Originally posted by txquis@Sep 23 2004, 11:32 AM
I agree Hockeytiger.

Have you found that more and more stores
are becoming more of a "superstore"
and less of a specialty store?

That is kind of disheartening.

when i lived in NYC there were many
specialty type stores....mystery bookshops,
childrens bookstores (i worked at one)....
even specialty video stores....etc, etc, etc.

But away from the cities,
it seems as though chains all have a sameness...

The place i work does not sell software,
for example, but it is certainly in discussion...
We sell some school supplies (to a degree) now, too...
Perhaps the consumer
expects one-stop-shopping everywhere now.
[post=257206]Quoted post[/post]​

As our society becomes more and more regulated, companies that take advantage of the economies of scale will generally have an advantage over those that utilize economies of scope. I grew up in rural MN, very rural MN. The nearest town had less than 500 people in it. When I have gone home I have seen many more of the large superstores and it is a shame. My first job was in a mom and pop grocery, and it is currently being squeezed out by a mega-superstore that opened in the county seat. It was just kind of sad and brought back many good memories. Not the least of which was having sex with my first girlfriend in the office after closing, or bringing some skin mags home and my brothers and I "enjoying" them. :p

The idea of expanding to software isn't bad. If I still went to bookstores, I would definitely peruse the software section.

LuckyLuke

Experimental Member
Media
The fall of customer service seems to be related to the "champagne taste - beer budget" syndrome.

That is to say, people seem to expect quality 'customer service' - especially of the boutique variety, but they want it given to them at Costco, Walmart and McDonalds.

As for line-ups and movie theaters, I find it embarassing to be in the same lineup with some people! Amazing how many people expect the world to revolve around themselves.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by txquis@Sep 22 2004, 04:44 PM
[IM EDITING THIS POST BECAUSE IVE CAUSED A BIT OF CONFUSION
ABOUT MY INTENT. I HAVE NOTICED PEOPLE BEING RUDE IN PUBLIC MORE AND MORE...LESS PATIENT, MORE NEEDY...ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THAT TREND?]

When in public (either as a shopper, moviegoer, eating at a restaurant,
riding public transit, waiting in line),
I am polite, and I help myself.
But increasingly,I am *not* the norm.
Here are examples from each of my careers:

1) TEACHING- Many parents are not teaching their children to be responsible their behavior and decisions. Someone else is
*always* to blame. "I dont like my child's grade, there must be something wrong with this school". I knew several who *encouraged* their children to bully, and go against authority.

2) PERFORMING- Audiences at live theater no longer know how to react/behave. TV
has taught them to "talk back"...and "kick back".....as if they were in
their own living room. I've been in Broadway shows where people in the
front row chatted on their cell phones throughout the performance.

3)CUSTOMER SERVICE(*not really talking about telephone, but in restaurants and stores*)- Customers want instant service, and i guess the Amazon dot com has taught them to expect it. Patience is more thin when waiting in line to pay, or for a table.

4)RETAIL MANAGEMENT- People are more clueless as to how to behave in restaurants, and retail stores....they breast feed, they change diapers, they let kids run rampant and unattended,
they leave garbage on the floor, and
ruin merchandise...opening sealed packaging, etc...they
scream profanities in front of little children,
and most, i insist,
want personal shoppers. "Fetch this list of things for me".

WHAT IS HAPPENING? i'm appalled at the increasing rudeness of the
public at large,
and it is becoming
the majority.
I don't usually rant, but does anyone else know
of what I speak?
[post=257059]Quoted post[/post]​
I think this belongs to Miss Manners probably alot more than us, though your list is extensive and not without warrant.