Obama wins Dixville Notch!

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Aw, beat me to it.

15-6.

For comparison, Bush won Dixville Notch 19-7 in 2004.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thats in NH btw.

Obama 15
McCain 6

where did you see that??

"According to Donna Kaye Erwin, the supervisor of the voter checklist, Dixville Notch has five registered Democrats, four Republicans and 11 undeclared/independents"

sounds like someone else snuck in.

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
where did you see that??

"According to Donna Kaye Erwin, the supervisor of the voter checklist, Dixville Notch has five registered Democrats, four Republicans and 11 undeclared/independents"

sounds like someone else snuck in.

It was just on the news. They voted @ midnight.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I watched it live on MSNBC.

never mind...i just saw it on the CNN website

looks a bit different now though

Dixville Notch has spoken: It's Obama in a landslide - CNN.com

rather bizarre though, the change from 2004 to now:

"the village had 26 registered voters, roughly half of whom were registered Republican; the other half were registered "undeclared", i.e., unaffiliated with a party. New Hampshire law, though, allows a voter to declare or change a party affiliation upon arriving at the polling place, so a number of independent voters vote in the Democratic party primary."
-

today it is 5 registered democrats, 4 registered republicans and 11 undeclared.

really weird.

ConnerM360

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I can't wait for all this to fucking end and (1) we just get someone who regardless of what they say they can do; has no money to do anything. And (2) is going into the presidency during such a hard economic time that I'm sure neither will live up to how they could of done going in when bush did.

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
never mind...i just saw it on the CNN website

looks a bit different now though

Dixville Notch has spoken: It's Obama in a landslide - CNN.com

rather bizarre though, the change from 2004 to now:

"the village had 26 registered voters, roughly half of whom were registered Republican; the other half were registered "undeclared", i.e., unaffiliated with a party. New Hampshire law, though, allows a voter to declare or change a party affiliation upon arriving at the polling place, so a number of independent voters vote in the Democratic party primary."
-

today it is 5 registered democrats, 4 registered republicans and 11 undeclared.

really weird.

How do you read this? I mean, whats the message in that? You have an interesting perspective on things, so I am curious.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How do you read this? I mean, whats the message in that? You have an interesting perspective on things, so I am curious.

tbh, i have no clue...i just find it rather bizarre, that a town of 75 people, who 4 years ago had 26 registered voters, half republican, half undeclared, is now a town that still has about 75 people, yet it now has 4 republicans, 5 democrats, and 11 undeclareds...

doesn't it seem a bit strange?

Let's face it, towns or places that are diehard republican or democratic bastions, usually stay that way pretty solidly, even in times when that party may be doing badly...(look at a place like Utah, or Texas or other solidly red states, or New York and Hawaii which are solidly blue) thos are major states, now put that into a small town...

you know how these little towns are...one gas station, a diner, an auto repair shop, etc...pretty simple places...

people do not move away and they rarely move to it...it is usually the same folks year after year...that have a particular lifestyle and view of that...whether it is a "union" blue collar democrat town, or a blue collar, pro-gun, religious type republican town...

so this place seems to be rather bizarre....the rolls drop from 26 to 21 in 4 years (okay, maybe a couple died and one moved away)

13 or so were republican, 13 undeclared...now, suddenly, there are 9 less registered republicans, 5 more registered democrats (from zero), and still 11 undeclareds or so...

doesn't that seem rather strange? it would seem that 5 people disappeared for one reason or another, let's say all republicans who died, then of the remaining 8, 4 became democrats (instead of undeclareds) and maybe 1 undecided became a democrat...

it just seems like a *REALLY* bizarre situation...like a town in some absurd horror movie where no paradigms exist and bizarre things happen (like South Park)

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ever been to Dixville Notch? You write,

(okay, maybe a couple died and one moved away)

The 26 votes from 2004 included 9 absentee ballots -- a pretty high number for such a small town. It's much more likely that a handful of people are fortunate enough to own a vacation home in this ski resort town and a second home somewhere else, and that some of these people chose to move their registration to their other state. Other possibilities might include students attending college, or military personnel, who chose to register elsewhere this year.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ever been to Dixville Notch? You write,

The 26 votes from 2004 included 9 absentee ballots -- a pretty high number for such a small town. It's much more likely that a handful of people are fortunate enough to own a vacation home in this ski resort town and a second home somewhere else, and that some of these people chose to move their registration to their other state. Other possibilities might include students attending college, or military personnel, who chose to register elsewhere this year.

no, i have never been there, but my point is, it is hardly a regular reflection of an ordinary town and if there are people voting absentee who have vacation homes, than it is not exactly an accurate reflection of the town that lives there is it?

My parents have a summer home on Long Island, and even though they are residents of NYC, they vote out there, for several reasons...

therefore, they do not accurately represent the town they vot in so to speak, because exactly how many americans in this general election will be voting absentee because of their vacation homes in resort towns? Not many, one would think.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm wondering if you'd be so skeptical if the vote totals had been reversed. In any case, here's another microcosmic stat:

Vigo County, Indiana has the most accurate 'bellwether' record of any county in the US (source):

Only six counties in the nation have voted for the winning presidential candidate in every election since 1960, according to the Web site Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections. Of those six, Vigo County, which is about 70 miles southwest of Indianapolis, has voted closest to the national margin.

With 98% of the precincts in the county reported, Obama leads 58-42% in Vigo County.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm wondering if you'd be so skeptical if the vote totals had been reversed. In any case, here's another microcosmic stat:

Vigo County, Indiana has the most accurate 'bellwether' record of any county in the US (source):

With 98% of the precincts in the county reported, Obama leads 58-42% in Vigo County.

why would i be skeptical if it were reversed?

i don't care who wins, i don't vote for the corruption of the democrats or the republicans.

the numbers seemed completely bizarre, from a random place that does not represent america accurately.

i don't care about bellweather's i wait for the facts and results.

D_Marazion Analdouche

Experimental Member
Media
why would i be skeptical if it were reversed?

i don't care who wins, i don't vote for the corruption of the democrats or the republicans.

the numbers seemed completely bizarre, from a random place that does not represent america accurately.

i don't care about bellweather's i wait for the facts and results.

Flashy, are you starting to feel, as I do, that no matter how many times you state you didn't vote for either side, people don't believe it. It's almost like it's impossible to have moderate views and look at each issue as it stands alone instead of following in typical partisan BS.