Obama takes Oath 2nd Time - No Bible

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Pitbull, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Pitbull

Gold Member

Obama Sworn In Again, With Right Words

I find it interesting that when taking the oath for the second time no Bible was used. For all the symbolism (Lincoln Bible) and image control that there has been thus far, I would think this is deliberate for some reason.

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Obama "officially" became PRESIDENT at 12 noon on 1/20 whether he sid the oath or not......my hunch is he re-took the oath to silence the right wingnuts from saying he wasn't pres because Roberts botched the oath.

3. dong20

Gold Member

This isn't directed at you, but perhaps it's to assuage paranoid conspiracists who would try to use it against him, or simply to occupy the vacant space that evidently fills the heads of those who have nothing better to concern themselves with?

For the record, Presidents Coolidge and Arthur were also sworn in a 'second' time in private, for similar reasons.

4. Gl3nn

Gold Member

Idk...seperation of Church and State... you know...the way it should be?

5. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well obviously it wasn't enough to do that.
    (silence the wingnuts that is)

6. D_Rod Staffinbone

D_Rod Staffinbone Account Disabled

3 previous presidents have been sworn in with no bible. rutherford hayes, chester arthur, and theodore roosevelt. a couple of other presidents have repeated the swearing in oath
    in private. obama may be a little anal/paranoid but doesn't want there to be any lingering doubt about the fumbling of words at the original swearing in. legal scholars say he would be president regardless of the exact words spoken. the lincoln bible may have already been returned to the national archives by that point and obama probably didn't want to have "the other bible" (had they used one) become the "obama bible". who knows? maybe there wasn't a bible available in the white house, or was still in a box to be unpacked.
    does it really matter? religion was all over the place at the actual inauguration (for
    a country that prides itself on the separation of church and state).

#6 D_Rod Staffinbone, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  7. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:

Bingo.

And FYI, there is no Constitutional mandate that the oath be sworn on a bible or any other mythological text.

Oh, and I am Jack's utter lack of surprise at seeing this non-issue posted by one of the usual suspects.
    :rolleyes:

8. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

boy, is my face red!:redface:

9. Whopper-lee

Gold Member

Albums:

:eek:= OOOOOOOOOOOh you noticed that too!
    Nor was his wife standing beside him or any other people I could see in the room...but I'm sure some other cabniet members was there????
    I did here they could not handle Linclon's Bible much and had to get it back into storage quickly...
    I bet it got frost bites & frozen from that outside cold weather it was in...makes a lot of since with so much value placed on it hummmm
    Well let's just say the 2nd oath go around was a double smash hit re-run for the history books.
    It has only happen 2 times in history to presidents: Chester A. Arthur & Calvin Coolidge.
    Interesting observation...prehaps President Obama was smart enough to request it be done over correctly for the records:wink: we'll never know right away will we?

#9 Whopper-lee, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  10. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Where did your post go? It was there two minutes ago. :confused:

11. agnslz

Gold Member

I think this "do-over" of the oath of office was a big mistake. I think it's going to embolden rather than silence the right-wing detractors and kooks.

Just this morning I saw people saying that the orders President Obama signed shortly after he was sworn in the first time could possibly be challenged.

And even if those challenges aren't successful you know there will be an element who will protest from now on that Obama really doesn't have any power as president since they fucked it up the first time.

Also, Bill Sammon was on Fox News this morning complaining that the second swearing-in wasn't done fully out in the open with cameras rolling and the full press corps present.

I think because of that and since apparently no bible was used this second time weirdos everywhere will find reason to say that President Obama has never been correctly sworn in.

I can even imagine some crackpot claiming that it wasn't really Obama and Roberts heard in the audio recording of the event.:eek:

But, I will say this is no different than having to deal with these same kind of people claiming 9/11 was an inside job.

12. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

OMG!

Obama's secret police force is on the job already!

:eek: :paranoid:

:theyareontome:

13. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

Technically he didn't have to use a bible at all. Likewise he doesnt constitutionally have to say "so help me god" but he chose to do so.

14. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Do we pride ourselves on the separation of church and state?
    I mean, on paper, sure. In practice, no. :(

The demagogue one? Perhaps, for a moment, he thought the discussion was about Bush? :confused:

15. JustAsking

Gold Member

I think Obama knows that you can't run a country while pandering to every wingnut conspiracist out there or any given journalist with air time to fill.

Obama was prudent to simply satisfy the basic requirement whether it was necessary or not. I am sure it was not done to satisfy every wingnut out there.

Don't forget, that each administration sets its own backdrop and tone against which public discourse takes place. The Bush administration pandered to its far right base, and therefore set the tone where the 'right wing detractors and kooks' had a bully pulpit. Against the Bush backdrop, such complaints seemed important and reasonable.

The Obama administration is already setting the tone that we have tough problems to solve, that we are fully grown adults, and that only through bi-partisan problem solving will we get through them. Against that backdrop, the kooks will simply look like what they are, which are kooks.

16. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, that one. It was a classic.

17. agnslz

Gold Member

Yes, but the no-bible part plays into the line that Obama isn't really a Christian.

Since he wanted to get the oath exactly right this time why wouldn't he use a bible? Unless he isn't really Christian... :rolleyes:

18. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Doesn't appear that you have a clue on what is meant by sep. of Church/State.

It DOES NOT mean that you can't have "church" within "state"... i.e. a bible at a swearing in, or the words "In God We Trust" in/on gov't buildings.

19. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

Kooks will be kooks. They don't need a reason; they'll find one or make one up.

20. D_Czarova Zucchini

D_Czarova Zucchini New Member

Not even a Quran!?!?!

Shucks!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted