Obama & racism

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I live in a State that is the home of Harold Ford, a black congressman and outstanding American. When he ran for the US Senate against Bob Corker, the RNC ran adds with white girls dressed scantily beckoning Ford to call them. Being from the south, I know something about racism. Let me tell you, the ad that ran played on a sterotype in the south that drives white men crazy... interracial relationships. In Corker's defense, he asked the RNC to stop running the ad, but they declined. Corker won the election.

YouTube - Racist RNC AD

As for Obama, do I think ppl @ lpsg are racists? NO! Do I think people won't vote for Obama because he is black? Yes. How do I know so? Because my own in-laws have even said so.

This is a secret in the south that will remain until the end of time. However, I believe most people under 40 years old don't see color, so perhaps racism will see its demise one day.

The point is, while many @ lpsg don't care for Obama, I don't think they are racist.

B_24065

1st Like
Media
Absolutely Dave... great point. If you vote for a candidate because of their race, you are just as much a biggot as someone who does NOT vote for them for the same reason.

BTW, im from the same state, and that doesnt make me or anyone else an authority on racism.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As for Obama, do I think ppl @ lpsg are racists? NO! Do I think people won't vote for Obama because he is black? Yes. How do I know so? Because my own in-laws have even said so.

This is a secret in the south that will remain until the end of time. However, I believe most people under 40 years old don't see color, so perhaps racism will see its demise one day.

The point is, while many @ lpsg don't care for Obama, I don't think they are racist.

I think the issue of race becomes less of an issue with each passing generation.

I recently introduced my partner of 5 years to my family. This is the first time i ever introduced someone to my family as such, and he was greeted very well. But the best part of all of this was when he met my younger nieces and nephews. All under the age of 8, and they didn't think twice of accepting him due to his skin color. In fact, they also called him "uncle" as well. Definitely a good sign if you ask me. :biggrin1:

But I digress... I doubt we will ever be completely free of this, however, the more we can make racism less an issue the better it'll be for everyone.

D_O_Revoir

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have always found females that don't look like me (black girls, asian girls, latinas)to be much hotter overall. Does that make me a reverse racist ?

D

deleted15807

A very interesting article on 'Colorism' here.

The authors carried out a disturbing study in which whites were asked to evaluate candidates for a hypothetical Senate election:
[T]he findings are clear and consistent with regard to skin color. Black candidates were punished regardless of skin color in elections where their opponent was white. However, when two black candidates opposed each other, lighter skin was an important predictor of candidate popularity and voting. In this condition, the light-skinned black candidate prevailed over his darker opponent by an astonishing 18 percentage points, a larger margin than any other treatment group received. Holding the candidate platform and respondent ideology constant, the probability of casting a vote for Candidate A increased by 21 percentage points going from the dark-skinned to light-skinned black candidate.
And there’s more:
Voters’ preferences for the lighter black held regardless of the racial predispositions of the subject. Respondents also rated the light-skinned black candidate as being more intelligent, more experienced, and more trustworthy than his dark-skinned opponent. Thus, black candidates were disadvantaged by race, but the support eroded even further when the candidate’s complexion was dark.

----------

The interesting thing is all around the world and I've been to many countries there seems to be a built-in preference for 'the lighter the better' thinking. It spans cultures and countries. The interesting thing is why?

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I see nothing wrong with a black person( democrat or republican) voting for Obama simply because he is black. After all they voted for the white man for so many years. I also see nothing wrong with a white man voting for Obama simply because he is black. The same goes for Palin. Women will be voting for her in record numbers. Our nation is a wonderful melting pot of all races. Its about time it reflect that in washington. Im dealing in reality. I would hope people vote on the issues. However many will not vote that way this time. One of the candidates lack of qualifications is simply dismal and shocking. I also think some people (black or white) will vote the party line as usual. Either way we will have the first black president or the first female V.P. So when all is said and done their will be a change in washington.

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay