Obama tanning tax: racial profiling?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_starinvestor, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Health-Care Changes to Start Taking Effect This Year (Correct) - Bloomberg

Health care bill imposes 10% tax on tanning salon customers - Mar. 24, 2010

Obama is taxing indoor services at tanning salons at 10%.

In the second linked article, a tanning patron indicates that she needs tanning sessions in order to sustain certain levels of vitamin D.

Also, spray tans have no adverse effects on skin health.

As devil's advocate, it would be fair to say that if the situation were reversed, the NAACP would condemn this tax as racist - as a substantial majority of those that utilize tanning services are white.

Of course, to date I have yet to see any 'white' groups raising holy hell at this tax that is clearly affecting 99.9% whites and 0.1% non-whites.

Nevermind that 9,000 jobs are now in jeopardy and 1,000 salons are at risk of closing their doors.

Pondering the inevitable....isn't it clear that this is a 'white' tax? Seems to be so.

That said, I don't tan and don't plan to ever tan. However, I am aware that it is (was) a thriving industry which provided a tremendous amount of jobs, etc.

2. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    You do realize that when you post stuff like this, EVERYONE can see it, and it's on the www for all time, right?

3. B_starinvestor

Hopefully, yes.

There are constant cries of racism directed at the Tea Party, conservatives, the republican party, Sarah Palin, etc etc etc in this forum.

When a tax is directed 99.9% at one ethnic group, it bears discussion at the least.

4. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    It is a tax on a practice PROVEN to have detrimental effects on one's health to help pay for health care reform. YOU are the one who injected race into the mix. One can get enough Vitamin D through being exposed to the natural sun for @ 10 minutes, or you can also drink a glass of milk. There are absolutely NO health benefits to using a tanning bed.

5. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

Based on what I have been able to find out on this, the tax is exclusively related to the usage of high strength UV tanning equipment. It is not related to chemical or "dye" tans that I can find.

The highest risk for skin cancer is brought about by specific type of UV exposure. Though there are some tanning bed manufacturers that claim safety, the FDA has yet to prove this to be the case.

As one who has a family history of skin cancer that is extensive and has seen the cost of this both cosmetically and financially, I can see the logic in this just as I can see the logic in outrageous taxation of tobacco products also proven to be carcinogenic through legitimate independent medical research.

Based on what the Office of the President actually does, the OP is giving that office way too much credit when it comes to this kind of proposal. The OP seems to think that the Executive Branch of Government drafts and authors legislation.

The only thing that the Executive Branch has the power to do is to sign it in to law or deny the entire piece of legislation. Since the President does not have the power of "Line Item Veto" there is little doubt as to how this went through.

6. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

One question for you, star...
    You think the only people who tan or sunbathe are white?! If so, then you are forever disqualified for talking about racial subjects for the rest of your natural caucasian life.

Of all the horrible threads you have started, this is one of the absolute worst.

7. Stretch

Stretch New Member

:frown1: I was so hoping the op would just sit here alone, like a tumbleweed, drifting through a ghost town of a thread. How great would it have been if there were 0 replies to this tripe but alas...I see a couple of people just couldn't help it and had to stop off and comment on the vapidity and the desolation. Fair enough. This latest attempt to instigate just for the sake of perpetuating some lame agenda was poor even by his usual feeble standards.

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

In some ways, it does need addressing. It isn't the flame baited tripe that faceking tried with his extremely insulting thread about Michelle Obama and the NAACP last night, however, it is a indicator that the so-called race card that many Republican opposers blamed Democrats for playing in the past is starting to be used by the very people who pretended to be above it all.

It also has the potential to go beyond the obvious racial nonsense and make the argument what it really is... a conflict between financial and social classes. Maybe now we'll start to see who really does understand the plights of the poor & middle class in this country?

9. sargon20

Gold Member

How about a thread 'StarInvestor, FaceKing....race baiters?' would be more appropriate.

10. Stretch

Stretch New Member

I agree with you 100% Vinyl. I have to believe, or hope, that even the op knew that his post had absolutely no merit and it was just an extremely lame attempt to garner reaction. As feeble and mostly harmless as it is here though, I'm afraid it is an example of what we can expect from his like, escalating over the next months and years, out of desperation. It is going to get very ugly it seems, well, even more so then it is now. You're right...all we can do is try to steer the discussions toward, and keep the focus on, the real issues.

11. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

It would be so easy to do that, however wouldn't such a thing be against the TOS?

12. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
  13. B_starinvestor

No - I know that non-whites also sunbathe. However, I have never seen a non-white in a tanning bed.

Again, tanning bed.

14. B_starinvestor

A lame agenda? Simply because you don't agree with anything that isn't blatantly liberal in posture.

This is a bullshit tax. "Services offered in tanning salons" - Give me a break, spray tans are not harmful.

15. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

there is no tanning tax if gym has tanning beds so just get a gym membership that has tanning.

16. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

And of course, since you've never seen one that means it doesn't exist, right? Just to put it out there, I know at least three Latino females who use tanning beds. They're one of those "lighter" Latinos, and not the ones that sneak over the border like in Arizona. I know that's the image engraved on your bigoted brain here, but not all people of Latin descent are dark brown. :rolleyes:

Again, you've been disqualified from discussions regarding race for starting such a ridiculous thread. To think I used to consider you one of the intelligent ones even though we would vehemently disagree on many subject matters. This is just beyond stupid.

#16 B_VinylBoy, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  17. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Spray tans look horrendous anyway. The tax should be 50% on spray tans, not just 10%

18. B_starinvestor

"Lighter-skinned Latinos"

Fine, the tax affects lighter-skinned latinos and white people. Still a pretty narrow contingency I believe most people would say.

In any case, the people that end up getting hurt are the salon owners.

Why aren't we taxing foods high in cholesterol or deep fried fat?

Tax butter.
    Tax foods high in sodium.
    Tax cheese.

19. Stretch

Stretch New Member

Thank you Vinyl...that was my point from the get go. This thread, once again, doesn't encourage nor merit any constructive debate.

20. dubaiye

dubaiye New Member

I am good-looking asian guy living and working in Dubai,looking for big-cock Arabians or blacks(or the two mixed) who are also in Dubai,so we can make friends and see each other.......contact me at:yeleafs2002@yahoo.com if interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.