Obama

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Nrets, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Nrets

Nrets Member

OK, no one answered my question in the other thread, so I am starting my own thread....
    SERIOUSLY, if Billary or McCain attended some church that said the same things as what Reverend Wright said, would they still be seriously considered for president? Or is white guilt so great that no one can look at this objectively?
    I agree with most of the things that Reverend Wright said, but let's be real for a moment...what would the public reaction be if it was Clinton at a church listening to a reverend scream about how oppressive America is?
    Typically presidents of this country are treated from birth like papier machet boats in a snowstorm...somehow protected either by luck or some other virtue from anything that might be controversial in the future.

Knowing what runs this country...corporations and rich white men...it would be revolutionary to elect anyone who attended for any period of time, a church that said the things Reverend wright said.

And all it takes is Central American History 101 to know that revolutions do not hold unless someone busts out junta...

Interesting times we live in.

Thoughts?

Anybody?

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
  3. sparky11point5

sparky11point5 New Member

Are you seriously asking whether individuals get treated differently based on the context, reputation, personal experience, willingness to address the issue directly, attitude toward them personally?

Ummm Yeah. Next question, please.

4. mrpond

mrpond New Member

Yes talked to death by you industrialsize and you have the front to come out with that reply.

Like you Nrets i agree with what was said, but is it the message that is getting all the flak or is it the messenger that they dont like. America is still a young country so she's going through her mtv and microwave stage ( knee jerk reaction to anything that doesnt scream god bless america) Oh those colonials.... when will u come back to the mother country and suckle on years of tradition.

5. sargon20

Gold Member

We're blowin $4000 a second in Iraq and everyone's convinced we even need to discuss the rantings of a religious figure? Here have some more Kool-Aid.

6. mrpond

mrpond New Member

Ah wake up and smell the coffee ( read english tea a far superior beverage) religion and politics are interlinked.

7. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wow, excellent question and great post! There is the white guilt thing that is making whites react negatively to Wright's sermons... I reacted positively to what he said because it made logical sense, not because I feel guilty for my white blood. White guilt is working against Obama on this one. But then there is the other hand that most people see him as bi-racial and half white and his blackness intrigues and excites a lot of whites... this was one of the aspects of his momentum that the Wright thing has taken the wind out of.

I think that Hillary or McCain would be in similar hot water to Obama. Without the white guilt associated with Wright's sermons... I dunno... maybe it wouldn't be as intense. It is hard to pose a parallel because the racial matter is charged with slavery, segregation, disenfranchisement, and Jim Crowe. White anger against other ethnic minorities would just seem like hate speech. I wish that I could give your question a real answer...

8. Nrets

Nrets Member

I just finally read this and you did give more of an answer than anyone else....Clinton or McCain would be in similar trouble.
    I personally think they would be in MORE trouble....and that perhaps Obama IS in trouble but no one will say it (because of the race card) until after he is on a ballot and unelectable to anyone living within 200 miles of a red state.

9. dreamer20

Gold Member

Actually John McCain illustrates a double standard at work with regard to partisan politics as shown here:

Chris Korzen: McCain Attacked Bush in 2000 Over Anti-Catholic Endorsement - Politics on The Huffington Post

McCain enlisted the aid of those pastors he formerly claimed were "agents of intolerance" and secured the Republican nomination without this fact affecting him adversely. Had Hillary or Obama done the same thing they would have been called "flip floppers" and "hypocrites" by the GOP.

http://www.lpsg.org/1379193-post4.html

10. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually, I think this country has grown up and moved PAST reverend Wright...

Draft saved Draft deleted