Obama's Hail Mary

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
McCain has pulled them right and left but I have thought for about 1 week that there will be an endorsement that will for once and all, end the lack of foreign policy experience debate. That endorsement, for Obama will come from General David Petraeus.

It has been my contention throughout this entire campaign that the emphasis on "winning" and "loosing" in Iraq, the same old John Wayne or sports analogy when it concerns the lives of real people who we are supposedly over there to liberate and empower to form their own government, is not our war to win or loose, it is theirs.

This morning on NBC's Meet the Press, Tom Brokaw talked about a statement from General Petraeus from 9/11//08 that says:
"he did not know that he would ever use the word "victory" [about Iraq]; ""This is not the sort of struggle where you take a hill, plant the flag and go home to a victory parade . . . it's not war with a simple slogan,"" said Petraeus.

Think about this for a second. This statement strikes at the very heart of what McCain has been "preaching" the entire campaign, "winning in Iraq," "allowing our troops to come home victorious."

I keep wondering why the Obama campaign has not really used this quote even though it has been out there for 2 weeks. Of course, I live in AZ that has been written off by the Obama campaign and we see very few Obama ads at all even though McCain ads saturate the TV and radio markets. Has anyone else in the country seen or heard of an Obama ad that speaks about this Petraeus quote?

If not, I am thinking they are saving this for a formal Petraeus announcement. An announcement that will turn everyone who has concerns about Obama and Iraq over to his side because McCain speaks of General David Petraeus like he is Jesus Christ with almost every word out of his mouth.

Are Generals allowed to give political endorsements? If not, how else would this be handled? I don't see that he has anything to loose and in fact, everything to gain now that he is the "Head Honch" for the entire (U.S. Central Command) Southeast Asia and the Middle East in October. If he sees the need for working closely with the next President who holds a more realistic and cooperative approach to World affairs instead of wanting to jump into wars with anyone who disagrees with him (despite our lack of troops and failing economy), what stops him from endorsing Obama?

Is it because Obama wants to start withdrawing troops and Petraeus wants to leave them in?

What do you think? Will Obama use this statement to their advantage or will they let another excellent opportunity pass them by?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
On September 16, 2008, Petraeus formally gave over his command in Iraq to General Raymond T. Odierno in a government ceremony presided by Defense Secretary Robert Gates......so he may not be in control in Iraq any longer BUT he is still a general..........being one, He is not allowed to make an endorsement unless he RETIRES...which he hasn't done

amygdala

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's a nice thought but, as you said, Petreaus was just elevated to Commander of U.S. Central Command and, as such, it is unlikely that he intends to resign his commission any time soon. That said, the rules governing the political activities of active service military preclude his ability to give such an endorsement. Those rules can be found here:

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/134410p.pdf

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Shooter... the other thing that has happened is that the war has become the least important issue of the campaign - it's near the bottom. However, the economy is the lightning issue of the campaign. Never forget what BC said, "It's the economy, stupid" - it rang true then and it rings true today.

Last edited: