Observations from the street

Penis Aficionado

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
This is going to take me a while to get my thoughts down, so I apologize in advance.

I recently found myself hanging out in the notorious party district/meat market of my town, and also, a few days before that, on the campus of the state university here. In short, two of the places in town where you would expect to see lots of beautiful young people of both genders. I spent considerable time just watching people pass by in both places, and here's what really struck me:

Most of the girls, two-thirds if not more, were pretty hot. I'm speaking objectively, not in reference to my particular preferences or types. Sure, a lot were overweight, some had bad complexions, a few were pale and anorexic. But even those girls somehow compensated for their "flaws." They just carried themselves in a way that said: "I'm hot, I know I'm hot, and if you don't think I'm hot it's your loss."

On the other hand, I found maybe 5% of the guys remotely attractive (again, trying to judge by society's prevalent standards). At least half the guys were significantly overweight. And unlike with the girls, this seemed to deprive them of any concern about their appearance generally. It's as if they just said, "Well, I'm fat. That's that, so fuck it." Of the guys with decent bodies, many had really unattractive faces -- beady eyes, sinister brows, hawkish noses and such. And many others just had a coldness, creepiness or sullenness about their faces that's hard to describe but extremely unappealing (this, I admit, might be something I see but no one else does.) So maybe 5% of guys are really hot, and if you want hot AND charming, that's what, 1 or 2 percent?

Then I think I understood a major difference between straight men and straight women. Guys know that what they want is out there, in dizzying abundance. They might not get it, on a given night, but they'll go back out the next night and try again, because, like with fishing, the lake is full of 'em and and eventually one's going to bite. Whereas girls -- and conversations with my female friends seem to back this up -- might not see anything they want for quite a while. And when they do find one of those rare guys -- one of the 1 or 2 percent -- and make a connection with him, it's a terrific thrill. And if it goes further, and the girl has sex with one of these beautiful, charming guys, it will likely be one of the most memorable experiences of her life.

So, would you ladies agree with this assessment generally? Does it relate to your own experiences in the world of men?

Number 51

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
More simply, it's just because overall men are much more visually stimulated than women. Therefore, women tend to care for their personal appearances a lot more because they know that's what gets men's attentions. On the other hand, men don't feel the need to do that much for their personal appearances because they know that it doesn't matter nearly as much for women.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
hmmm...the whole debate of whether men are more visual or not.

But about the OP, there is a "meat market" area near me with a lot of clubs. And I agree, a lot of the girls are a little overweight, but they are still young (20's) and they dress well to show off what they have and get "dolled up" with their hair and makeup. I don't think a lot of those women have much to offer other than their looks.

But I don't have such a grim view of the men their. Some of them dress well enough and have a good look in spite of being out-of-shape. But you are correct that a lot of them are as you describe.

Even though people say they are their to socialize and meet people, I think in general they are still relatively young and fear real intimacy. They will hook up or whatever, but most don't really want a deep connection. It's basically about getting drunk and hooking up.

I'm not sure if I addressed the question.