Obama says its time to say goodbye to Afghanistan......

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cruztbone, Jun 22, 2011.

1. cruztbone

Gold Member

FINALLY! the announcement so many of us have waited for has arrived. as he pointed out, correctly, its time to do nation building here at home. lets not forget who to thank for this decade-long war, George W Bush. the number of troops leaving is much more than the pentagon wanted. TOO DAMN BAD!!!
    some small amount of :biggrin1:sanity has returned to the defense dept. thank you Mr. president, Mr. vice -president and Secretary of defense (as of next week) Leon Panetta.

2. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I predict that two years after the last American soldier is gone, there will be no sign that U.S. troops were ever in Afghanistan.
    Okay, okay ... bit of hyperbole there.
    But it won't be far off.

3. conntom

Gold Member

You might be spot on but who cares.

Get out of there now. This was one thing I looked forward to with his election and why the HECK hasn't it happened yet!!??

4. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

I wonder, could it have anything to do the the up coming election? Hmmm...

Timing is everything!

5. BigInBellevue

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Obama didn't say that. He caved in to the military and only 10,000 will get out this year instead of the 20,000 Obama wanted. IT'S TIME TO GET OUT OF AFGHANISTAN NOW! It's a quagmire. We have spent trillions and there is no promise of getting out before 2014. We will have twice as many troops in Afghanistan after next year as we had in 2009. The percentage of mercenaries (making much more than our troops) is increasing. Where are Obama's campaign promises?

6. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    This

7. D_Davy_Downspout

D_Davy_Downspout Account Disabled

We're still there indefinitely, he's just taking the surge troops out so low-info liberals will think he's actually doing something.

He'll still continue to blow hundreds of billions on our little imperialist adventure while telling us how we have to tighten our belts in education, and our retirements.

Also we're going to still hand giant wads of cash to the people that put us out of work.

Fuck Obama.

8. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    :You_Rock_Emoticon:

9. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Well, yeah... it does have something to do with that to some degree since cutting down the number of troops in Afghanistan was actually one of his promises. Obama even stated earlier in his presidency that he wanted to start winding things down in Afghanistan by 2011. Back in January of 2010 when Obama deployed two more brigades to Afghanistan, he also stated that after 18 months our troops will begin to come home. Here we are almost 18 months later and he's sticking to that statement. Funny how so many forgot this, especially when the general consensus in this thread (from what I can read) is that everyone wants the wars to end. - PolitiFact | The Obameter: Send two additional brigades to Afghanistan

As for the specifics, people need to keep in mind that the President are granted access to content regarding these wars that we will never see. Anyone can speculate and estimate how long a war is going to last and how much it costs, but there's never a guarantee that it will go exactly to plan. From my standpoint, I see someone who is trying to stick to their initial plan and making what they feel are necessary changes going by the information they are presented. That's what a president is supposed to do.

Alas, some people will never be happy and will always find a reason to complain. You'd think those who want the wars to end would be somewhat pleased to see that Obama is actually trying to do something about it. Oh well...

10. houtx48

Gold Member

Another one of Zippy Bush's better ideas to be cleaned up.

11. Boobalaa

Gold Member

He's actually pulling out the "Surge"/Occupying/Reinforcement Forces..so there will be as many soldiers left there as there were before the surge/occupation/reinforcement forces arrived..

He is campaigning for re-election

He said nothing about the private contractors who number more than the troops stationed over there

12. cruztbone

Gold Member

apparently, some of you have the attention span of a gnat or are just living in a coma. do you NOT remember Obama's repeated promise to get Bin Laden and stop the flow of Al-Qayda into pakistan and afghanistan duriing the campaign? well , i do. i was a volunteer then and will be next year as well.
    the pentagon brass are unhappy with Obama's decision. Grampy McSame is unhappy with Obama's decision. the families of our troops there ARE happy with the decision.
    i think that speaks volumes. God bless president Obama. yes, he IS doing what he said he would do . yet again.

13. Pierced1953

Pierced1953 New Member

Albums:

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget all those big contrators making trils that support obama.

time for a fucking change....fuck you obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. itsthepopei

itsthepopei Active Member

Albums:
    Its about damn time i thought it was a massive blunder from the start. Afghanistan has a reputation for killing empires that stretches back to Alexander why anyone would chose to do a balls out attack on it escaped me then and still dose today. the proper response would have been to stealth bomb the living daylights out of the terror camps and aggressively hunt down remnants with SF. I remember saying that in 8th grade and being labeled a traitor by my teacher "oh how hindsight got to be a bitch." Ultimately nation building is only as effective as the industrial base that existed before it was bombed out so engaging in it in a country that has the next best thing to a 1940s industrial base and who's principal export was and still is opium made no sense. Im glad to see us leave this economic and political black hole.

OOps my bad looks like we are just drawing down the surge

#14 itsthepopei, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  15. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    There has been an amusing wave of european countries announcing their solidarity that they will be cutting forces too. Wonder what Churchill would have said since he was there fighting. Ah... he wrote about it... what he did say was:

"Every influence, every motive, that provokes the spirit of murder among men, impels these mountaineers to deeds of treachery and violence. The strong aboriginal propensity to kill, inherent in all human beings, has in these valleys been preserved in unexampled strength and vigour. That religion, which above all others was founded and propagated by the sword--the tenets and principles of which are instinct with incentives to slaughter and which in three continents has produced fighting breeds of men--stimulates a wild and merciless fanaticism."

But probably they dont use swords now. And I think he thoroughly enjoyed his time there, he enjoyed combat.

#15 dandelion, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  16. cruztbone

Gold Member

PERHAPS if some of you bothered to read what Obama said, instead of sounding like complete asswholes, you will recognize that this ten -year war cant be ended in one week. sorry. He is doing EXACTLY what he said he would do. again. in september of next year, he said the troops will continue to be withdrawn at a steady pace. This makes sense and will prevent the loss of our soldiers lives who are still in harms way. At the same time, it infuriates McCain and his endless war crowd. the withdrawals are continuing AFTER the presidential election next year, which some of you are ignoring. we do have them every four years , in case you forgot.
    What you also forgot in all this is that he opened the strategic oil reserves. he would not have done that if her were planning any foreign miliitary adventures.
    wake up, read a book (regarding recent US and asian history) and GET A FUCKING CLUE!!!

17. D_Davy_Downspout

D_Davy_Downspout Account Disabled

I'm not really sure who or what you're arguing against here.

18. MercyfulFate

MercyfulFate New Member

Albums:
    What? Hes reducing less than he added. Oh and hows Gitmo doing? Still open huh?

19. cruztbone

Gold Member

pierced 1953, the big military contractors DONT support Obama, which is just one of the many headwinds he is fighting in order to bring the troops OUT of Afghanistan. if you will look at the next reports of who contributed to whom for the 2012 presidential race, which will be made public next week. you will see that the military contractors will give a little money to obama and a LOT of money to 'Romney. they do this to cover both outcomes, but they lean GOP , and for good reason. they know that if the GOP controls the house, they will get EVERY stiniking defense project, plus billions in cost overruns they want. Obama has no friends or allies at these companies.The big millitary industrial complex that president Eisenhower (remember him? he was president during our childhood) warned about in his farewell speech of 1960 has been in place since WW2 and is an industry of its own. it creates its own weather in DC, has a full time huge PR factory that lobbies the white house and congress daily warining of dire conserquences if all their requests arent met. NONE of them are too happy with Obama right now, because his troop removal program is VERY unpopular with them and also their fave US senator , Grampy McSame (aka McCain). all of this has been widely reported by numerous news organizations, including Democracy Now!
    try reading some of them. it might help you understand better.

20. MercyfulFate

MercyfulFate New Member

Albums:
    U
    Its cute that you try so hard to pretend Obama isn't part of the military complex and stick to propaganda to prove your point.

Draft saved Draft deleted