Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
The incoming White House spokesperson says the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy's days are numbered. Click here to read more.

Interesting that this is the first Obama policy that will have something to do specifically with gays and lesbians. Is is that he and his people are smart students of history? After all, when military racial barriers came down in World War II, that was the trigger for many following racial and cultural changes ... school integration, the ending of laws preventing blacks and whites from marrying, new voting laws, and the power that black people felt to challenge the ways things had always been done ... from Rosa Parks to Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., to ... President-Elect Barack Obama.

Will this be the reason to legalize same-sex marriages? You can hear the reasoning ... "Gays and lesbians fight courageously and sacrifice their lives for our country ... why shouldn't they be allowed to marry?"

Also ... you have to wonder if this will help military enrollments. The Bush administration has pushed the USA's military forces to ... and sometimes past ... the limit, with how we're stretched so thin in Iraq and Afghanistan. Plus, they're having real trouble finding enough people to enlist these days.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
THe yahoo article showed a fierce opposition to Pro-War supporters saying that over 50% of voulenteer enlistments would Drop out.

Drop Out?? Hmm... that seems bogus to me.

When you sign your name on the dotted line in the military, aren't you just another piece of disposable meat? And "Quitting" the military, last time I checked led to Imprisonment. Doesn't A.W.O.L. apply anymore?

If so...then yet again, they're just feeding the public Hokey in an attempt to sway opinions.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think this is a great step forward - the whole don't ask, don't tell policy is/was a shambles and is not a sign of the times anymore. I think advancement is what is needed and this is a great step in right direction. Good for Obama.

In relation to the person saying Obama is anti gay marriage -- you are both wrong and right. He is against "gay marriage" and the use of the word marriage between two people of the same sex and wants to disentangle the word from gay rights. He fully supports civil unions and gay equality.

His stance on gay rights can be read here.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
THe yahoo article showed a fierce opposition to Pro-War supporters saying that over 50% of voulenteer enlistments would Drop out.

Drop Out?? Hmm... that seems bogus to me.

When you sign your name on the dotted line in the military, aren't you just another piece of disposable meat? And "Quitting" the military, last time I checked led to Imprisonment. Doesn't A.W.O.L. apply anymore?

If so...then yet again, they're just feeding the public Hokey in an attempt to sway opinions.

I say, let them drop out. And make sure they receive a dishonorable discharge in the process. That will make room for more open minded, level headed people who really knwo what it means to work together.

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
r 50% of volunteers enlistments would Drop out................. yeah right they're scraping the bottom of the barrel now to make their numbers, that's just something somebody made up for a better story.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
By the way.

Regarding faceking's nonsensical comment about "do ask, do tell".

Straight soldiers frequently do ask and do tell each other about their private lives & sexuality... their girlfriends, their wives, their one-night-stands.

All that is being asked for gay soldiers is nothing special -- just equal treatment. The gay guy can now "tell" when someone asks about his significant other... just like straights heve been doing all along. What's the fuss all about? It's a common-sensical policy to stop gay soldiers from being discharged just because they admit their sexuality.

No cracks about soldiers in that barracks and discharge please.