Obama to nominate a new Supreme Court justice "soon"?

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Found this on the ABC News website:

--------------------

Ginsburg: Supreme Court Opening Coming 'Soon'

Ginsburg Says Court Opening Possible But Doesn't Give Specifics

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg told law students there could be an opening on the Supreme Court soon but didn't hint at who might be leaving. Ginsburg spoke Friday at New England Law's annual "Law Day."

In a question-and-answer session, she said the nine justices only take pictures together when a new member is added. She said: "We haven't had any of those for some time, but surely we will soon."

--------------------

Justice Ginsburg is 75-years-old, had surgery last month for pancreatic cancer. You'd better sing your praises to the Sun God -or the judeo-christian skygod - or Krishna - or whichever diety it is you pray to that McCain was not elected in November. He surely would have altered the dynamics of the currently center-left Court by shifting the balance, with a single conservative confirmation....

Interesting side note: who'd have thunk it?

Amazing, but true. Conservative Justice Antonin Scalia considers ultra-liberal Ginsburg his "best friend" both on and off the Court. He revealed his closeness to her during an appearance on the "Laura Ingraham Show":

“I consider myself a good friend of every one of my colleagues, both past and present,” Scalia told Laura. “Some more than others. My best friend on the Court is and has been for many years, Ruth Ginsburg. Her basic approach is not mine, but she’s a lovely person and a good loyal friend.”

To see more of this friendship, and the differences in Ginsburg's & Scalia's approaches to the U.S. Constitution, watch this "60 Minutes" clip (or ff to 6:30 where Ginsburg enters. She's a perfectly charming woman; and - taking a leap into the abyss here - he's sort of gracious and compelling himself)

YouTube - Antonin Scalia - 60 Minutes pt 1 of 4

Last edited:

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
it's not enough he gets to further wreck the economy, and weaken the national security, now he gets to screw up the Supreme Court ...

"I'm so terribly frightened."

BTW, just about all my best buds are libtards, not just libtards, but flaming libtards -- nothing surprising there

I suggest Bill Clinton. How many disbarred lawyers get to be a Justice?

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
God will it be fun to watch the fundies if and when Obama appoints a new justice. The pissing and moaning will be deafening. A black lesbian would be perfect.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I suggest Bill Clinton. How many disbarred lawyers get to be a Justice?

From your lips to God's ears! :biggrin1: You just know he'd be going commando under his robes :lmao: I'd love to see that happen just so Rush Limbaugh, Newt Gingrich, and Ann Coulter could stroke out while having their televised, conservative, conniption fit.:cool::biggrin1:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
From your lips to God's ears! :biggrin1: You just know he'd be going commando under his robes :lmao: I'd love to see that happen just so Rush Limbaugh, Newt Gingrich, and Ann Coulter could stroke out while having their televised, conservative, conniption fit.:cool::biggrin1:

:lmao:OMFG!! I just spewed coffee all over my screen!!:notworthy:

Appointing justices to the Supreme Court is just one of the many reasons I thank god (or whatever) for Obama's election.

Last edited:

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
You think Condi Rice is qualified to be on the court?........... do you think she would be obama's first choice? don't think she is a lawyer anyway although she is a black lesbian.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You think Condi Rice is qualified to be on the court?........... do you think she would be obama's first choice? don't think she is a lawyer anyway although she is a black lesbian.

She's black?!? :yikes: How'd she sneak into the republican party? :eek: Did GWBush know this?:confused: :lmao:

Seriously though, if 1/10 of the beltway rumor mill is true, she's not a lesbian. She was banging Pres. Bush during both terms. Hence Laura traveling with hubby less and buying a home in Dallas rather than retiring to the ranch in Crawford, TX with GWB. :cool:

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
[/b]

She's black?!? :yikes: How'd she sneak into the republican party? :eek: Did GWBush know this?:confused: :lmao:

Seriously though, if 1/10 of the beltway rumor mill is true, she's not a lesbian. She was banging Pres. Bush during both terms. Hence Laura traveling with hubby less and buying a home in Dallas rather than retiring to the ranch in Crawford, TX with GWB. :cool:

Yowza, NJQT!

Can't decide if that's spin, tabloid gossip, or both.:confused: The Bushes are building a condo in upscale Dallas - close to SMU. Dubya will be living there, too.

They are keeping the ranch.

Nice try, tho:tongue:

There is no requirement that a person be a lawyer, and there is precedent for an ex-president being appointed, Wilson appointed Taft.

I'm aware of both these things. My emphasis was supposed to be on the disbarred part. There may be a delicious irony in appointing Clinton to the very court system he's not allowed to professionally participate in. Unlike Clinton, Taft was US Solicitor General and a federal judge before he became a Justice so he had other qualifications beyond just being an ex-president.

The hearings alone would be worth watching just for the drama.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

deleted15807

"I'm so terribly frightened."

Frankly I'd be surprised if you weren't. Fear is a perfect motivator since you don't have to prove anything to get people to believe it.

"Saddam has weapons of mass destruction"

And the more you repeat it the more people believe it.

So say it ten times

"Obama is a radical communist"

actually keep saying it until you believe it

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Actually, this is what scares me:

"We need somebody who's got the heart, the empathy, to recognize what it's like to be a young teenage mom. The empathy to understand what it's like to be poor, or African-American, or gay, or disabled, or old. And that's the criteria by which I'm going to be selecting my judges."

creatively ignoring, or reconstructing the Constitution, and making up laws as we go along, institutionalizing, and assigning more power to an increasingly centralized, increasingly powerful federal government, intervening in every aspect of our lives, protecting us from ourselves, in furtherance of implementing a messianic lib ideology, and lib social engineering fad of the moment.

stifling any divergence of thought or opinion, stifling any dissent, as one thought, one set of values is imposed or tolerated:

"I am absolutely convinced that culture Wars are just so '90s. Their days are growing dark."

more nails on the coffin

Last edited:

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Actually, this is what scares me:

"We need somebody who's got the heart, the empathy, to recognize what it's like to be a young teenage mom. The empathy to understand what it's like to be poor, or African-American, or gay, or disabled, or old. And that's the criteria by which I'm going to be selecting my judges."

creatively ignoring, or reconstructing the Constitution, and making up laws as we go along, institutionalizing, and assigning more power to an increasingly centralized, increasingly powerful federal government, intervening in every aspect of our lives, protecting us from ourselves, in furtherance of implementing a messianic lib ideology, and lib social engineering fad of the moment.

stifling any divergence of thought or opinion, stifling any dissent, as one thought, one set of values is imposed or tolerated:

"I am absolutely convinced that culture Wars are just so '90s. Their days are growing dark."

more nails on the coffin

First, was any of that a sentence?

Second, how do those quotes at all reflect the drivel you spewed thereafter? Again, you're entitled to your opinions, illogically organized though they are. You are, however, required to back them up with some substance, if you expect anyone to take them seriously.

Third, may I point out a simple fact. It was a "conservative" republican president, with the help of a "conservative" republican congress who gave us the patriot act. Talk about making up laws as we go along. Reworking the constitution? How about trampling all over it? Also, huge centralized government - yeah, the federal government tripled in size under our previous prez.

Don't think i'm picking on you Nick. I pick apart posts all the time. Even those with whom i agree. I generally think it's good practice to encourage people to develop better arguing skills. It makes for a more thorough debate.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
[/b]

"My father joined our party because the Democrats in Jim Crow Alabama of 1952 would not register him to vote. The Republicans did."

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"My father joined our party because the Democrats in Jim Crow Alabama of 1952 would not register him to vote. The Republicans did."

I believe she's referring to the recent (i.e. Nixon-and-later) Republican party