Obama's Dove of Peace is a Bird Of Prey Perhaps

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
" ...
In the Soviet era, Moscow understood that the inability to strike at the enemy’s supply bases and training camps made a simple buildup of strength pointless....
A build-up of U.S. troops in Afghanistan will only produce more losses...
Moscow is countering Washington’s attempts to increase influence in the former Soviet republics without preventing the U.S. operation in Afghanistan for a whole number of reasons. One of the main reasons is that failure in Afghanistan could make Washington more pliable on a number of key issues of influence in Asia.

Repeating the Soviet mistake in Afghanistan : Defence & Security : Defense News Air Force Army Navy News

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Direct from the horse's mouth.

(notes from the campaign trail)

"We have seen Afghanistan worsen, deteriorate. We need more troops there. We need more resources there ... I would send two to three additional brigades to Afghanistan".... Barack Obama (Sept. 26, 2008)

"Our nation is fighting two wars. There are terrorists who are determined to kill as many Americans as they can. The world's most dangerous weapons risk falling into the wrong hands. And that is why the single greatest priority of my presidency will be doing anything and everything that I can to keep the American people safe.

Our military is overstretched in Iraq. We have nearly 150,000 troops in Iraq, many on their second, third, or fourth tour of duty. Meanwhile, Afghanistan is sliding towards chaos, and risks turning into a narco-terrorist state. The Taliban is on the offensive in the south. A recent Taliban prison break in Kandahar freed hundreds of militants, and underscored the volatile situation on the ground. The coalition casualties in Afghanistan last month were higher than in Iraq. That's the result of the Bush-McCain approach to the war on terrorism... We need more resources in Afghanistan. I have been arguing for this since 2002, when I said that we should finish the fight against al Qaeda and the Taliban instead of going into Iraq".... Barack Obama, June 18, 2008

well, i strongly support additional troops to Afghanistan. In 2003 i thought it was crucial to continue much harder in Afghanistan before even thinking of Iraq...

but one thing in that post above struck me:

"There are terrorists who are determined to kill as many Americans as they can. The world's most dangerous weapons risk falling into the wrong hands."

in all fairness, how many of you have constantly ridiculed Bush (or McCain) when they have stated something similar, just as forcefully?

something tells me that if this line especially "The world's most dangerous weapons risk falling into the wrong hands."

was uttered by George W. or Cheney et al, the many people on here who dislike Bush immensely for the many reasons he has given them to, would take that line and scream bloody murder, about lying, "WMD's" an excuse and it is just to enrich Haliburton etc.

regardless of how one feels about Bush or Obama on a personal level, past behavior suggests that the specific line, uttered by Bush in any form, would bring a blizzard of condemnation, venom and disbelieving snorts and rolleyes...

so, why is it different when Obama said it? Despite their other many policy differences, why is it that the specific line, uttered by Obama is somehow forward thinking, but if Bush uttered it, would be war-mongering...

also, i would like to know how that specific line relates to Afghanistan?

"The world's most dangerous weapons risk falling into the wrong hands."

Let us assume that he is talking about nuclear weapons, since there is nothing more dangerous on this earth than a nuclear weapon (except maybe a Michael Bay movie or a Beyonce commercial)

how are world's "most dangerous weapons risk falling into the wrong hands"?

Afghanistan does not have nuclear weapons. Neither does Iran or Syria. Neither does Al Qaieda, Hamas or Hezbollah...

so who has them?

Pakistan
North Korea

who wants them?

Iran
Syria
Al Qaeida
Hamas
Hezbollah

so it sounds to me, like Obama wants to stop the nukes falling into the wrong hands...so how do you do that without taking military action to stop that from happening?

so how do you stop that? You obviously have to bomb and destroy nuclear facilities right?

so what can Obama do? He can't bomb Pakistan. He can't bomb North Korea. Everyone here does not want him to bomb Iran or Syria (Israel took care of that)....yet these are the only folks who have or will soon have these weapons.

so essentially his quote is either meaningless posturing, or a serious threat against certain countries...

so, in a roundabout way back to the point...what exactly is the difference between Bush and Obama on that point?

the only way to stop these people (Iran) is with action and you cannot stop North Korea and Pakistan since they already have their nukes.

So if Bush had said that, would many of you be as understanding and supportive of that line as many of you have been over Obama's saying it?

If Bush or Cheney had made that threat, i know many folks here would be screaming "warmongerer" "lunatic" etc...so when Obama espouses the exact same threat, what is the difference?

if he is not prepared to take the miltiary action needed to stop from happening what he says will happen, it is utterly meaningless...but if he does take that action...he will be espousing pre-emptive warfare. Will people be as lenient if that is his choice? Will people judge him as harshly as Bush over pre-emptive warfare?

I doubt it...but we will see how it plays out...my guess is that the scond he starts bombing, we will hear unanimous support from many here, who doubtless would have voiced near unanimous condemnation if the previous bad president and his cabal had done it.

Elmer Gantry

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Direct from the horse's mouth.

(notes from the campaign trail)

"We have seen Afghanistan worsen, deteriorate. We need more troops there. We need more resources there ... I would send two to three additional brigades to Afghanistan".... Barack Obama (Sept. 26, 2008)

"Our nation is fighting two wars. There are terrorists who are determined to kill as many Americans as they can. The world's most dangerous weapons risk falling into the wrong hands. And that is why the single greatest priority of my presidency will be doing anything and everything that I can to keep the American people safe.

Our military is overstretched in Iraq. We have nearly 150,000 troops in Iraq, many on their second, third, or fourth tour of duty. Meanwhile, Afghanistan is sliding towards chaos, and risks turning into a narco-terrorist state. The Taliban is on the offensive in the south. A recent Taliban prison break in Kandahar freed hundreds of militants, and underscored the volatile situation on the ground. The coalition casualties in Afghanistan last month were higher than in Iraq. That's the result of the Bush-McCain approach to the war on terrorism... We need more resources in Afghanistan. I have been arguing for this since 2002, when I said that we should finish the fight against al Qaeda and the Taliban instead of going into Iraq".... Barack Obama, June 18, 2008

There's a couple of curious things going on here.

"Meanwhile, Afghanistan is sliding towards chaos, and risks turning into a narco-terrorist state."
Firstly, why would sending more US troops to get rid of the Taliban be seen as a way of averting Afghanistan turning into a Narco-terrorst state? The Taliban are the only leaders that have ever successfully shut the opium trade down. In 2000, the total opium output of Afghanistan was reduced by 94% to only 74 tons. A year later, the "coalition of the willing" stumbles in, overthrows the Tali, and opium trade roars back to life and today supplies more than 90% of the worlds supply again.

"The world's most dangerous weapons risk falling into the wrong hands."
Who does he think he's kidding by including any mention of such weapons and Afghanistan in the same sentence? There are none in that country and never have been to anyones knowledge. Pakistan has them but are under lock and key as long as the more extreme edges of the political spectrum don't overthrow the pro-West govt. there. The neo-con wet dream of nuclear weapons labs in caves is just that, a wet dream.

So what's the point and why so much support when the Iraq war is so hated?

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Actually I do recall the campaign promise... amazing he chose this one to hold to, and cast a bunch aside out of the gate.

However, like the OP... it's the peaceniks that thought this kid could do no wrong... and he's continue a military presence in the Middle East with our young men and women.

I just want to see an opinion or two from an Obamabot, that says... I voted for him, and I hate that he's continuing this...

Get naked, lube up and wait. Eventually, someone will come along. You'll find one. Maybe two. Though you'll be more likely to get a rant on YouTube that'll get you off than you will on here.

But the point is that anyone who really listened to what Obama, the realist, as opposed to Obama, the campaigner (oh, and yes, face, I am willing to make the admission that every poitician ramps it up a bit during an election, although Obama far less than some) was saying has been thus far very true to form. Will he have to make concessions of a greater or smaller nature in the future to get his greater goals accomplished? Of course. Will he stay true to himself and the greater 'us'? Yes.

Will you be able to sow discord or doubt here with this ridiculous drivel? No. It, and you, are absolutely pointless. And you know this. I'm of course, not saying this for you at all since you live for this shit.

Although I'll probably continue to come up from the bottom of my clear mountain stream halfway to your bait in the future with these absurd threads, your worm has never excited me even slightly. Keep dropping them, though. Good news is it always floats down stream.

Last edited:

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]
[/FONT]http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090217/D96DJ2V80.html[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]I'm dying to hear from the pillow-biters in these parts, the justification for ANY military action in the Middle East....
[/FONT]

God, face, you pick and choose what you want to hear, quote, remember and regurgitate.
Obama said all along that we needed to draw down in Iraq, which was an unjustified war, and increase our commitment in Afghanistan, to combat terrorism. There's no change in game plan, no surprise, here.

And thanks for the lovely 'pillow-biter' reference. That was charming in your typical fashion.

He's so obsessed with that reference. He must want his pillow bitten::post:

... pillow biters.... please...

Oh lordy.. PYM... you know how much of a bed-wetting red doper diaper baby pillow biting liberal most of the readers are

pillow-biting lefties ...

pillow-biting liberals

Too phucking funny... typical pillow-biting liberal Orwellian fucking spin...

pillow-biting bed wetting liberals.

Well done 3pod... well done. Good to see pillow-biting libs even call out the Rev Jackson for the sham he is, has been, and always will be...

http://www.lpsg.org/1914317-post43.html

Hmmm, guessing you are a pillow biting bed-wetting lib... so can we surmise Barrah and Sista Nancy.. and the havoc they'll reek (moreover, the lack thereof?).

God we need a multi-party system for the mindless souls.

latino411

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As of 5/09, Obama is no Dove. Ask, the pirates in Africa, ask the Taliban in Pakistan, and ask the creditors of Chrysler.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just me but Afghanistan and where Obama wants to take this is the Korean and Vietnam war all over again. Send 17,000 more troops, what else would they do ? Not like anyone's hiring much after a 1.75 trillion bailout. GM Chrysler, and what he was trying to save, shut down and ultimately sold off. With whatever Obama commits to, he's on a time table, just like Bush. So, I really don't mind anyone else holding him accountable and responsible for his time line. He needs to have one, even expect him to name his date. And if it pushes even just 1 second beyond that it's time for the revised plan to be open and public knowledge.

You know what I figured $ 4+/gallon of gas was for ? Well they ran a news piece the other day, those that were held at Guantanamo, they returned to Saudi Arabia, seems the Saudi's want these people to have homes, new cars and so on. We funded that, is it a payoff/payback for holding them for torture and in keeping them in prison for that long ? It's part of the big push to pay them off to come to see our side of things, see it our way ? Wonder if paying them right along the way all along would've minimized the suffering, guess it was the cheapest way to break the "jihad" effort down ?

Last edited: