OCD and Drinking

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I'm just curious. Does anyone else get kinda OCD when they get drunk?

Me, I'm forever scrubbing my hands across my face, and I tend to get the munchies when I'm drunk. It's not that I'm really HUNGRY, or anything, but it's just the act of reaching for something and putting it in my mouth.

anyone else do the same?

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
My only obsession when I've had too much to drink, is to look like I haven't had too much too drink. Apparently this looks hilarious, but drinking brings out the control freak in me.

D_5f465

Just Browsing
Media
I am sorry but none of this is OCD when you have OCD you preform certian rituals to relieve the anxiety that people with OCD suffer. I know this as I suffer from OCD

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Yeah. Maybe some people are good about locking down that sort of anxiety when sober, but when they're drunk, the roadblocks leave, and they do what they like.

whatsinthebox

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am sorry but none of this is OCD when you have OCD you preform certian rituals to relieve the anxiety that people with OCD suffer. I know this as I suffer from OCD

A fellow OC here... do you find alcohol actually reducing the anxiety and relaxing your need to initiate compulsions? I've heard for different sufferers it can have different effects. For me, though, alcohol always relieved much of my OCD-related anxiety (though OCD and non OCD-related anxiety tend to blur into indistinguishability at some point for me)

kenny233

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have OCD, with some things particularly more than others, and I feel like drinking helps me relax and not feel as anxious about my obsessions. So for me, I do not think drinking perpetuates my OCD tendencies.

jeunessedoree

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm a little confused on the logic here. OCD is an anxiety-based illness, and the amount of stress and overall brain activity of an individual directly corresponds to the number of negative stimuli present.

Alcohol is a depressant that dulls the senses and decreases brain activity. So why would an inebriated obsessive-compulsive who is has slowed brain activity be more affected by negative stimuli than when sober?

LittleDicky

LPSG Legend
Media
Me, I'm forever scrubbing my hands across my face, and I tend to get the munchies when I'm drunk. It's not that I'm really HUNGRY, or anything, but it's just the act of reaching for something and putting it in my mouth.

I'm another one who doesn't get the OCD connection.

But, alcohol IS KNOWN to stimulate the appetite -- even if you really don't feel hungry.

Part or the mechanism is that alcohol is a diuretic (makes you pee). When you lose urine, you lose other things.

The body is constantly trying to balance its water with its sodium, potassium, and other minerals. The result may be food cravings -- particularly salty snacks.