

dazedandconfused

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

You hit the nail on the head. It comes down to socio-econimic factors, not color of the skin. Remember, before the civil war, poor whites where all but slaves.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
As an outsider looking in I notice race relations are a lot worse in the US than the UK. But I also wonder whether you arent missing the point about the republicans. perhaps it isnt black people they are down on but simply poor people.

You may well have a point. But is it necessarily either/or? It&#8217;s certainly possible to be down on both black people *and* poor people.

I definitely agree with you, dandelion. Black people in this country have always been associated with being poor, "inner city" and "urban". It may very well be that Republicans just lump them (us) in with everyone else who are less than wealthy.

But if they automatically make that assumption about black people in general, isn&#8217;t that already racist?

But if they automatically make that assumption about black people in general, isn’t that already racist?

Bingo. Either way, it doesn't bode well for Republicans. Especially after we elected the first biracial President. I believe 2008 was a turning point in this country and we can never go back.

dazedandconfused

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Poor whites were discarded and no one gave a crap about them from the elite who are the ones who owned slaves. Was not share-cropping de-facto slavery? We will give you money to live on a corner of the land and farm it (and never being able to pay someone completely back).

I am not arguing it from a splitting up family standpoint, I am talking about how poor whites were perceived. They were treated like crap.