Obama takes Oath 2nd Time - No Bible

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, but the no-bible part plays into the line that Obama isn't really a Christian.

Since he wanted to get the oath exactly right this time why wouldn't he use a bible? Unless he isn't really Christian... :rolleyes:
As if it matters, but I have already received an e-mail about it.
Family. :rolleyes:

Not even a Quran!?!?!

Shucks!!!

لووووووووول
مر ح

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Obama "officially" became PRESIDENT at 12 noon on 1/20 whether he sid the oath or not......my hunch is he re-took the oath to silence the right wingnuts from saying he wasn't pres because Roberts botched the oath.
Yup, that's exactly what I was thinking as well. :yup:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I wonder if Coolidge or Arthur would have suffered this malarky, or have IQs simply declined markedly since their day?

I wonder what's next ... a motion for impeachment on the grounds of incompetence - for being unable to handle stressful situations - as evidenced by repeating a sentence only 97.2% correctly? Well, his predecesssor had both incompetence and linguistic homicide comprehensively nailed, he got re-elected.

And people are surprised how the US has found itself in the state it has.:cool:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wonder if Coolidge or Arthur would have suffered this malarky, or have IQs simply declined markedly since their day?
Well, the first option is plainly not the case. . . .
I wonder what's next ... a motion for impeachment on the grounds of incompetence - for being unable to handle stressful situations - as evidenced by repeating a sentence only 97.2% correctly?
Actually, the trouble arose because he did correctly repeat what Roberts said the first time. Roberts bungled the line, stammered, and finally got it right, but Obama followed his first version rather than his last one. Here is an exact transcription, with bold type on the bits that were wrong or got corrected (made from one of the videos on YouTube):
JR: I, Barack Hussein Obama --

OB: I, Barack --

JR [cross-talk]: -- do solemnly swear . . .

OB: I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear . . .

JR: that I will execute the office of President to the United States faithfully . . .

OB: that I will execute -- [stops and nods to JR, presumably to give him a chance to correct himself]

JR: the off -- faithfully the pres -- faithfully execute the office of President of the United States . . .

OB: the office of President of the United States faithfully . . .

JR: and will, to the best of my ability, . . .

OB: and will, to the best of my ability, . . .

JR: preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.

OB: preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.

JR: So help you God?

OB: So help me God.​

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Seems some have misconstrued my original post.

I am aware that 2 other presidents have retaken the oath so they use the words specified in the constitution and that there is no question that the oath was administered and taken properly.

I am aware that on 12 noon Jan 20, 2009 Barack Obama became the president of the United States even though he did not take the oath until about 12:05 PM and that even with the "flub" he was president.

I am aware that the do over is because of an exercise of an "abundance of caution" to make sure the oath is administered exactly as it appears in the Constitution.

Most of this was in the article I linked to.

I was also aware that using the Bible is not required and I thank those who pointed that out since that may not have been clear to everyone reading this thread.

My point is that the second time he did not use the Bible.
Why?
There is a reason.
Any intelligent thoughts as to what it was?

If separation of church and state were the reason, he should not have used a Bible.
(Separation of church and state is much different in the constitution than what is put forth as many today.
Article 3 of the Bill of Rights
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof")

The unavailability of a Bible should not even be mentioned as a possible reason.
The man is the President of the United States and cannot get a Bible?
He could have the "Lincoln Bible" in less than 1/2 hour if he requested it.
I am not sure if it is in the Library of Congress or Smithsonian but both are within a 10 minute drive of the White House.

There are numerous bookstores in the area, hotels with hundreds of Bibles in the rooms provided by the Gideon Society, and dozens of Churches - all of which have a least one Bible.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I know it's a bit off topic but could someone tell me why you have the election for president some time in November, yet he didn't take up 'office' until the 20th January??

That's the design of our government as written in our Constitution.

Despite the examples set during the past eight years, we actually strive to do things according the rule of law.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Lincoln Bible is most likely at the Smithsonian. My guess as an art historian is that the curator in charge is a stickler for conservation and did not want the Lincoln bible being handled again unnecessarily.

While it is true that there were other bibles available I think the point was to do this expeditiously so he could get to work.:cool:

Seems some have misconstrued my original post.

I am aware that 2 other presidents have retaken the oath so they use the words specified in the constitution and that there is no question that the oath was administered and taken properly.

I am aware that on 12 noon Jan 20, 2009 Barack Obama became the president of the United States even though he did not take the oath until about 12:05 PM and that even with the "flub" he was president.

I am aware that the do over is because of an exercise of an "abundance of caution" to make sure the oath is administered exactly as it appears in the Constitution.

Most of this was in the article I linked to.

I was also aware that using the Bible is not required and I thank those who pointed that out since that may not have been clear to everyone reading this thread.

My point is that the second time he did not use the Bible.
Why?
There is a reason.
Any intelligent thoughts as to what it was?

If separation of church and state were the reason, he should not have used a Bible.
(Separation of church and state is much different in the constitution than what is put forth as many today.
Article 3 of the Bill of Rights
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof")

The unavailability of a Bible should not even be mentioned as a possible reason.
The man is the President of the United States and cannot get a Bible?
He could have the "Lincoln Bible" in less than 1/2 hour if he requested it.
I am not sure if it is in the Library of Congress or Smithsonian but both are within a 10 minute drive of the White House.

There are numerous bookstores in the area, hotels with hundreds of Bibles in the rooms provided by the Gideon Society, and dozens of Churches - all of which have a least one Bible.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Actually, the trouble arose because he did correctly repeat what Roberts said the first time. Roberts bungled the line, stammered, and finally got it right, but Obama followed his first version rather than his last one.

I'm perfectly well aware of what happened which was by any sensible interpretation - nothing, not least because what he did say didn't alter the meaning away from what he 'should' have said. From what I have read, that seems to reflect the prevailing legal wisdom, if such isn't a contradiction in terms these days.

My post was really just expressing bemusement at the bizzare overreaction and (in some) a perceived 'sinister' connotation relating to the lack of a Bible in 'Take II'. As I understand it, the 'faith' in 'faithfully' isn't intended to be of the divine sort, and he could have been sworn in over a copy of the Wizard of Oz, the Qur'an (a nod to Nick4444) or as in this case, nothing at all.

If one has a cursory scan of blogsville (sadly, I spent a couple of minutes doing so) it's replete with the kind of nonsense more usually associated with firebrands and pitchforks. If this is any indication of the depths to which some people would stoop in order to discredit Obama, it really is very sad.

Something tells me that this may shadow his Presidency for some time - to be regurgitated every time something doesn't go 100% according to his (or their) wishes or predictions. I also expect some here to use it as a crutch to support allegations that he isn't 'really' the President anyway, they know who they are.

It's probably already being called [Obama]fluff-gate but if some had their way I'm sure it would become a version of Kumaratunga-gate. I can easily imagine before long some will say it was a deliberate conspiracy to cast doubt on the validity of the Presidency.

Sadly, even the British press couldn't help themselves yesterday. Today they had moved on, only not really.

Is Barack Obama really President of the United States? - Times Online

Barack Obama sworn in again, but without a Bible - Times Online

I read the line "Expect a third oath when bitter small town gun- and Bible-toting America finds out." with a wry smile considering its source.

*** shakes head ***

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The President said the oath correctly the first time, that is all that is constitutionally required. That the chief Justice stumbled twice is irrelevant, he does not have to say anything, he is a witness. In early inaugurations the president simply said the oath, it has been elaborated by custom.

And, as people have pointed out, he automatically became President at noon EST, while we were listening to Simple Gifts being performed.

Just as Queen Elizabeth automatically and immediately became queen, while she was asleep in a tree house in Kenya, on the death of her father. It did not require any action by any one.

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Lincoln Bible is most likely at the Smithsonian. My guess as an art historian is that the curator in charge is a stickler for conservation and did not want the Lincoln bible being handled again unnecessarily.
OK, I'll grant you that.

While it is true that there were other bibles available I think the point was to do this expeditiously so he could get to work.:cool:

Give me a break.
I don't buy that for one second and you shouldn't either!
The man is THE PRESIDENT!

He tells someone, "I will need a Bible for taking the oath of office tonight. Make it a nice one with leather binding - No paperback."
IT IS DONE!
The man is THE PRESIDENT! (If you have any doubt read the signature at the bottom of your posts)

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Obama Sworn In Again, With Right Words

I find it interesting that when taking the oath for the second time no Bible was used. For all the symbolism (Lincoln Bible) and image control that there has been thus far, I would think this is deliberate for some reason.

Oh. My. God.

The reason is clear: So that "all the poisons that lurk in the mud hatch out."

Obama was game enough not to embarrass Roberts the first time he screwed up. No need to embarrass him the second time either.

Do you disagree? Do you think we should embarrass Roberts? Throw him off the bench?

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oh. My. God.

The reason is clear: So that "all the poisons that lurk in the mud hatch out."

Obama was game enough not to embarrass Roberts the first time he screwed up. No need to embarrass him the second time either.

Do you disagree? Do you think we should embarrass Roberts? Throw him off the bench?

It is such a relief to have someone with tact representing the country for a change.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay