Obama says its time to say goodbye to Afghanistan......

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well then, let's hear your analysis.
And make it good. You know how that propaganda stuff works out around here. :rolleyes:

Analysis of what? The proof is in Obama's actions. Illegal war in Libya, thats only one point of many. Hes using newspeak to make the war sound like it isn't a war at all, and his supporters defend him.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Analysis of what? The proof is in Obama's actions. Illegal war in Libya, thats only one point of many. Hes using newspeak to make the war sound like it isn't a war at all, and his supporters defend him.

I thought this thread was about Afghanistan and not Libya? Oh well...

Nobody here has no full understanding what is going on in Libya. What we do know is that ten countries (which include the United States) voted to invade. That placed the president in a tight situation where he has a completely polarized Congress with opponents willing to go to major lengths of hypocrisy to stick it to him and an international obligation that needed to be met in order to maintain foreign relations. Perhaps Obama should have been one of the few countries (like Brazil) who decided not to vote on this issue? We could speculate about that all day if we wanted to... but at the end of the day there's enough propaganda going back and forth between Obama supporters and the anti-war crowd to go around.

Those who need to find a reason to critique Obama for whatever reason will say anything to downplay or discredit his actions. Sure, he's only decreasing the amount of troops in Afghanistan by a small amount but ultimately he's doing what he stated he would do 18 months ago. He's maintaining another one of his campaign & presidential promises, and as of this point that can't be disputed. As for Libya... that's an UN thing. It's ridiculous to only focus on Obama here and not the other nine countries involved in this fight.

As for the accusation that it's just a political move to pander to his base? That's pretty weak considering all politicians who want to keep their jobs in Congress have to pander to some degree. The most dedicated of Obama supporters will always find every move he makes to be a good one. And contrary to belief by some of our board's more "progressive types", I'm not a major fan or supporter of any of these wars. At the same time, however, I understand how complex these issues are and try to take into consideration the actions and beliefs of everyone involved. Everyone knows that we're not going to remove all our troops from the Middle East in one day (or even one year). Obama may have bent the rules so that we can deal with Libya and maintain foreign and UN relations, however, unless the Congress does its job and holds Obama responsible for his actions it doesn't matter one bit. Why else would they vote to be against the action, yet not cut the funding for it?

From my angle, it seems as if there's a lot of the usual rhetorical gum flapping from political opportunists with very few sincere people being heard, and not enough trying to understand the complexity of the issue from all angles. Until we know all the details about Afghanistan and Libya, it's hard for anyone to be passing judgement.

Last edited:

D_Davy_Downspout

Account Disabled
Media
Yes nobody understands Libya it's a complex issue we should trust that we're doing the right thing it's only coincidental that it benefits us.

And we don't get involved in the Congo or Sudan or whatever because

Oh the warmongering president has done something that could vaguely be interpreted as what the warmonger said he would do a couple months ago, never mind that he's expanded other military conflicts at the same time?

Well hot damn, a tiny sliver of progress is all we can expect, so we should laud him for it.

Man, when you set the bar so low it sure is easy to jump it.

Last edited:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Actually, watching people try to detract the thread from Afghanistan to focus on other places such as Congo, Sudan, Libya and other non-related issues is the problem. Why try to continually change the subject of threads so you can grandstand and banter about your own sub-related issues, when you can start your own threads about them and perhaps people may respond?

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I thought this thread was about Afghanistan and not Libya? Oh well...

Nobody here has no full understanding what is going on in Libya. What we do know is that ten countries (which include the United States) voted to invade. That placed the president in a tight situation where he has a completely polarized Congress with opponents willing to go to major lengths of hypocrisy to stick it to him and an international obligation that needed to be met in order to maintain foreign relations. Perhaps Obama should have been one of the few countries (like Brazil) who decided not to vote on this issue? We could speculate about that all day if we wanted to... but at the end of the day there's enough propaganda going back and forth between Obama supporters and the anti-war crowd to go around.

Those who need to find a reason to critique Obama for whatever reason will say anything to downplay or discredit his actions. Sure, he's only decreasing the amount of troops in Afghanistan by a small amount but ultimately he's doing what he stated he would do 18 months ago. He's maintaining another one of his campaign & presidential promises, and as of this point that can't be disputed. As for Libya... that's an UN thing. It's ridiculous to only focus on Obama here and not the other nine countries involved in this fight.

As for the accusation that it's just a political move to pander to his base? That's pretty weak considering all politicians who want to keep their jobs in Congress have to pander to some degree. The most dedicated of Obama supporters will always find every move he makes to be a good one. And contrary to belief by some of our board's more "progressive types", I'm not a major fan or supporter of any of these wars. At the same time, however, I understand how complex these issues are and try to take into consideration the actions and beliefs of everyone involved. Everyone knows that we're not going to remove all our troops from the Middle East in one day (or even one year). Obama may have bent the rules so that we can deal with Libya and maintain foreign and UN relations, however, unless the Congress does its job and holds Obama responsible for his actions it doesn't matter one bit. Why else would they vote to be against the action, yet not cut the funding for it?

From my angle, it seems as if there's a lot of the usual rhetorical gum flapping from political opportunists with very few sincere people being heard, and not enough trying to understand the complexity of the issue from all angles. Until we know all the details about Afghanistan and Libya, it's hard for anyone to be passing judgement.

It has nothing to do with simply bashing Obama for the sake of it. It has to do with having given him a chance and now seeing people defend him for similar things that Bush did.

Remember the stories about Gadaffi ordering mass rapes? Turns out that has no factual basis, just like the first Gulf war when a massive PR campaign was launched to convince people Saddam was pulling babies out of incubators. We're also bombing Yemen as well.

We're broke, we need to end all the wars and Obama was voted in as the anti-thesis to Bush. He hasn't ended any wars, or closed Gitmo, etc. His reduction in troops in Afghanistan means nothing because it's less than the troop surge that already occured during his presidency.

The anti-war Obama supporters supporting Libya just make my head spin, that's all.

Cuddler

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It has nothing to do with simply bashing Obama for the sake of it. It has to do with having given him a chance and now seeing people defend him for similar things that Bush did.

There's always going to be some similarities between presidents and their actions if we take the time to make the comparisons. But overall, Obama is not handling the situation in the same exact matter as Bush.

Remember the stories about Gadaffi ordering mass rapes? Turns out that has no factual basis, just like the first Gulf war when a massive PR campaign was launched to convince people Saddam was pulling babies out of incubators. We're also bombing Yemen as well.

The claim about "mass rapes" was made by Luis Moreno-Ocampo, the International Criminal Court's chief prosecutor and not Obama. - Gaddafi ordered mass rape as a weapon, International Criminal Court claims - Telegraph

We're broke, we need to end all the wars and Obama was voted in as the anti-thesis to Bush.

Well first off, the "we're broke" line has no merit anymore. It doesn't work when opponents on the right use it to validate their claims for attacking Medicare & Medicaid and I don't buy it now even when it's being used to do something that I actually favor, which is ending the wars in the Middle East. Secondly, perhaps you voted for Obama on the idea that he was supposed to be the polar opposite of Bush but not me. Rhetorically speaking, Obama was "anything but Bush" based on his speech making and his appearance alone. But as I stated earlier and in other threads, there is always some level of similarity between presidents if we get detailed enough.

He hasn't ended any wars, or closed Gitmo, etc. His reduction in troops in Afghanistan means nothing because it's less than the troop surge that already occured during his presidency.

Gitmo is becoming one of the most overplayed cards in these arguments.
According to a timeline presented on the issue by Salon.com, Obama actually signed an executive order directing the Military to close Gitmo on Jan. 22, 2009. He campaigned on this issue for the rest of that year. In January of 2010 after a failed terrorist attack around Christmas, the Justice Department-led task force came to the conclusion that nearly 50 of the 196 detainees at Guantanamo Bay should be held indefinitely without trial under the laws of war. On top of this, certain Gitmo prisoners that were supposed to be transferred to Yemen around that time was halted after it was discovered that many of them (including the attacker on Christmas) originated from Yemen. It also didn't help matters that the current administration was also receiving pressure from Senate Republicans to keep Gitmo open:

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), hailed the decision and urged that Guantanamo not be closed. "Given the determined nature of the threat from Al Qaeda, it made little sense to transfer detainees from the secure facility at Guantanamo back to Yemen, where previously transferred detainees have escaped from prison and returned to Al Qaeda... Guantanamo remains the proper place for holding terrorists, especially those who may not be able to be detained as securely in a third country." - U.S. to halt Guantanamo detainee transfers to Yemen - Los Angeles Times

These are some of the many historical facts that are left out by people who just want to criticize Obama for not closing Gitmo as he originally campaigned on. But as anyone can see, there were many other issues that arose after he signed the executive order to do so. Instead of just blaming Obama for this, why don't we look into the Justice Department as well as the Military who made it a point to delay the process for an entire year after the executive order was issued? Or is blaming Obama for it the easier thing to do? Remember, hate is in this year... even more than when Bush was in office and everyone was yelling "Anyone but Bush" knowing he couldn't run for a third term anyhow.

He hasn't ended any wars, or closed Gitmo, etc. His reduction in troops in Afghanistan means nothing because it's less than the troop surge that already occured during his presidency.

That's where we will disagree. We both share the same desires to see the war end. However, Obama also campaigned that he would take any necessary steps to finish the war in Afghanistan and that required a temporary escalation in troops a number of times in 2009. IMO, the outcry about reducing troops now seems to be fueled by people's angst to see the wars end and selected words from his campaign speeches (while ignoring key words and actions from others).

The anti-war Obama supporters supporting Libya just make my head spin, that's all.

I doubt that they're blindly "supporting the war", but are just accepting the fact that shit's complicated in the Middle East and are allowing things to play out before making judgements and assessments. Military reform is just one of a few major components we need to visit in order to balance our budget properly. If issues surrounding the Middle East continue to be a little touchy and the underlining issue is really about the Economy, there's still a lot we can do with Wall Street, Energy, Banking, Telecommunications, Real Estate and Transportation Reform while we properly deal with the Military and the Middle East. Besides, these other issues affect us at home directly whereas our Military (and its obnoxious size) is one of the reasons why we have so many foreign allies at this time. And come 2012, I'd much rather keep the man we have in charge so that we could at least be ensured another 4 years for someone who may be able to address the situation objectively. That's all I'm saying. Patience is still a virtue, especially in the game that is Politics.

cruztbone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Obama is no war monger sinwin. You mistake him to be a bush. He is not. He inherited the iraq and afghanistan conflicts. He is pulling out our troops in both; most of them have left iraq, the pullout from afghanistan starts friday. Those are the facts. They are indisputable. Your silly rants are not worthy of comment.

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Obama is no war monger sinwin. You mistake him to be a bush. He is not. He inherited the iraq and afghanistan conflicts. He is pulling out our troops in both; most of them have left iraq, the pullout from afghanistan starts friday. Those are the facts. They are indisputable. Your silly rants are not worthy of comment.

Um, what? Pulling out less than was put in just during his presidency is not a pullout. Last time I checked we had over 40,000 troops left in Iraq.

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

The Obama apologists are in full spin mode right now...

Just like during Bush, conservative cruztbone types were everywhere. Its weird to be outside the propaganda circles.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Um, what? Pulling out less than was put in just during his presidency is not a pullout.

It's still a pullout... just not the one you were expecting (or will accept) because you're driven by a desire to see the wars to come to a complete end.

Last time I checked we had over 40,000 troops left in Iraq.

Compared to the 148,000 American troops that were initially sent there in 2003. The announcement to withdraw was made last year. You can't honestly expect them all to just drop their things and walk out? This has nothing to do with being an "apologist" like it's been suggested by some blinded ideologues. These are the facts, whether we like them or not.

D_Davy_Downspout

Account Disabled
Media
Actually, watching people try to detract the thread from Afghanistan to focus on other places such as Congo, Sudan, Libya and other non-related issues is the problem. Why try to continually change the subject of threads so you can grandstand and banter about your own sub-related issues, when you can start your own threads about them and perhaps people may respond?

You missed the point quite impressively.

And yet there we are in Yemen and Libya, and he was arguing for an increase in Afghanistan before he was pulling some of them out.

The MIC continues to churn. If your bar is so low that any pullout makes him anti war, I don't know what to tell you.

D_Davy_Downspout

Account Disabled
Media
It's still a pullout... just not the one you were expecting (or will accept) because you're driven by a desire to see the wars to come to a complete end.

Compared to the 148,000 American troops that were initially sent there in 2003. The announcement to withdraw was made last year. You can't honestly expect them all to just drop their things and walk out? This has nothing to do with being an "apologist" like it's been suggested by some blinded ideologues. These are the facts, whether we like them or not.

Yes, they can easily pull out tomorrow. Or at least 90% in short order and the rest quickly after.

With our infrastructure crumbling, the economy shit, we can definitely abandon our little imperialist adventures.

Of course you don't think we can drop everything. But Obama isn't even talking about pulling everyone out, just a few, and that's specifically designed to make people like you say "look at the progress!" and apologize for him not getting out completely.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You missed the point quite impressively.

No, sinwin. As being one of the few one-trick pony "progressives" that I constantly find myself at words with (considering all of the times you've foolishly attacked me for not being as "liberal" as you), I already knew way before I made my response what your "point" was. America didn't involve themselves in Sudan and Congo even though there was major conflict, civil war and in some cases genocide going on there. However, we involved ourselves with affairs in the Middle East because there was "something to gain" in the form of oil. Hence you express a form of hypocrisy as to how our government conduct itself in its foreign affairs and whom we decide to go to war with, and constantly chastise people who try to come up with any form of logical reasoning or more informed answer as to why our current government is doing the things they decide to. This is just one of the several arguments you have repeated ad nauseam on this board since the Obama Administration began. And instead of making your own threads about them, you wait for someone to talk about a specific war (this one being Afghanistan) then jump in with all of your usual brash comments.

Alas, Sudan & Congo, Libya and Yemen are not the subject matter. This thread is supposed to be about Afghanistan, which is why I made my response.

The MIC continues to churn. If your bar is so low that any pullout makes him anti war, I don't know what to tell you.

I never said, mentioned or implied anything about Obama being "anti-war". In fact, this post is the very first time I ever typed these two words in this thread. Again, you're trying to put words in my mouth. You do this quite frequently around here, which is why I don't really care to have any form of discussion with you. Seriously, it's like sometimes you try to make me the figurine of Obama, place all of your issues upon me and then go completely nuts.

And BTW, since this thread was about Afghanistan but you (and some others) are adamant in throwing in several other countries to further derail and confuse the issue, you'll have to be more specific about which country we're "pulling out" of. Is it Iraq, where we now have less than 50% of the initial troops that started there in 2003, or is it Afghanistan where a timetable was just unveiled? Perhaps the pullout isn't happening as fast as you'd like it. Just say it and leave it at that. It's a shame that we can share a common political interest, yet we be constantly at each other's throats since I see the glass half full and you see it half empty.

Last edited:

D_Davy_Downspout

Account Disabled
Media
My issue with you is that you basically parrot whatever the administration is saying regarding anything. It's boring, and intellectually lazy.

You almost never express any frustration with Obama, that I have seen, or any goals loftier than the minimal ones he sets and then fails to meet. You end up looking like an apologist, because there seems like no Obama move that you won't be able to support as "the way things have to be".

We don't have to be at each other's throats, but anyone who disagrees with you in all but the most mild of tones ends up getting some complaint about their general style and a huge paragraph bitching about them.

Stop taking political disagreements so personally and maybe make your arguments more succinct?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My issue with you is that you basically parrot whatever the administration is saying regarding anything. It's boring, and intellectually lazy.

You almost never express any frustration with Obama, that I have seen, or any goals loftier than the minimal ones he sets and then fails to meet. You end up looking like an apologist, because there seems like no Obama move that you won't be able to support as "the way things have to be".

We don't have to be at each other's throats, but anyone who disagrees with you in all but the most mild of tones ends up getting some complaint about their general style and a huge paragraph bitching about them.

Stop taking political disagreements so personally and maybe make your arguments more succinct?

You've just proven that you don't really read a thing that I say. Your prejudices as to whom I'm supposed to be (since I don't critique Obama as viciously as you do) prevent you from seeing where many of my thoughts truly lie. The sad thing is, I tend to agree with people like you and TomCat84 (who I just recently placed on ignore). However, you assume such a pompous stance of ideological superiority that you view anyone who tries to generate more objective responses as being "soft" or an "apologist". Even if you wind up with ideologies that I side with, your actions and demeanor on this board is no better than the people on the ideological right that you find grievances with. Also, you need to come to grips that nobody has to be as bitter, angry or "disappointed" as you in the current administration and be willing to only talk about the same tired talking points about the wars, Gitmo and a few tax & financial policies in order to have something to say. Ultimately, I don't have to win your approval or your support. But if you want my respect you'll tone your own rhetoric down a bit when addressing me.

As for taking things personally? Perhaps if people like you didn't try to get personal I wouldn't feel the need to strike right back. We can have discussions without the name calling or the implications of intellectual inferiority, but you can't do that. Beyond this, when everyone is ready to toss around the usual, played to death, politically charged verbiage at one another it's proof that all you want to do is talk shit. But let me clue you in as to why I get offended when people like you and TomCat84 call me an apologist:

As I stated in previous threads, I was a kid that lived in the city and was bussed to the suburbs where I was frequently the only black kid in the class among a bunch of caucasians. Every time I went to school I found myself speaking up for my black friends who were not as lucky as I was to receive a better education. Then when I would go home and I would have to speak up for my white friends against everyone at home who thought I was "too good" to hang around my own kind.

"You think you're special because you go to school here?"
"You think you're special because you go to a school over there?"
"You think you're good as us?"
"You think you're better than us?"
"Why can't black people be more like you?"
"Why do you hang out with those white boys all the time?"
... etc, etc, muthaf*ckin' etc. :rolleyes:

Essentially, I was able to figure out the bullshit that existed on both extreme sides and I felt it necessary to tell the uninformed that it wasn't nearly as bad and evil as they envisioned. The same pathetic nonsense happens on LPSG on a political level. You have the hardcore right wingers all thinking I'm a "blind Liberal", meanwhile people like you who claim to be the "real Liberals" think I'm too soft. After a while and after so many years, the game gets tired and I'm simply not putting up with the nonsense anymore. Not from you or anyone else.

This has nothing to do about not having a thick skin, because if I didn't I wouldn't still frequent the Politics section. This is all about standing up for what I believe and for my own individuality, REGARDLESS of whatever anyone else says. If you don't like what I have to say, then you know how to use the ignore button. Otherwise, keep on using ignorant titles like "apologist" and any other bullshit, character degrading term you can invent in your bitter mind to take shots at me and see where that gets you. Now can we talk about Afghanistan or do I need to add you to my growing list?

Last edited:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

:You_Rock_Emoticon: