Obama's "minister"?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Lightkeeper, Mar 13, 2008.

1. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

In my opinion this guy (not Obama) is an idiot and should not preach in a Church. He's not preaching the word of God but words of hate and anger.
    I believe Obama's association with this radical will hurt his campaign.

With guys like this in the pupit, no wonder many don't attend Churches.

2. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    I saw this on the news too. That guy was nuts. Hil must be jumping for joy. If this is indeed who Omam follows that is troublesome for his run..and should be

3. Corius

Corius New Member

Do you know this minister? Have you heard him preach? Have you read what he has written or only what someone else is reporting? Do you know anything about the congregation for whom his preaching is meant? Would these people agree with the assessment you make of him? Why? Why not?
    This minister has been quite successful in gathering a large congregation. In what way have you discovered what he has been preaching to be out of harmony with the teaching of Jesus and the followers of Jesus? IN SHORT WHAT I AM SAYING IS: DON'T CONDEMN THE MAN OR HIS MESSAGE UNTIL YOU ARE SURE ABOUT BOTH.

4. gjorg

Gold Member

Did you at least enjoy the KOOL-AID?

5. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

just want to say, I have no clue what any of this is about and I'm usually tuned in to the latest breaking news on Obama, as an avid supporter.

6. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

link - source - cite?

7. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

YES! Fox News talk radio all day carried excerpts from his sermons (?)/speeches of hate and anger. Tonight Bill O'Reily showed videos of this nut. Hopefully the I.R.S. will investigate his tax-free status.

8. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's on CNN right now...it's pretty out there.

I'd qualify it as ignorance...or at least pandering to the ignorant.

As to any effect it might have on Obama's campaign, i can't imagine it being significant. You can't judge the candidates by what unaffiliated supporters (or detractors) preach.

9. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

someone post a link, please?

10. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

is this what everyone is talking about?

YouTube - Obama Spiritual Mentor: God Damn America

they really are REACHING to find something divisive about him, if that's the best that they can do. I think it's nothing. Seems like standard gospel. Or we can talk about how we're not worthy, with the guilt of the catholic church, being guilty of our thoughts :rolleyes:

11. gjorg

Gold Member

But you can judge a man by the preacher he stands by!

12. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    One's pastor of 20 years isn't exactly an "unaffiliated supporter", IMO. He seems to have drawn plenty of "inspiration" from the whack-job over the years as well.

---------------------------------------------

Chicago Tribune | January 21, 2007

REV. JEREMIAH A. WRIGHT, JR.: Pastor inspires Obama's 'audacity' -- chicagotribune.com

"When Obama sought his own church community, he felt increasingly at home at Trinity. Before leaving for Harvard Law School in 1988, he responded to one of Wright's altar calls and declared a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Later he would base his 2004 keynote speech to the Democratic National Convention on a Wright sermon called "Audacity to Hope," --also the inspiration for Obama's second memoir, "The Audacity of Hope."

Though Wright and Obama do not often talk one-on-one often, the senator does check with his pastor before making any bold political moves.

Last fall, Obama approached Wright to broach the possibility of running for president. Wright cautioned Obama not to let politics change him, but he also encouraged Obama, win or lose."

13. D_Duane Pipe

D_Duane Pipe New Member

I would agree, but this preacher isn't unaffiliated. He's no longer pastor at his church and is now part of Obama's entourage, which was at Obama's request.

This preacher is nothing short of a racist and if this stuff keeps getting out, it will hurt Barack. Because I do agree that he is out there.

14. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

I disagree with the preacher is an indication of one's character.

I think about this with mom's catholicism before she switched faiths. Going to mass and all the guilt, etc.

The Catholic church hid pedophile priests for DECADES, by moving them from parish to parish. JFK drew criticism for being a catholic, but the church hiding pedophiles in the priesthood wasn't in the public conscience.

Is every priest in the catholic church, a pedophile? NO!

So this notion that Obama's minister is a reflection of Obama's character is a gross exaggeration.

Obama commented on his minister saying, "he's like an uncle that says things that you disagree with." Though one sermon at a church isn't relevant to his candidacy, his minister's sermons aren't on his platform, nor is his minister campaigning for him. It's just not relevant.

It's not helpful, but his minister isn't saying anything about the campaign or Obama's run for office.

Jon Stewart was talking about this recently on the Daily Show (Ferraro and Obama's minister: "psst. you're not helping."

15. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Thankfully more and more news medias are reporting this story. Voters can decide for themselves.

16. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
  17. invisibleman

Gold Member

I drink Gatorade not Haterade.

18. chavous

chavous New Member

I Am Now Unsure About Voting For Obama Due To Sitting In This Man's Church For 20 Years!

19. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    for people who can't bother clicking links:
    On My Faith and My Church

Posted March 14, 2008

The pastor of my church, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who recently preached his last sermon and is in the process of retiring, has touched off a firestorm over the last few days. He's drawn attention as the result of some inflammatory and appalling remarks he made about our country, our politics, and my political opponents.
    Let me say at the outset that I vehemently disagree and strongly condemn the statements that have been the subject of this controversy. I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies. I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit. In sum, I reject outright the statements by Rev. Wright that are at issue.

Because these particular statements by Rev. Wright are so contrary to my own life and beliefs, a number of people have legitimately raised questions about the nature of my relationship with Rev. Wright and my membership in the church. Let me therefore provide some context.
    As I have written about in my books, I first joined Trinity United Church of Christ nearly twenty years ago. I knew Rev. Wright as someone who served this nation with honor as a United States Marine, as a respected biblical scholar, and as someone who taught or lectured at seminaries across the country, from Union Theological Seminary to the University of Chicago. He also led a diverse congregation that was and still is a pillar of the South Side and the entire city of Chicago. It's a congregation that does not merely preach social justice but acts it out each day, through ministries ranging from housing the homeless to reaching out to those with HIV/AIDS.
    Most importantly, Rev. Wright preached the gospel of Jesus, a gospel on which I base my life. In other words, he has never been my political advisor; he's been my pastor. And the sermons I heard him preach always related to our obligation to love God and one another, to work on behalf of the poor, and to seek justice at every turn.
    The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments. But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church.
    Let me repeat what I've said earlier. All of the statements that have been the subject of controversy are ones that I vehemently condemn. They in no way reflect my attitudes and directly contradict my profound love for this country.
    With Rev. Wright's retirement and the ascension of my new pastor, Rev. Otis Moss, III, Michelle and I look forward to continuing a relationship with a church that has done so much good. And while Rev. Wright's statements have pained and angered me, I believe that Americans will judge me not on the basis of what someone else said, but on the basis of who I am and what I believe in; on my values, judgment and experience to be President of the United States.

Barack Obama

20. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    I saw this article. I was still taken back. I mean on the one hand he says the man really knows his gospel...yet Obama disagress with his content of the speech. Well it just seems that this type of thought process is not going to be unbiased in examing the gospel. He says it does not relate to his relationship of 20 years with this church. Well am I to believe this was not the content or at least some of the preaching? It is a concern.

The person above asks have I seen this minister to make an evaluation. Yes, I watched the sermon he put forth on the news. I think the speech speaks for itself.

To be clear, I voted for Obama already. I think he is a good man in general. But it doesn't mean that I can't change my mind if new info comes out on the company one keeps. We evaluate people based on this everyday and with good reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted