Obama on His Bowling Skills: 'Like the Special Olympics'

Discussion in 'Politics' started by VeeP, Mar 20, 2009.

1. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I'll be here waiting with a baseball bat, waiting to swing at anyone who even dares to try and twist this into some kind of attack on the handicapped. We're all supposed to be adults on this board. It's about time we all act AND think like one.

3. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Seriously. Lying in wait to attack someone with a baseball bat... that's somehow adult-like?!? :rolleyes:

4. B_Mister Buildington

I think there is a double standard of sorts here when it comes to politics.

5. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think that is pretty fucking funny. It is a pretty common joke amongst us normal people to refer to the special olympics when dissing each other's athletic endeavors.

What is even more funny to me is that the people who now are all up in arms over this are the same kind of people that use the N word to degrade black people, who would spit on homeless people, hate jews, love bombing people, and probably never volunteered for anything, let alone a special olympics, in their lives. But now mugs want to get all righteous. Please suck a dick. Have none of you ever used the word retarded when referring to someone else, or even yourself? What is the difference?

Props to obama for displaying at least a little human-like behavior.

6. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Apparently, my attempt at intoxicated simile didn't work here. Perhaps I should have not had that extra Bacardi on the rocks? But I digress... As much as we may disagree politically and that I still drool over your spunk videos on your profile, surely you must've figured out that I didn't really intend to beat people for trying to twist this political story into something that it isn't.

I'm not a violent person at all. I just tend to verbalize rather twisted thoughts once in a while.

7. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Kind of like Bush on his presidential 'skills', no?

8. jessicarabbitszs

jessicarabbitszs New Member

I think this story is being blown wayyy out of proportion. We could make a monument to how many idiotic and offensive remarks that Bush made over the years...anyone remember the September 11th one?

9. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    I really didn't think so, VB, but you had me wondering with that one.

Obama's remark wasn't exactly 'presidential', on that we can probably agree. I wasn't 'outraged' (boy, has that word ever taken a beating this week!).

10. rheno

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Hahaha, comparing Obama and Bush is certainly like the olympics vs the special olympics, respectively. Do note, one in his position should be much more careful about his declarations.

11. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree completely.

My youngest sister (I have two, both younger) has a full array of special needs stemming from having contracted Eastern Equine Encephalitis from an insect bite when she was an infant. It honestly could have been any of us in the family who were staying at my grandmother's summer house in NH at the time, but it was her.

I've seen the disability community up close and personal for almost 38 years and the progress we've made is really remarkable in integrating people with disabilities into our lives. And although I don't consider myself disabled (and have never stopped working for more than 14 months), my AIDS diagnosis in 1996 qualifies me as such, as does my arthritic neck.

Personally, my humor runs really black when discussing my sister, myself, or anyone else who is living with a disability. By my standards, the "joke" is totally lame, much like his "Nancy Reagan" riff was a while back; it could only be construed as offensive to anyone looking to score cheap political points (and they are very cheap, indeed). Even the briefest glance at Obama's positions regarding disabilities will reassure anyone that concerned that he's head-and-shoulders above any president in recent memory, including GHWBush who signed the original ADA.

And his appointed advisers on both HIV and disability issues have drawn raves from their "communities". I do this for a living now, researching and writing about just these communities, so I'm not just talking out of my ass. Of my boss' six clients, four are disability-specific advocacy non-profits, nationally and locally influential. They rave about him, as well they should.

That having been said, because I'm so aware of the disabled community, I'm certain that offense will be taken. Because second only to the cliche of "the angry black man" is "the bitter gimp", this is gonna be an "issue" for every tool with an axe to grind, and they are legion.

12. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    Ohhhhhhhhh my (fawning about), he's so normal, and like "us". He can admit he's a "regular" guy yet turn a nose dive into a crash landing, with such eloquent speak and responsibility.

"*crack*"

"umm ladies and gentleman" (in that Eddie Murphy imitating a white business man impression) "this is your president speaking"... "we are currently heading for a nose dive, and..."

13. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Seriously... nose dive? Compare Obama's comments to ANYTHING our last president said. YouTube - Funny and Dumb Bush Quotes/Moments

Disclaimer: Yes, it's another Bush comment. It's the gift that keeps on giving, and yes we're gonna keep on bringing it up. Apparently, some of you forgot since January '09 just how much of a fuck up he was. And he was the president that many of your anti-Obama people voted for... TWICE. Review your 2000 & 2004 ballots. Voted for the man? Then please, turn away from this thread and walk away.

14. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

I freaking LOVE my president!

He casually cracks "American Idol" jokes and Special Olympic jokes, he has a quick, light, buoyant sense of humor. I get the feeling he does have a connection to the average Joe and Mary across this nation. His sense of humor isn't insular (meaning politicians usually joke about politics). This is a rounded, circumspect guy whose sense of humor and sense of ethics make me feel proud, first time in a long time, to be an american.

The thing is, this guy has to be under tremendous stress (anybody would be with the country's current problems). AND YET he's able to be both casually charming (and disarming) and serious. This is a personality I WANT LEADING MY COUNTRY. I'm finally getting the feeling that the Bush years are over, finished, exorcized out of the system (it's like even though it's "2009" you keep writing "2008"? - Except it's worse because "W" was in office for 8 long destructive years). This country's in capable hands now. There's a driver in the driver's seat who's actually paying attention to the road.

15. pym

pym New Member

Hey WILLTOM.........YUP!

16. Flashy

Gold Member

well, the fact is, like it or not, the implication is, by the joke, that he was so bad and so incompetent at bowling that he was at the "special olympics" level.

maybe that is a "humorous" cultural slight, implying how bad one is at something, but the implication is rather clear...if you are that bad at something, you should be in the "special olympics" and the implication of that is rather clear...that you are somehow handicapped and ill-equipped to compete at more "normal" levels.

say whatever you want, but i a have a sneaking suspicion that many of the folks on here who were so outraged by Cheney telling someone to go fuck themselves, might have grabbed this handoff and ran all the way for the political goal line had this remark been made by Herr Cheney, or Bush, or McCain or Palin.

why is it when the folks on here who oppose Obama use his slipups to score cheap political points it is so "lowdown", yet when the same is used by those who support him against his political enemies it suddenly becomes virtuous and funny?

frankly, i think many of the folks on here need to redefine what they think is "fair" or "cheap shots".

If you are willing to do the same to your enemies you have to be prepared for them to do the same to you. So either accept it with good humor or an admission of a screwup, or don't offer the same petty insults and invective you claim to abhor when you level it at others.

frankly, whether it is Cheney telling someone to go fuck themselves, or McCain saying "bomb bomb bomb Iran" or Obama calling his performance like "the special olympics", none of you should be using them to score points unless you are prepared to accept the same in return.

if you can't take the heat...you know the rest. Either give the insults and take them in return, or don't play the game.

17. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    i have a 1/2 sister who i always introduce as my "special needs" sister, and then go on to explain that she's not autistic, she's just veeerrryyy neeeedy, spoiled, and has to have things her way.

guess i'll have to stop doing that now too.

18. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:

Pathetic. If this was Bush... you'd have a field day with it. If it was a white Republican man making a race reference or a sexist comment, you'd be funking ballistic.

You know it.
    I know it.
    The American people know it.

Hypocrite.

19. pym

pym New Member

This entire thread just took the Gold Medal in the 'Special Polemics'

20. cjc3552

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I neither found the comment highly offensive nor particularly funny. I am actually quite surprised at those who seem happy that he made such a comment. Like a light went on, “Hey, I make comments about the Special Olympics and the President makes comments about the Special Olympics so since I’m cool when I make the jokes the President must be cool too.” I feel these people must also be the ones who are highly impressed when bands change the names of towns in their songs to match the state their in. But, I digress. My concern is more about politicians feeling the need to “relate to the average Joe and Jane”. Obama is not the average Joe. The average kid does not go to private school from the 5th grade on. His education is very impressive, and he should be proud, but I don’t think the average American can even tell you where Columbia and Harvard are located let alone be admitted. If I thought Obama was even close to being an average American I would go ahead and prepare for the utter collapse of this country. I don’t need a President who can relate to me, I need a President who can reform and grow our economy and put this country back on track. (On a side note, I do believe Obama can do this) If people want a president more like them, why was Bush not more popular? Now, Bush reminded more of the average American.

Draft saved Draft deleted