Obamacare to the Rescue

Discussion in 'Politics' started by petite, Dec 31, 2011.

1. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Breast cancer, health insurance and an apology to President Obama - latimes.com

An excerpt:

I can relate to these problems and difficulties with the cost of health insurance and health care from personal experience, so I wanted to share this woman's story with all of you.

2. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    I just remember the 8 years from 1998 to 2006 when the Republicans said NOTHING and did NOTHING about the 40 million Americans who had no health care. Not "My" problem!!

The longer this is in place -- the more people are going to find out that what President Obama told us was a greater truth than we realize: "To do nothing will simply make matters much worse!"

3. houtx48

Gold Member

Republicans fall in two categories, i got mine and fuck the rest of you and I want to be like the I got mine people but the old washing machine on the front porch is holding me back.
    I would rather see people with healthcare system than using my taxes for nation building in other countries.

4. B_Jingoist

B_Jingoist New Member

So, basically the gist of this article is-

Make your opinion based on how much you benefit from something instead of if it is the best decision or not.

5. AtomicMouse1950

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The point is basically this. We've had nothing but obstructionism on the Right side of the isle, since Obama took office. When the minority leader of the Senate says publicly that it is his job to see too it that Obama "Is a one term President". of course ignoring his own oath of office to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution. Nor by making that statement is he doing what his constituents want. Mitch has his own agenda. Now people are seeing many of the plans of the Health Care Law slowly unfolding, to benefit those who are affected, and would never have had the chance before the Health Care law was passed. It never was Obama-care, that's just a Right Wing Talking Point. Many are now seeing this to be true.

6. gymfresh

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    And despite this full "Red Rover, Red Rover, Send Barry Right Over" mentality of maintaining a linked-arm wall against the President, he's managed to achieve a lot. Much of it is chronicled at Snap-O.com. Oh snap!

7. sargon20

Gold Member

The reason they fought so hard against it is because they knew once you give something so clearly beneficial to the public it will be impossible to take away.

Many sad stories..

Sick Around America

8. ialooking

ialooking Member

Albums:
    If insurance companies could compete nationwide instead within a state premiums would fall due to competition. Since this largesse was passed my health care premiums have increased every 6months with no stop in sight. Blaming the Republicans doesn't make sense. The Democrats know full well by allowing national competition instead of within a state premiums would fall & make it more affordable. Like anything else the government gets involved in, it soon becomes an overly expensive, holy damn diaster for the taxpayer.

9. sargon20

Gold Member

Bullshit. Competition in health care has never worked and never will work. There is no money no profit in insuring sick people. Just like there is no money involved in insuring dangerous drivers and no company will no matter how many are out there will insure people who make a lot of claims due to illness in the case of health care or bad driving in the case of car insurance.

Why markets can’t cure healthcare

10. B_Jingoist

B_Jingoist New Member

So you want to force them to insure people?

So, what if tomorrow ALL of the health insurance providers just closed their doors and said screw it?

Oh, and as far as competitive healthcare, almost every other western nation would disagree with that.

11. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    So what is your solution for people who are deemed uninsurable by the marketplace? What are they do to? Do you even care?

12. houtx48

Gold Member

How many times have you heard that song and dance............Please deregulate us it will be good for the consumer.....as the banks were asking with both hands for bailout money.

13. ialooking

ialooking Member

Albums:
    If nationalised healthcare is so great, why are the countries that have it scaling back & saying it can't be supported? Enough parasites on a host kills the host & the parasite.

14. 1kmb1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    in what way is Americans being alive not the best decision?

15. gymfresh

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    And the implication is...?

Correlation is not causation. It's equally plausible that your premiums would have gone up the same amount, or possibly even by more, if Congress had not acted at all. I do remember the President saying that healthcare costs and premiums were poised to go sky-high if we did nothing.

16. gymfresh

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Oh, no, that would be horrible! More affordable healthcare! What possible incentive could one political party have to prevent insurers from offering plans across state borders? And I'm an economist; could you please explain just how putting Ohioans and Indianans together causes premiums to fall?

And how exactly does this address the issue of those with pre-existing conditions (both insurability and affordability)? Nationwide insurance companies would still be denying people left and right and canceling policies on the flimsiest of technicalities. If these are the things you believe are driving premiums up, what's the alternative? Please, please, don't say high-risk pools. There should be only ONE pool: American.

17. dude_007

Gold Member

Obama 2012 and get those Tea Party people OUT

18. B_Jingoist

B_Jingoist New Member

There is a reason it is called insurance, it is safety net for when or if something happens.

It isn't a payment plan, it isn't a way to pay bills. It is something you pay into and when bad stuff does happen the money you pay into it comes back out to pay for the bills. Getting it mid problem offers nothing to the company that runs it. They are a business. They employ people. They can't just go around paying for peoples medical bills without getting some kind of payment in return.

19. B_Jingoist

B_Jingoist New Member

Well, if it completely destroys the budget and medical industry it is a bad idea. And there are much better and cheaper ways to keep people alive.

20. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    You didn't answer the question. So what is your solution for people who are deemed uninsurable by the marketplace? What are they do to?

Draft saved Draft deleted