Obama's "skip work"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_Lightkeeper, Oct 28, 2008.

1. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

What's with his urging people to take a day off from work on voting day?

Is it so his Acorn supporters can be free to vote....and vote....and vote? :confused:

2. davec94

davec94 Member

He wants people to get out and vote. if they are at work, they are more likely to not do that. What's there to be confused about?

3. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Eh, I do not support his saying this and think it should be up to the individual. However, I believe there should be a national election day where people do not work and concentrate on their civic duties.

Do the people who support Acorn work?
    I would think they would be too busy frying chicken or selling crack? :confused:

4. davec94

davec94 Member

What? He isn't compelling people to take a day off work, it is still up to the individual.

5. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

It is ultimately their choice, but I disagree with his calling on people to do so.

6. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

LOL! That probably sums it up nicely!

7. Florida Boy

Gold Member

You know what they say, "Vote early and vote often."

All kidding aside, I've done it in previous elections. I especially plan to do it this time. Any help I can be, I'll be. It's not enough just to have his sticker on your car.

8. davec94

davec94 Member

fair enough, i personally agree with it and think it should be statutory.

9. HungBoyRN

HungBoyRN New Member

Doesn't the law already require employers to give people whose shifts conflict with the polling hours enough time off to go vote? I see no reason why one would need an entire day off from work to vote. I didn't hear Obama suggest this, but if he did he's promoting irresponsibility. Not to mention that it's not necessary: I discovered that I'm working next Tues so I planned ahead and voted early yesterday. I'd assume this same option is available nationwide.

10. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

More idiocy... and ignorance..
    In 2006 McCain gave a speech before ACRON praising the work they did to get voters on the rolls.

Acorn knew full well that some of the applications were bogus... but election law PASSED by McCain give Acorn NO choice... they MUST hand over ALL registrations filled out, even the obviously bullshit ones...even the inocmplete and unsigned ones...

ACORN is not allowed to vet what is or is not a valid registration... to prevent potential fraud.
    The Election commission reviews the registrations and which will and won't be accepted.

So if you want to pick an "issue" try looking for an actual issue... Acorn has done nothing but fully comply with election law.

And Obama wants you to take a day off work because, every election, a lot of folks complain that they MEANT to vote, but got busy at work and lost track of time and didn't get around to it.

This election could see the largest voter turnout in many many years.

Me- I don't have to take the day off- I mailed in my vote a week ago.

11. davec94

davec94 Member

The law does, but situations at work arise that keep people there, or tire them out so that they just don't bother, especially if they don't work close to a polling station. Early voting is not available nationwide and varies state-by-state. I don't see how encouraging someone to take a vacation day counts as 'irresponsibility' - in fact making arrangements to ensure you exercise your democratic vote is very responsible. And I think we know that the lines to vote this year are going to be looong.

Draft saved Draft deleted