Obama Sets Another Precedent

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Principessa, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Along with a few million others, I'm on President-Elect Barack Obama's campaign e-mail list. :smile: I admit since the election I tend to delete the e-mails before reading them but this one caught my eye and I read it.

I wondered what they were going to do with all that extra campaign money that was raised. Turns out it is going to fund his inaugural ball. I think that's pretty damned cool. :cool: Especially since a few weeks ago his detractors were saying he shouldn't even have an inaugural ball due to the economy being in such poor condition.

Barack Obama will be sworn in as President of the United States of America on January 20th, 2009.

It will be an unprecedented event in the history of our country, and hundreds of thousands of people will come together in Washington, D.C. to share the moment.

Supporters like you made this happen. You know that real change comes from the bottom up, not from the top down, and Barack and Joe want you to join them on this historic day. They want to start off this administration with the people who worked so hard and will continue to fight for change with them.

Between now and January 8th, 10 supporters and their guests will be selected to join the Inaugural activities.

If you make a donation -- in any amount -- to make the Inauguration a success, you and a guest could be flown to Washington, D.C., put up in a hotel, and be there as Barack is sworn in as the 44th President.

Make a donation of $5 or more right now. You and a guest could receive your ticket to history.

Unlike past inaugurations, this year's event will not be paid for by Washington lobbyists or corporations.

This campaign was funded by 4 million ordinary people giving only what they could afford, and Barack and Joe are counting on you again. Help start this administration off right -- independent of the special interest donors who have shaped Washington for too long.

This Inauguration will be open to as many Americans as possible. We'll all come together to celebrate the hope and optimism that define this movement for change.

But you could be one of 10 selected to join us in Washington for all Inaugural events. Any donation you make between now and January 8th counts -- whatever you can afford.

Show your support for a different kind of politics and a different kind of inauguration with a donation of $5 or more today:

The Inauguration will be a once-in-a-lifetime event. I hope you can join us.

Thank you,

David

David Plouffe
    Campaign Manager
    Obama for America

P.S. -- If you cannot make a donation, you and a guest could still be selected to receive your ticket to history. Learn more here.

Paid for by Obama for America
    [​IMG]

2. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Skip the balls, let the people keep the money or donate to a charity and get down to work. I can see having a party, but isn't all the hoopla and multiple glittering balls, a little OTC in these times?

3. Principessa

Gold Member

That was the general consensus of those against the balls. :mad: However as a black American I have to say it just figures people would want to do away with a time honored tradition just because we have a black President. I know you aren't thinking about race Vince; but others in the media were.

As far as I know the multiple balls are paid for by different organizations and the attendees. Inauguration: Where the Parties Are

Not for nothing, but the sad state of the economy is not Obama's fault though it will soon be his responsibility.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Member

Albums:
    Holy fuck, that's hilarious.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

I can't believe my alma mater is having a cash bar at $100 a head! :yikes: For a C-note I expect an open bar. :irked:

Hmm, Georgia has an open bar but it's $200 per person. after perusing the list $200 seems to be the minimum to get a cash bar.

Apparently every state does it's own inaugural ball to celebrate. :eek: I knew there were at least a dozen but I had no idea there were that many in addition to the many political interest and corporate groups which have balls.

6. D_Rod Staffinbone

D_Rod Staffinbone Account Disabled

great. some of the money i gave will be feeding rick warren's fat ass
    while he laughs it up. i hope they have fun.

7. D_Rod Staffinbone

D_Rod Staffinbone Account Disabled

:mad: i just hope it's not going to be business as usual in d.c.. time will tell.

#7 D_Rod Staffinbone, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  8. str8up8x6

str8up8x6 New Member

Albums:
    Of course it's an unprecedented event, it hasn't happened before. All new presidents have an unprecedented inaugural. As to asking for more donations it doesn't surprise me. Once a politician finds the tit he doesn't let go, he just keeps sucking.

#8 str8up8x6, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  9. cutedorkwho

cutedorkwho Member

Albums:
    A glitzy ball does seem a bit OTC in these rough economic times. Donate to charity, give it back to the people in some way but there's got to be a better way than to spend it on THIS.

And don't even THINK about bringing race/ethnicity into this. There's no connection, don't try to insinuate there is one. We voted him in afterall, didn't we?

10. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

We should start calling him the Precedent Elect

11. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree with cutedork and call bullshit on you NJQT. Unless you can provide some evidence to back up that claim.

12. Notaguru2

Gold Member

I have to admit though, after giving to his campaign as much as I did... I'd like a ceasefire from his transition team asking for money everyday. I can always count on more email from Barack. I fight off the urge to mark it as spam everyday. I'm afraid if I designate it as spam, I'll miss something really important though.

I beg Barack.... ENOUGH! (I say that with the most respect)

13. Notaguru2

Gold Member

Ohhhh.. that was good. I almost missed it.

14. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

Sorry. I loves me my Obama, but 'could' is the operative word here.

I don't play the lottery either.

Draft saved Draft deleted