Obama on The Tonight Show

Discussion in 'Politics' started by vince, Mar 19, 2009.

1. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

My guess..his handlers hoping to deflect some current misery and outrage with some humor.

PR move. Probably a good idea.

So glad its not with that dipshit Letterman.

3. houtx48

Gold Member

glad it's not letterman too, hate it when dave tries to play nice. obama will be better on oatmeal leno.

4. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was wondering what Letterman might have to say. Think his nose could be a little out the socket? hehe...

It's a smart way to reach a part of the public that might not be watching "The Situation Room". LOL. He can talk directly over the heads of Rush, Obermann, Reilly, et al.

"Former White House press secretary Ari Fleischer says Obama is making a 'smart move' by going on Leno. 'I like the idea of presidents communicating through a variety of means,' Fleischer says. 'It doesn't always have to be a policy interview'."

5. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I 'love' that people are going around saying he's "over-exposed". Give me a f-ing break. It's amazing p.r....either someone's giving him great advice or he's just that good.

#5 B_Nick8, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  6. B_starinvestor

agreed

not so much

7. Flashy

Gold Member

Frankly, between the time he spends on this appearance on Leno, and the time he wasted shooting his college basketball bracket segment for ESPN yesterday, i would prefer it if he used his time to actually get the Treasury Department properly staffed.

I mean, yeah, who knows if you could find some help for your overwhelmed and under fire Treasury Secretary, in critical staff positions, if you stopped screwing around with ESPN about March Madness.

8. lucky8

Gold Member

I'd be down...anyone know how I go about applying?

9. pym

pym New Member

NOPE! Letterman scored Obama First. I am certain Obama is just throwin' Leno a bone before he bows out of the Tonight Show.
    Oh yeah......Stuttering Infantster...........Letterman thinks your a "DIP-SHIT" too! {errrrr.......so do I}

YouTube - Barack Obama on Letterman

YouTube - Barack Obama on David Letterman

TOP TEN LIST: Presented by Barack!
    YouTube - Barack gives the Top 10 on Letterman

Just for Fun......how FOX would spin it!
    YouTube - Letterman - A message from Barack Obama - 10-16-2008

10. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    When in doubt go with your strong suit and return to the campaign trail. Question is, will the teleprompter be in tow? :rolleyes:

11. B_starinvestor

Baffled by the English language again...

12. pym

pym New Member

UHhhhhhh.......anybody else just catch that cheap slight of hand Festie just pulled? Such a cheap FOX media trick......
    Make it 'LOOK' like a Fact by switching Quotations out of context!
    FAIL.

13. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

VeeP writes:
    When in doubt go with your strong suit and return to the campaign trail. Question is, will the teleprompter be in tow? :rolleyes:

--------------------

I really resent this cheap, catty teleprompter remark. Obama was in Orange County yesterday here in California (he's in Burbank today for Leno).

Of all the places in California to give a speech, Obama chose the single republican stronghold in L.A. county (this county was pro-McCain, consistently votes republican). After the speech, he had a sort of free-for-all where he addressed audience questions. It was totally random - in fact, he decided to address questions on a boy-girl-boy-girl basis to be fair - talking off-the-cuff to a not-completely-receptive audience.

This is in stark contrast to Bush's modus operandi which was to visit cheering, fawning venues where his people pre-selected only "appropriate" questions that were in no way hostile to the Bush agenda. People with flags and pro-Bush signs were given prominent placements for the cameras and the occasional protester who managed to get in through tight security was sometimes visibly whisked off the grounds (almost South America junta style).

Obama gave a speech (probably off teleprompters which is understandable), but then completely winged it in his own charming, personable, self-deprecating style that won the audience over.

#13 D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse, Mar 19, 2009
  14. B_starinvestor

Re-read the OP, goofball.:cool:

15. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    My, that's a lot of resentment for a tongue-in-cheek remark that wasn't leveled at you. Evidently I've gone and rained on your mancrush. Sorry! :sad2:

16. midlifebear

Gold Member

It's sometimes hard to read Letterman, who is basically a fiscal conservative. But after the first 4 years of Bush is was obvious Letterman was begging to allow short flashes of outright contempt for the man. I was surprised to see the Obama segments of Letterman of during the campaign where you see, watching the first appearance to the last, it's obvious Letterman was/became convinced that Obama was his choice as the better candidate. He was merely polite and direct with McCain.

As for the Tonight Show, it's always been a favorite pick for Republican candidates to show up and feel right at home. Ronnie the Reagan was a frequent guest or "walk on" during his two terms as Governor of California. The Arnold "I'll be back" announced his own candidacy for Governor on that chat show. And it has always been the private stomping grounds for rabid Republican old show business icons: Bob Hope anyone?

So, I find it more amazing that Obama is making an appearance, not as the President of the USA, but as an icon of the Democratic Party Machine. Those guests have been rarer than hens teeth on the goofy and way liberal Tonight Show started by Steve Allen and continued by Jack Paar.

#16 midlifebear, Mar 19, 2009
  17. B_starinvestor

Calling it a 'mancrush' is like calling NYC a village.

18. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

19. pym

pym New Member

I posted my response to an 'AS QUOTED' Sentence. Which you 'Conveniently' neglected to add to your SPIN'ed up response. FATHER of LIES, Do you even recognize the truth anymore?
    Unlike YOU Festie......i DO NOT misquote people.....ever.
    I know that you find that sort posting{and journalism} Acceptable.....But that is your style, NOT mine.

For You Festie:
    FATHER WILLIAM
    Father William, by Lewis Carroll

20. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    On second thought it may be a full-fledged 'bromance'... :tongue:

:biggrin1:

#20 VeeP, Mar 19, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted