Obama's wife is Proud of America...

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
for the first time in her adult life.

Barack Obama’s wife, Michelle, is under fire for leaving the impression that she hasn’t been proud of her country until now, when Democrats are beginning to rally around her husband’s campaign.

Speaking in Milwaukee, Wis., on Monday, she said, “People in this country are ready for change and hungry for a different kind of politics and … for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback.”

Greeted with rousing applause after making the comment in Milwaukee, Obama delivered an amended version of the speech later that day in Madison, Wis.

“For the first time in my adult lifetime, I’m really proud of my country … not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change,” she said. “I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction and just not feeling so alone in my frustration and disappointment.”

Obama was born in 1964, meaning her adult life began in 1982. Critics quickly seized on the newfound national pride.

“I am proud of my country,” John McCain’s wife, Cindy, said at a campaign stop in Brookfield, Wis., Tuesday. “I don’t know if you heard those words earlier … but I am very proud of my country.”

During a follow up press conference, the Arizona senator was asked if they were responding to Michelle Obama and he deferred to his wife.
McCain responded: “I just wanted to make the statement that I have and always will be proud of my country.”

Obama campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the candidate’s wife wasn’t trying to knock her country, only underscore the meaning behind her husband’s campaign.

“The point is that of course Michelle is proud of her country, which is why she and Barack talk constantly about how their story wouldn’t be possible in any other nation on Earth,” she said. “What she meant is that she’s really proud at this moment because for the first time in a long time, thousands of Americans who’ve never participated in politics before are coming out in record numbers to build a grassroots movement for change.”

But conservative outlets aren’t so ready to let her off the hook.
“Can it really be there has not been a moment during that time when she felt proud of her country?” reads an article in Commentary magazine. “Forget matters like the victory in the Cold War; how about only things that have made liberals proud — all the accomplishments of inclusion? How about the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1991? Or Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s elevation to the Supreme Court?”

The article then says Michelle Obama’s comments suggest “the pseudo-messianic nature of the Obama candidacy is very much a part of the way the Obamas themselves are feeling.”
Weekly Standard Editor Bill Kristol said the comment “was sort of revealing.”

“She was an adult when we won the Cold War without firing a shot. She was an adult for the last 25 years of economic progress, social progress,” he told FOX News. “I think the Democrats have to be careful … they’re running against the status quo … You have to be careful not to let that slide into a kind of indictment of America. Because I don’t think the American people think on the whole that the last 25 years of American history is a narrative of despair and nothing to be proud of.”
Democratic strategist Bob Beckel said Obama “shouldn’t have said it the way she said it” but she gets the benefit of his doubt. He added that she most likely was just referring to the grassroots movement that’s swelled to support her husband, but she needs to be more careful.
“The Obama’s have to recognize they are now front-runners, and everything they say, it’s now open hunting season for people,” he said.​

Michelle Obama Takes Heat for Saying She’s ‘Proud of My Country’ for the First Time - You Decide 08!

bobabooey69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
God forbid people question their country.
Unless you are a flag waving, red/white and blue zealot....you are unAmerican.

http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_dancer/samflag.jpg

Fuckin' bullshit.

America is not the land of the free.
It's not the land of endless opportunity.
It's not the greatest country in the world.

Period.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
God forbid people question their country.
Unless you are a flag waving, red/white and blue zealot....you are unAmerican.

http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_dancer/samflag.jpg

Fuckin' bullshit.

America is not the land of the free.
It's not the land of endless opportunity.
It's not the greatest country in the world.

Period.

So leave, go to the land of the free and go to the greatest country in the world. The great thing about America is that the door is always open for you to go.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
So leave, go to the land of the free and go to the greatest country in the world. The great thing about America is that the door is always open for you to go.

I've said this before: isn't dissent a higher form of patriotism?

Since when has "America: Love It or Leave It" been anything but a leaf from the Spiro Agnew songbook?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've said this before: isn't dissent a higher form of patriotism?

Since when has "America: Love It or Leave It" been anything but a leaf from the Spiro Agnew songbook?

NO it is reality. Why stay in a place you hate, when you think there is something better out there? Only a fool would do that.

Remember what Sam Kinison said about Ethiopia. You live in a Fucking desert, go to where the food is. It's funny cause it's true.

BearGut340

Just Browsing
Media
Why do I have to be proud of the place I live in?

I've definitely been ASHAMED to be an American for the last seven years.

I've made a conscious choice to NOT travel overseas until "Dumb W" is out of office. And I still may sew a Canadian maple leaf onto my jacket when I go overseas.

bobabooey69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Seriously, what are you? 12? Did you even read what I wrote?
No country is perfect, and for people that claim that this country is, are delusional.

Go make some more useless polls.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Seriously, what are you? 12? Did you even read what I wrote?
No country is perfect, and for people that claim that this country is, are delusional.

Go make some more useless polls.

I told you not to be stupid, you moron, shut up, sit down.

He's pissing me off with this 10 weeks of vacation.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
NO it is reality. Why stay in a place you hate, when you think there is something better out there? Only a fool would do that.

Remember what Sam Kinison said about Ethiopia. You live in a Fucking desert, go to where the food is. It's funny cause it's true.

Why should everything be so black and white? I am an American by birth and (supposedly) have as much say in its governance as anyone else. If I disagree with the status quo, it's my patriotic duty to work for change.

And perhaps the change will reflect me as a human being for the first time in my life. Perhaps the change I help effectuate will make this country a safer and more inclusive place not just for me but for millions of previously disenfranchised Americans just like me.

Why is your version of the American Dream the only one that matters?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Why should everything be so black and white? I am an American by birth and (supposedly) have as much say in its governance as anyone else. If I disagree with the status quo, it's my patriotic duty to work for change.

And perhaps the change will reflect me as a human being for the first time in my life. Perhaps the change I help effectuate will make this country a safer and more inclusive place not just for me but for millions of previously disenfranchised Americans just like me.

Why is your version of the American Dream the only one that matters?[/quote]

I never said it was.

I said that if you find a country that is better than the one that you live in, you owe it to yourself to go there, if you can.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mem ,

AMericans are not monolithic. One of our greatest assets is the ability to disagree with things we see that go on in our country and still be an American free of being put in jail for freedom of speech. She could be saying this for many reasons. We all know that any day of the week there are shameless acts being committed. I can fully understand what she means. I am in her age group and I am so tickled that we have gotten to the point that a woman and a person of color are in the front running positions for the democratic party and people are finally voting according to their consciences and not because it fits the status quo. We have been more than capable of having a woman president or a president of color be it black, asian, native american, or latin for years and it is sad that we even have to think this is revolutionary.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View

Why is your version of the American Dream the only one that matters?[/quote]

I never said it was.

I said that if you find a country that is better than the one that you live in, you owe it to yourself to go there, if you can.

That's pure bullshit. You don't just say if you don't like it leave.

The meaning of being an American is being able to say there's something not quite right, I don't like this or that, and to have the empowerment to change things (in a democratic process) for the better. That premise is built somewhere in the country's very origins, if I'm not mistaken.

That is what we "owe" to ourselves.

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
America love it or leave it! Thats for assholes and country singers. Its not the greatest but it will do. Do you think Sweden,Finland,Germany,Austrailia,Ireland,New Zealand or a thousand other countries are that bad? Then who is delusional?
This was just another way to say ,I don't have a good answer so leave. I cry at The Star Spangled Banner but maybe for different reasons.