Obama wins Dixville Notch!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Notaguru2, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Notaguru2

Gold Member

Thats in NH btw.

Obama 15
    McCain 6

2. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

:fest30:

3. Notaguru2

Gold Member

lol =)

4. mindseye

Gold Member

Aw, beat me to it.

15-6.

For comparison, Bush won Dixville Notch 19-7 in 2004.

5. Notaguru2

Gold Member

True story...

6. Flashy

Gold Member

where did you see that??

"According to Donna Kaye Erwin, the supervisor of the voter checklist, Dixville Notch has five registered Democrats, four Republicans and 11 undeclared/independents"

sounds like someone else snuck in.

7. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

just a small taste of tomorrow ;)

8. Notaguru2

Gold Member

It was just on the news. They voted @ midnight.

9. Flashy

Gold Member

i know they vote at midnight, which news was the story on?

10. Notaguru2

Gold Member

I watched it live on MSNBC.

11. Flashy

Gold Member

never mind...i just saw it on the CNN website

looks a bit different now though

Dixville Notch has spoken: It's Obama in a landslide - CNN.com

rather bizarre though, the change from 2004 to now:

"the village had 26 registered voters, roughly half of whom were registered Republican; the other half were registered "undeclared", i.e., unaffiliated with a party. New Hampshire law, though, allows a voter to declare or change a party affiliation upon arriving at the polling place, so a number of independent voters vote in the Democratic party primary."
    -

today it is 5 registered democrats, 4 registered republicans and 11 undeclared.

really weird.

12. ConnerM360

ConnerM360 Active Member

Albums:
    I can't wait for all this to fucking end and (1) we just get someone who regardless of what they say they can do; has no money to do anything. And (2) is going into the presidency during such a hard economic time that I'm sure neither will live up to how they could of done going in when bush did.

13. Notaguru2

Gold Member

How do you read this? I mean, whats the message in that? You have an interesting perspective on things, so I am curious.

14. Ren69

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Oooooooooooooohh!!!!!!!! :)

15. Flashy

Gold Member

tbh, i have no clue...i just find it rather bizarre, that a town of 75 people, who 4 years ago had 26 registered voters, half republican, half undeclared, is now a town that still has about 75 people, yet it now has 4 republicans, 5 democrats, and 11 undeclareds...

doesn't it seem a bit strange?

Let's face it, towns or places that are diehard republican or democratic bastions, usually stay that way pretty solidly, even in times when that party may be doing badly...(look at a place like Utah, or Texas or other solidly red states, or New York and Hawaii which are solidly blue) thos are major states, now put that into a small town...

you know how these little towns are...one gas station, a diner, an auto repair shop, etc...pretty simple places...

people do not move away and they rarely move to it...it is usually the same folks year after year...that have a particular lifestyle and view of that...whether it is a "union" blue collar democrat town, or a blue collar, pro-gun, religious type republican town...

so this place seems to be rather bizarre....the rolls drop from 26 to 21 in 4 years (okay, maybe a couple died and one moved away)

13 or so were republican, 13 undeclared...now, suddenly, there are 9 less registered republicans, 5 more registered democrats (from zero), and still 11 undeclareds or so...

doesn't that seem rather strange? it would seem that 5 people disappeared for one reason or another, let's say all republicans who died, then of the remaining 8, 4 became democrats (instead of undeclareds) and maybe 1 undecided became a democrat...

it just seems like a *REALLY* bizarre situation...like a town in some absurd horror movie where no paradigms exist and bizarre things happen (like South Park)

16. mindseye

Gold Member

Ever been to Dixville Notch? You write,

The 26 votes from 2004 included 9 absentee ballots -- a pretty high number for such a small town. It's much more likely that a handful of people are fortunate enough to own a vacation home in this ski resort town and a second home somewhere else, and that some of these people chose to move their registration to their other state. Other possibilities might include students attending college, or military personnel, who chose to register elsewhere this year.

17. Flashy

Gold Member

no, i have never been there, but my point is, it is hardly a regular reflection of an ordinary town and if there are people voting absentee who have vacation homes, than it is not exactly an accurate reflection of the town that lives there is it?

My parents have a summer home on Long Island, and even though they are residents of NYC, they vote out there, for several reasons...

therefore, they do not accurately represent the town they vot in so to speak, because exactly how many americans in this general election will be voting absentee because of their vacation homes in resort towns? Not many, one would think.

18. mindseye

Gold Member

I'm wondering if you'd be so skeptical if the vote totals had been reversed. In any case, here's another microcosmic stat:

Vigo County, Indiana has the most accurate 'bellwether' record of any county in the US (source):

With 98% of the precincts in the county reported, Obama leads 58-42% in Vigo County.

19. Flashy

Gold Member

why would i be skeptical if it were reversed?

i don't care who wins, i don't vote for the corruption of the democrats or the republicans.

the numbers seemed completely bizarre, from a random place that does not represent america accurately.

i don't care about bellweather's i wait for the facts and results.

20. D_Marazion Analdouche

Flashy, are you starting to feel, as I do, that no matter how many times you state you didn't vote for either side, people don't believe it. It's almost like it's impossible to have moderate views and look at each issue as it stands alone instead of following in typical partisan BS.

Draft saved Draft deleted