Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Last edited:

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Blair lost because he was associated too much with Bush and failure of the war. McCain suffers from that as well.

Tony Blair did not lose as such as he was not ejected from the Labor Party. He resigned of his own accord on June 27, 2007. Yet the Labor candidate chosen to run for his constituency lost to the Conservative candidate in the Sedgefield by-election of July 19, 2007.

Tony Blair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sedgefield by-election, 2007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
McCain will win, not because he's white, uncut1234, but because he's an honorable, seasoned, admirable war hero.

edit: and a political moderate

I would hardly call getting shot down and signing a confession a resume of a war hero. But they made a war hero out of John F. Kennedy who was a horrible pilot as well... go figure... it all boils down to who's your daddy right?

D

deleted15807

McCain will win, not because he's white, uncut1234, but because he's an honorable, seasoned, admirable war hero.

edit: and a political moderate

That worked very well for John Kerry.

hairyman101

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
if obama takes clinton has his VP...then he has a great chance of winning....but if not.....then mcain will win by a landslide. it will be interesting how this plays out.

D

deleted15807

But his love of pan-fried breakfast grains cursed him.

Mm! Mm! Waffles!

He was an elitist too. We need to get John McCain a ranch out in Oklahoma somewhere with a pickup truck. We can get a shot of him driving off the range up to the press conference in it. Think of it. It would be fabulous.

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
if obama takes clinton has his VP...then he has a great chance of winning....but if not.....then mcain will win by a landslide. it will be interesting how this plays out.

I don't think he needs her to be his VP per se, but he definitely needs her support.

Outside of a major scandal, I don't see McCain winning by landslide in any scenario.

It will be interesting indeed.

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I've just listened to all 3 speeches today, Clinton's, McCain's and Obama's. I'd love to say this objectively, but it's hard, Obama is poised to win this all.

Clinton gave a good speech, a bit self-serving but she's earned that. She sounds great and clear. She will inspire people and she can help the campaign in some capacity. But the focus of her speech is on women. She is their spokesperson.

http://cdn.sfgate.com/blogs/sounds/sfgate/chroncast/2008/06/03/Clinton_20080603.mp3

McCain's speech is a train wreck the likes of which I haven't heard before. McCain spends half the speech saying how good Obama is but ultimately, in his view, unqualified because he's young and inexperienced. He uses many of Obama's phrases and tries to twist them for his own use. It fails. It sounds forced and fake and unoriginal. Then he does the unimaginable. He calls out Bush for his failed leadership in Iraq. He doesn't stop there. How does he unite his party by attacking the highest ranking figurehead of the party? Mind-boggling. His speech and speaking style pales in comparison to both Clinton's and Obama's.

http://cdn.sfgate.com/blogs/sounds/sfgate/chroncast/2008/06/03/McCain_20080603.mp3

Obama's speech is pitch perfect. Listen to how he reaches out to Clinton. He has every oratory skill you could ever want from a speaker. More importantly, he makes you want to believe and want to see him take over the job. This is the person you want representing your country. It's so clear. He's going to win this.

http://cdn.sfgate.com/blogs/sounds/sfgate/chroncast/2008/06/03/Obama_20080603.mp3

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think McCain will win. It's not fashionable to be for the war these day, but in the privacy of the voting booth, people will vote for the man who thinks security/military are important.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Watching McCain and then Obama speak last night couldn't have shown a starker contrast.....one man looked a little confused, had an audince of a couple hundred...one was on the top of his oratroial game and spoke to 20,000.......This contrast will be striking in the debates........Plus Michelle looked damn fine last night!

MuscleBoundMan

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've just listened to all 3 speeches today, Clinton's, McCain's and Obama's. I'd love to say this objectively, but it's hard, Obama is poised to win this all.

Clinton gave a good speech, a bit self-serving but she's earned that. She sounds great and clear. She will inspire people and she can help the campaign in some capacity. But the focus of her speech is on women. She is their spokesperson.

http://cdn.sfgate.com/blogs/sounds/sfgate/chroncast/2008/06/03/Clinton_20080603.mp3

McCain's speech is a train wreck the likes of which I haven't heard before. McCain spends half the speech saying how good Obama is but ultimately, in his view, unqualified because he's young and inexperienced. He uses many of Obama's phrases and tries to twist them for his own use. It fails. It sounds forced and fake and unoriginal. Then he does the unimaginable. He calls out Bush for his failed leadership in Iraq. He doesn't stop there. How does he unite his party by attacking the highest ranking figurehead of the party? Mind-boggling. His speech and speaking style pales in comparison to both Clinton's and Obama's.

http://cdn.sfgate.com/blogs/sounds/sfgate/chroncast/2008/06/03/McCain_20080603.mp3

Obama's speech is pitch perfect. Listen to how he reaches out to Clinton. He has every oratory skill you could ever want from a speaker. More importantly, he makes you want to believe and want to see him take over the job. This is the person you want representing your country. It's so clear. He's going to win this.

http://cdn.sfgate.com/blogs/sounds/sfgate/chroncast/2008/06/03/Obama_20080603.mp3

I think you're hearing a lot of what you want to hear. But even if you aren't, remember W was elected twice. He's always been a lousy speaker and even worse debater.

This election appears to coming down to three issues:

1. The economy - especially the price of gas,
2. The War
3. Healthcare

The economy is an issue that either candidate could convince independent voters that they will be better at resolving. Americans always vote their pocketbook if its in trouble. I haven't heard any real answers out of either one of them. But you can bet that an independent voter is going to go with the guy that many more years of experience, unless (as Clinton did) the other one can clearly articulate a plan to correct the problems. A this point Americans would drill in the middle of Yellowstone National Park if it would bring gas prices back below $2. Most of us don't want to hear how good $4 gas is for the environment. We expect a high standard of living at low prices - and at least for now - we will find someone to deliver it. Again it is up in the air which candidate scores the win on this at this point in my humble opinion.

The War is tricky. Yes Obama can claim that he always opposed it. I remember when it was still up for discussion, and I actually got in a fight at a bar because I opposed the war. Not that popular then. My point is that the vast majority favored it then, and pointing out that they were wrong isn't going to sell nearly as well in the general election as it did the primary. Independent minded Americans want out of Iraq and they will be willing to hear either guy's plan. I defiantely expect McCain to be more compelling. He's been there. But who knows.

Healthcare is very important to many americans. The elderly are concerned about the availiability of services. Business are concerned about the rising cost. And many intellegent independent minded voters are concerned about 30 million unissured children in this very wealthy nation. I believe that Obama carries many advantages on this issue. Being a minority from a humble upbringing and the ability to articulate an understandable strategy to correct a very complex problem, just to name a few.

As an independent, Bush is not a factor for me with McCain. Clinton wasn't with Gore, and Reagan wasn't with Bush senior, and so on. I really doubt it is going to make any real difference other than to polarize members of both parties, but they will be there either way.

I think Obama has the higher hill to climb simply because americans usually seek security of experience when they are worried. I give you our last election as an example. But Clinton over came the same problem, and I do believe that Obama is quiet intellegent. I don't really get the same everyman vibe from him that I did from Clinton, and I don't really care that much for most of his speeches as they seem to lack specifics to me. But those speeches were written to win a nomination, not an election. I know he had better come with something more original than more taxes and more roads to fix this economy. I am very impressed that he was able to win the nomination over Hillary. That was not an easy thing to do.

hot-rod

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
McCain will sweep this November. Old white people will not vote for a young black man who, completely falsly, has been linked to terrorist groups.
The democrats shot themselves in the face. Hillary would have taken every swing state. Now we get McCain. Thanks guys.
The only thing McCain will be sweeping is his failed presidentual run under the rug forever. Didn't ya'll just love all his monkey-faced grins while giving his speech last night. Looked like a real dufus! :Flush:

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
It's still early times, but things are getting interesting. Clinton has thrown her support behind Obama. Now there is 5 months to pull the party back together as much as possible. Plenty of time.

Here's McCain's current problem: Obama is the more interesting story. We know that the media drives much of the information that people get and the media is fueled by what's hot, current and interesting. Obama's story, first African-American with a legitimate shot at the presidency is a story that's never been told before. It not only plays well in the US, it's an international hit. Not to mention that Obama, with his presence and voice, is made for the media.

I think this is smart for McCain to want to do the town hall meetings with Obama. The more he can be around Obama, the more he can share the spotlight that Obama will garner. McCain's story is only really interesting in its opposition to Obama.

I also find it interesting that the people who don't want Obama as president, rarely talk about what makes McCain the better president or which of McCain's policies excite them. It seems many want McCain, just because he's not Obama. That doesn't help McCain because as time moves on, Obama will make more of an impact on people--he'll become clearer in his plans and his charm will convert many people. I don't see this happening with McCain. He's not going to be able to present a package that will draw people from Obama to his side.

It's just getting good.

Mikutomodachi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Obama is a great man to be president. I really want him to win all the way, but I think he wont win thanks to the electoral college...he may win the popular vote, but not win the college's vote. So I believe it will be a repeat of Bush vs. Gore.

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Obama is a great man to be president. I really want him to win all the way, but I think he wont win thanks to the electoral college...he may win the popular vote, but not win the college's vote. So I believe it will be a repeat of Bush vs. Gore.

I don't see it going the way of Bush vs Gore because the perfect storm of events that benefited Bush aren't there for McCain. Bush vs Gore came down to Florida. Bush had his brother as the governor, his campaign rep as the state controller, his family's relationship to some members of the supreme court, Nader siphoning votes from Gore and Karl Rove. And he still won by what, 700 official votes? The odds of all that happening again that way, in our lifetime, is slim.

If anyone has the perfect storm of evens leading things in their direction now, it's Obama. People are sick of Bush, tired of the war, distrustful of Republicans and Obama is exciting, unique, historical and looks and sounds great. His appeal is greater than Kerry's and he has enough going on his favor that he should be able to grab a couple states that Gore couldn't.

He is, undoubtedly, positioned well.