Obama replaces McChrystal with Petraeus

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_talltpaguy, Jun 23, 2010.

1. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

AP source: Obama replaces McChrystal with Petraeus

By JENNIFER LOVEN and ANNE GEARAN,
    June 23rd, 2010 – 11 mins ago

AP source: Obama replaces McChrystal with Petraeus - Yahoo! News

2. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Honestly think this should be merged with the first thread...

3. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Damn... that was fast! :)
    This just aired on all the networks here in NYC about a few minutes ago.

4. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Interesting that McChrystal's replacement is Petraeus... Gonna be hard for anyone to bitch about that one.

#4 B_talltpaguy, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  5. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

The first thread is a partisan hatchet job that should be closed. I will not discuss this topic under such false pretenses, especially considering that this isn't even a partisan issue...

So, now we have a thread starts out with nothing but a matter-of-fact tone reporting the news, and the members can take it from there...

6. maxcok

Gold Member

I agree, Tallguy, good to start fresh. Why don't you post a link in that other thread directing folks over here?

#6 maxcok, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  7. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    According to my ex-marine coworker: McChrystal should have been thrown in the brig, stripped of rank and dishonorably discharged for gross insubordination

8. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

^Meh, I wouldn't go that far with it... I think it was wise for McChrystal to resign and move on, rather than Obama firing him and dragging this out and inviting criticism of some sort of partisan 'witch hunt' BS...

Though the White House could have gone the tough route by having the Pentagon fire him. From what I've heard, Gates himself was prepared to fire him of his own accord, based on the UCMJ...

From the Uniform Code of Military Justice:
    Uniform Code of Military Justice

9. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

That Rolling Stone writer must be a damn fine journalist.
    He obviously got so much in their pockets that they assumed he was one of them in spirit ... and would compassionately censor their more outrageous comments.
    Hard to believe McChrystal would be so dumb.

Yes. A brilliant choice.

10. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^ exactly! where's the court martial?

11. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was almost ready to cut off my support of Obama if this had not happened. I've almost had it with his overly pragmatic ways. Glad he showed he still has some balls left.

12. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

I consider it a showing of respect for a man who has served his country well and done so for nearly 3 decades. The political right called for a break for McChrystal, and it sure looks like he just got one. Things could have easily been much worse for McChrystal.

...and how predictable that the Republicans took the position which favored flouting the rules and disrespecting what's best for the country in historical terms, in favor of a partisan position they calculated as being beneficial to their own narrow agenda in an election year. My guess is that like so many other issues in recent years, their cynicism will harm them more than help them.

13. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^ agree with that

14. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:

Agreed, and my thanks to you for beginning from a clean slate absent any of the usual crap. I won't participate in such threads, and have taken to reporting them whenever they arise.

On-topic, I don't believe Obama had any real alternative in this matter. There is a reason that our civilian president has command of all military forces, and that system of order must be respected regardless of how any of its players feel about current events. The RS article clearly points to a culture of disrespect within SMc's command structure, and that cannot be permitted to persist.

15. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, if you're a General, your comments about your commander in chief should be polite; in war time there is no reason to bicker with those who are first in command. Though I hate the war and what it stands for, if you're in the "game" STFU....

16. D_Tully Tunnelrat

D_Tully Tunnelrat New Member

I think it was more a case of McChrystal being so arrogant. The man does not know when to hold back. He said so himself. He's a smart strategist, but clearly has no diplomatic skills whatsoever. Won't be the first general to pit himself against the CIC, and loose.

McArthur comes to mind, but there have been others under Carter, and Clinton. Going back to the Civil War McClellan was so arrogant he called Lincoln a fool, got himself sacked, and then proceeded to run for President against Grant who trounced him politically, as he did militarily. I don't think McChrystal will ever make it that far. Glad to see that Barack stood up to him.

McChrystal's latest find was all the mineral rights in Afghanistan, which he claims are enough to make the country not only solvent, but a leading mineral, and mining exporter. With some form of economic sustainability that country might finally escape 30 years of civil war... although the environmental damage would be even more catastrophic than the war.

17. maxcok

Gold Member

Politically a very savvy choice. He's highly respected on both sides of the aisle, adored by the Republicans,
    and his confirmation will be near instantaneous.

Militarily a perfect choice, since he's already in theater, and as Centcom commander he's already overseeing the effort in Afghanistan. The transition will be near seamless. It never occurred to me that Obama would reach up for a replacement, which is why I said in that other thread it was unfortunate that despite his mouth McChrystal was probably the best man for the mission, and therefore hard to replace. (This is technically a demotion for Petraeus, but what does he care? He comes out looking like a hero.)

Strategically, I'm not entirely sure. Petraeus wrote the book, as they say, on counter insurgency. Literally. The question is whether the strategy we're currently pursuing in Afghanistan has the right emphasis to achieve our objectives there. I have some serious questions about that. I hope that the strategy, and even our goals, will undergo some careful review and a shift in emphasis in relatively short order.

#17 maxcok, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  18. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm not in support of this war either and have stated so in past threads. However a general in the U.S. Army should not be in the business of questioning command in a public arena. I linked this article (in another thread) about why that can be counterproductive to the effort:

What the Taliban Think of McChrystal's Ouster - Newsweek

Such comments embolden the enemy, and raise doubts among your own troops.

In either case this can result in the loss of additional lives: of American and Allied men and women in the armed forces, of Afghanistan men, women, and children, caught in the crossfire.

In short, stupidly disappointing.

19. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    McClellan ran against Lincoln too, I believe. BTW, I love you for bringing that up :biggrin1:

20. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well, I made it over here to the real thread and I have to say... it's refreshing not having to wade through inane commentary.

I'm not sure it will come to that because fines, demotion by one star and subsequent forced retirement are about as extreme as it gets for flag-rank officers who get cross-wise with the civilian leadership. (Don't get me wrong, if they committed a more serious offense, I'm sure more serious punishment would find them.)

Too much punishment and the attendant publicity would distract from the real crisis: no feet-on-the-ground leadership for the troops in Afghanistan. The sooner the President, the Army, and the country moves off of McChrystal, the sooner we can get back to the details of America's planned withdrawal from Afghanistan and pulling our troops out of harm's way.

Draft saved Draft deleted