Obama proposes largest defense budget since WWII

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Qua, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    #1 Qua, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    [​IMG]

McCain's Top Campaign Adviser: Record Deficits Would Have Happened Under McCain, Too

In an interview on MSNBC, Douglas Holtz-Eakin argued that under McCain's stewardship economic policy would have been strikingly different than under Obama -- with a much smaller stimulus bill and government expenditures going down as opposed to up.
    But the former Congressional Budget Office director did acknowledge that, even with these changes, the country "probably would still have a record deficit" as is projected under the Obama administration.......
    McCain's Top Campaign Adviser: Record Deficits Would Have Happened Under McCain, Too

3. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    I feel like I've been calling strawman a lot on this board lately. And this is a hypothetical strawman at that. :frown1:

4. Industrialsize

Albums:
    I'm not sure what you mean??????

5. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    It wasn't a refutation of the point i provided, it was a misrepresentation of my position which you then proceeded to handily refute. It's called a strawman argument because its easy to create and destroy a strawman. It's done ALL the time here, and is really quite annoying. It's a deflection and a distraction, not a refutation. Sargon is the king of it.

I said nothing about John McCain or whether he would have done better.
    I was simply pointing out an irony in Obama's proposing a defense budget even larger than the one the left bemoaned under Bush. And the fact that he inherited two wars doesn't account for it (unless the money for the troop increase in Afghanistan covers the difference, I didn't check that closely).

EDIT: My agenda here is nothing more that to point out that Obama's not that great. Liberals embrace him the way conservatives did bush, refusing to hear opposition and basically responding with "well you're wrong." When Bush was in office I was a mild apologist if anyone remembers, since the tone was to criticize and assume no good could come of him. Now it's the reverse. Criticism is assumed to come from inherent hatred. It's the same attitude Bush supporters threw at Obama supporters. So now I'm a mild critic. I only aim to provide some decently reasoned balance. People here view this as "us vs them" as much so as the Republicans talked about in another thread. It's divisive and petty, and happens equally on both sides.

#5 Qua, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  6. Industrialsize

Albums:
    My apologies, I misread your post because I'm multi tasking and have the news on where pundits are arguing about deficits.........My brain read Defense as Deficit......

7. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Ohhhhh. Well it still would have been a strawman, just not as awful a strawman :tongue:

8. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
  9. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you're going to play forum cop, then at least be diligent.

There are plenty of instances when "liberals" not only are not "refusing to hear opposition", but are themselves actively critical of Obama. E.g., http://www.lpsg.org/2567106-post100.html

10. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh I'm aware. Plenty do, and more power to them. And plenty don't. Instances of listening to criticism are great, but plenty refuse. And most of the conservatives here don't help >_<

11. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Translation: I saw an inflammatory headline and jumped on my chance to join the LPSG Politics Pot-Stirring Polemicists Paddywagon at last.

:yawn:

By the bye, since that was your stated agenda, any reply that rebuts said agenda is germane...and therefore, by definition, not a strawman. It's a bit disingenuous to lay claim to such a nebulous goal while complaining about the lack of specificity in others' retorts.

But, as you already noted...there's a lot of that going on around here.
    :rolleyes:

12. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Hahaha touche. I knew I was in trouble when I decided to state an agenda...life's a lot easier, though, less fulfilling when you have no goals anyways.

13. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

This signals a couple of things.

1. Obama is listening to his military/defense advisors, and not pandering to the far left anti-defense fringe. This is a positive.

2. After taking inventory of his first year, he knows that he absolutely cannot afford or survive a defense breakdown or national security disaster. It will completely sink him and the entire democratic party. Thus he is ramping up defense.

3. For once - in a long, long while - his administration is being honest and forthcoming about something.

Hopefully he can stay with this. I would have much more patience for somebody that is honest - and ultimately makes a mistake; than somebody who is purposely dishonest and then backpedals when his lies come to the surface.

+1 for Obama. Finally.

14. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

if only

the Obama budget assumes the economy will experience SIX YEAR OF ABOVE-AVERAGE GROWTH with no complications from high interest rates or inflation!

what world do those people live in?

15. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

For someone like you, that is so against anything liberal, it's called being BIPARTISAN. Remember that next time. There will be a quiz later. :rolleyes:

16. midlifebear

Gold Member

Now, how much is that thar military budget compared to our military budgets from 1941 to 1945 dollars adjusted for inflation?

17. 1kmb1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    lol thats because they actually included the cost of the wars!

18. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

How much smoke is actually emitted from that bong that you keep nailing every five minutes? I mean, is it like soup? Just wondering if you have an unobstructed view to the computer screen. Maybe blow the bong smoke the other direction??

Just trying to help.

#18 B_starinvestor, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  19. houtx48

Gold Member

The link actually did adjust for inflation..............was that in the first link?

20. midlifebear

Gold Member

Star: Did my PM help? Any questions? Would you like to elaborate? Any time, fun bunny! :smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted