Obama's Convention Speech

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SilverTrain, Aug 28, 2008.

1. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Pitch perfect and thrilling. Stirred patriotic feelings continually.

The kind of speech I would enjoy hearing from a democrat, republican, libertarian, whig, etc., etc. And I think if people are honest (i.e., they set aside knee-jerk political party love) , everyone would agree.

I'm through giving any credit to the 2008 Republican platform. Unless you're a millionaire or megacorporation looking to retain you're preferred tax treatment and/or subsidies and/or handouts, there's nothing, NOTHING, to recommend in the Republican ticket.

I love Obama. He's the politician I've been waiting for all my life. He's like my favorite "movie politicians" (e.g., Jeff Bridges in The Contender) only he's real.

The "he's muslim" crap and all the other b.s. people like to proffer as evidence against him is laughable. He won't be swift-boated Karl. So I wouldn't even bother trying. Just lay down and take it.

Bring on the first Tuesday in November.

Bring on the resurgence of a great nation.

2. johnny.roddy

johnny.roddy New Member

Albums:
    I personally cannot stand Obama. I believe during his speech he said that HE WOULD CHANGE CLIMATE. Like, wtf? He can't do that. Nobody can. Hillary should have been the nominee, if it wasn't how she ran her campaign. I'm personally a Democrat and don't really like Republicans, but if Obama gets elected we will go through a horrible depression. McCain actually has PLANS. Obama is all about change change change, blah blah blah, but he's got no way of doing them. He has NO experience... like two years in the Senate, what is that compared to McCain's 26 years of experience? Furthermore, how is he gonna bring about all this change if Congress has to approve all of it. I think his speech was ridiculous. I really hope McCain is able to bring in more Hillary voters as well.

3. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    Obama had a great speech. I loved the way how he threw everything negative that McCain and others have said and threw them back at it. He had the speech of a nominee..

but honestly, i really believe that Hillary's speech was better. I got chills and thought it was very moving and inspirational.

4. Gl3nn

Gold Member

Although it'd be better for the economy in Europe if McCain wins, I still hope Obama wins. The overal picture is much better if you look at Obama and that's who America needs. Otherwise... I'm afraid America will have a very hard time recovering from again a republican president.

5. Trinity

Trinity New Member

I thought this speech by Obama was his weakest I've ever heard him give. Of course Biden's was worse. Al Gore's was pretty good...but he was stealing Obama's thunder (and it was yet another attempt to qualify a weak candidate). Obama's speech had nothing new. Obama was on the defensive and he did not answer how he was qualified to lead. The movie biography was awful. Hillary's and you know Bill's from 92' blew Obama's away --and not just stylistically...it is because Obama has nothing to stand on other than being a biracial child of a white woman from Kansas and an estranged father from Kenya he barely knew. He had the same people claiming the same things about him we've heard...the garbage Claire keeps spouting about him standing up in the Senate lol.

Everything he's done, there is another junior senator that's done the same thing. There is some State Senator in some State Legislature who has done more than Obama and he or she is NOT Qualified to be President. LoL

The Speech was heavy on rousing rhetoric....more Hope, Change. And weak on Obama's experience to achieve it. Obama in fact told the GOP to stop attacking his patriotism. lol. Nobody is talking about his patriotism...if he is seeking the office of the President of the United States with the weakest resume, record and experience in history expect to be challenged on your qualifications and your judgment.

Lastly, the whole thing was a spectacle. The football stadium, the stage and The fireworks were ridiculous. I thought it was the Beijing Olympics. It was a bit over the top...for not winning the actual Presidency.

(I agree Hillary's speech was better.)

6. MovingForward

MovingForward Member

So why did you not support John McCain from the beginning if he has so much more experience. He has more experience than Hillary right?

7. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    The answer is that SOME people who claim to be Democratic or hold democratic principles are suddenly not so Democratic when it's comes to supporting Obama. (Same principles and goals and hopes for a better America as Hillary so correctly noted - but wrong gender...or color...or both...who the fuck knows??) So they'll tear him down anyway they can even if it means "cutting off their own noses".

I personally thought the speech genuinely inspiring and moving (attempts to ridicule his sincerity aside). One thing's for sure they kept saying Biden and Hillary would play the role of "attack dog". lol

After tonite's speech, methinks they were just the warm up act. Gloves off, baby.

8. texas41-38

texas41-38 Member

So another acknowledged Republican adulterer, married to a pill head Stepford wife adulteress who used her millions to keep him out of prison for the Keating Five involvement, a proud "foot soilder in the Reagan Revolution" (I keep picturing Goose Stepping), whose signature piece of legislation after 26 years on the Hill is McCain-Feingold and mulitiple choice on the Confederate Battle flag, who couldn't go suck farts out of Jerry Fallwell's ass fast enough when it became clear he would be the nominee, wants to be president.

I am sure John McCain is a nice fellow, but as a member of a Gold Star family that has served in America's military for the last 5 generations, let me assure you that just like his new idol George W., the man couldn't lead a four car funeral.

I don't know who the agent of change in America and the world is; but I am very clear on who it is NOT.

9. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Looks like I am going to have to agree with Trinity once again, didn't hear anything new tonight...Zzzzzzzz...Dems are in a dog fight again...Zzzzzz...They aren't good at winning dog fights...Zzzzzz. Joe Biden...Zzzzzzz.

10. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wow Trinity and Skull, your heads are so deep in the sand you guys could probably order me some Pai fish.

Obama's speech wasn't perfect, but it wasn't a snooze fest unless you're decidedly against him in which case he could've juggled knives, breathed fire, delivered a baby and cured cancer and you still wouldn't be impressed.

Even Mccain recognized the history Obama made, and lots of repubs acknowledge that this was a decent convention.

It's HILARIOUS that you don't see how desperate Mccain is, attacking trivial bullshit points that hold zero merit, but sound good and cater to ignorant Americans who are scared of Barack's middle name and can be easily manipulated.

11. transformer_99

Gold Member

Some good points Marley, but the 4 day show is just a show, just as the Republican convention will be.

McCain acknowledges the history that was made by Obama, who would defy that, denial would label him a racist by those, just as ignorant Americans who aren't scared (or perhaps have a sense of humor) of Obama's middle name and are just as easily manipulated because they are good little consumers/Americans playing that role.

Obama's speech wasn't far removed from what you say he could've done and still not impresssed. You'd think this new & improved marketing gimmick of change is a cure for the cancer(s) of society ? In an event full of fireworks, I'd venture to say this convention was more celebratory than the 4th of July itself this year ?

12. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

watched less than five minutes of THE speech tonight and turned off the TV. I consider that as part of my energy conservation program. :yuck:

13. D_Davy_Downspout

D_Davy_Downspout Account Disabled

Okay, most of you people who claim that Obama just says 'change' and 'hope' alot with no substance, you're repeating a talking point you heard on TV, the radio, or the internet. You're showing off the fact that you haven't actually researched his platform. Do you really think that the DNC would let him get away with that shit without laying out his policies? Answer me 2 questions:

1) In detail, explain McCain's platform and how it departs from the current administration. (for purposes of argument, we'll assume that you acknowledge that Bush sucks)

2) List for me points that Obama addresses but has no plans about.

If these questions are not easy for you to answer, you might want to re-evaluate you opinions.

14. Major Mudd

Major Mudd New Member

Anyone who doesn't think Obama's speech was uplifting, inspiring, and just plain on the money is a shithead. And whether they want to admit or not, they're racists

15. Major Mudd

Major Mudd New Member

Boy are you the dumbest fuck on this board.
    You have no fucking clue.
    I bet you supported Bush too right?
    Asshole

16. D_Davy_Downspout

The only part of the speech where "climate" is mentioned:

So I guess you might interpret that sentence like you did, if you were high for instance.

Source

17. D_Davy_Downspout

That's stupid. You can have a dislike for a speech and not be racist. You cheapen the debate by posting stuff like this.

Now personally, I suspect a good portion of the harcore "hillary" types who have never voted Republican, but will vote for McCain over Obama are afraid to admit it's about race.

18. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    No substance? Seems you were listening to a different speech. A quick browse of the medias post mortems on the speech all mention how this speech was a weaving of great oratory AND substance:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/29/us/politics/29assess.html?hp

For Obama, details tell the tale - Ben Smith - Politico.com

Analysis: Obama takes on McCain, GOP critics - CNN.com

Commentary: Obama plan would save jobs, help middle class - CNN.com

Obama: I'm ready to beat John McCain - CNN.com

Obama blasts Bush?s ?failed presidency? - The conventions - MSNBC.com

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/08/28/politics/main4395007.shtml

Pat Buchanan in his own words:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Fru4dZLGA

there are more but I'll end with Senator Clinton's remarks:

Senator Hillary Clinton:
    "Barack Obama's speech tonight laid out his specific, bold solutions and optimistic vision for our nation and our children's future.
    "His speech crystallized the clear choice between he and Senator McCain. Four more years of the same failed policies or a leader who can tackle the great challenges we face: revitalizing our economy and restoring our standing in the world. I am proud to support Senator Obama, our next President of the United States and Joe Biden, our next Vice President of the United States."

#18 Industrialsize, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  19. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

Can someone please tell me what Hillary Clinton has ever accomplished in her entire fucking life? Other than marrying a man who was clearly on his way to the top?

The woman is a fraud. She is to politics as Courtney Love is to rock & roll.

20. Flashy

Gold Member

I did not watch the speech and do not care for either candidate, but i read this blurb from Obama's speech and found it hilariously funny: Even the most firm Obama supporter cannot honestly believe the following statement:

But I will also go through the federal budget, line by line, eliminating programs that no longer work and making the ones we do need work better and cost less -- because we cannot meet 21st-century challenges with a 20th-century bureaucracy."

When was the last time, that a democratic president, reliant on a democratic congress, actually went through government spending, slashing programs like that, especially when many of those programs are fought for, gained and defended by many in his own party?

In all fairness, both the republican and democratic parties are despicable bureaucracies, but is there a solitary democrat soul on this board that thinks that the congressional democrats are going to sit idly by and let Obama just slash all their pork, earmarks, pet projects for their home states and districts etc.? Ho exactly is he going to do that? Democrats are just as stingy and protective of their little pet projects and programs as the republicans are.

When was the last time the Democrats eliminated a major program that no longer works?

How is he going to make the ones that we still need actually cost less?

There is alot of rhetoric as usual from a politician, but let's face it, precious little substance, high minded ideas, massive soaring rhetoric and flowery hopeful language, yet no actual solutions, as usual.

It's always the same if you are going to vote for a republican or a democrat.

Draft saved Draft deleted