OCD - I have it, do you?

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have never been diagnosed with OCD, but I know what your speaking of NJ. I, like Viking, also have a habit of checking and double checking door locks. I've worked very hard at getting a system down every morning, so that I can pull away from the house worry free.

My dad also did this when we were kids...He'd quadruple check that lock so much...that we actually wore out locks because he'd always 'Jiggle' the lock to make sure it was good.

If your not on meds, you might want to look into them - IF its controlling your life or spiraling out of control.

Germs are just Germs. They make us stronger. People that are Germaphobes tend to get worse sickness than others who are not, since their bodies don't have the built up resistance.

Just remember that Thousands of people suffer from this exhausting trait, but don't let it get you down.

The checking is the only thing that bugs me. I think in all the time I've been responsible for keys I've only ever left the door unlocked once or twice, but I still make sure.

I'm certainly not in a position where I need meds though. I'm aware of what I'm doing and how it makes me feel so I don't let it run my life. I'm not one of those people who spend hours checking that they've done something and end up not being able to do anything at all.

When it comes to germs etc, again, I've got a fairly healthy attitude towards them, having been a micorbiologist in the past. I've got a pretty good cleaning routine, but I don't obsess about it and I also don't sterilise everything. Dealing with bacteria, yeasts and viruses is something that's very important to your immune system and I think hypercleanliness is actually counterproductive.

I hadn't thought of collecting books as being anything unusual. I've got just about every book I've ever bought. I had a bit of a clear out a couple of years ago when I moved house because I didn't have as much space and sold a couple of hundred on Amazon, but I've still got most of them. The only ones I sold were books I hadn't really enjoyed and wouldn't read again. Some are like old friends, books I grew up with that saw me through my teenage years, and I'd never get rid of them. In fact, some of them I've actually got multiple copies of because I've read them so many times, but couldn't bear to throw the old ones away as they wore out! One of my sisters is exactly the same though, so it's probably a family thing. Saying that, she's the one who's got the handwashing compulsion too so maybe we're both a bit crazy. Still, we both function all right, so it's obviously not a problem.

As for going barefoot outdoors, no way. I grew up in the country, surrounded by sheep, dogs and cattle and if that weren't enough, there were nettles and thistles to contend with too. Billy Connolly's song about wellies sums it up pretty well for me:

If it wasnae for your wellies where would you be?
You'd be in the hospital or infirmary
'Cause you would have a dose of the flu or even pleurisy
If you didnae have your feet in your wellies

Oh wellies they are wonderful, oh wellies they are swell
'Cause they keep out the water and they keep in the smell
And when you're sitting in a room you can always tell
When some bug*** takes off his wellies

Oh and when you're out walking in the country with a bird
And you're strolling over fields just like a farmer's herd
And somebody shouts, "Keep off the grass" and you think how absurd
and SQUELCH you find why farmers all wear wellies

There's fishermen and firemen, there's farmers and all
Men out digging ditches and working in the snow
This country it would grind to a halt and not a thing would grow
If it wasn't for the workers in their wellies

If it wasnae for your wellies where would you be?
You'd be in the hospital or infirmary
'Cause you would have a dose of the flu or even pleurisy
If you didnae have your feet in your wellies

Nrets

Experimental Member
Media
I have latent OCD, if that is at all possible. I remember at four years old hitting a tennis ball against a wall and the number of times I kept it going would be the number of years I would live. Nowadays it is just fleeting thoughts like "if I don't do this, I will never have sex...or fail at this or whatever.

But OCD for me is not nearly as extreme as it once was. Or perhaps it's all subconcious now.

Nrets

Experimental Member
Media
Oh yeah, and I do things in sets of ones twos or threes...in beats basically. I used to have to tap the bathroom ceiling a certain amount of times with three sets of distinct beats.

FYI, Joey Ramone was obsessive compulsive and Howard Stern and Howie Mandel are OCD.

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OCD is a way for people to relieve some of the underlying anxiety they experience on a constant basis. It restores order in their lives and gives them the sense of control that they feel is missing. These constant and repetitive actions give a great amount of comfort and, if measured, are not very different from petting and grooming (basic animal behaviour performed by many species to reduce anxiety and promote group socialization.) It only becomes a problem when these actions interfere with a normal and productive life. If counting window panes causes you to be consistently late for work, or if germ-avoidance causes you to become house-bound, then there is a problem. It seems to me that if one has to ask whether it is getting out of hand...it is. The best approach is to seek the cause for the underlying anxiety. Therapy should help.

In end, if life ain't broke, don't fix it. If it begins to fray, collect yourself and seek help. We've all been there.

135i

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I did more when I was younger - counting in even numbers, or in sections that would balance each other, of up down / left right -

On the other end it - I find that when I make a purchase I need to RESEARCH to the max, research again, compare and compare again.

I just bought a BMW 135i - and I'm still addicted to researching if I did the right thing, is the 328xi, 135i convertible or X3 better - :frown1:

But, I keep telling myself the 135i coupe is the one.... until about 10 minutes later - ha

maybe if I had a boyfriend to focus on - live would be much better :cool:

we are all normal... i could spend time taking drugs or something like that...

(different rims tho)

Attachments

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm sorry I have not had time to respond to this question sooner, but I've been busy sorting my socks by color and organizing my clothes in the closet by fabric from right to left and dark to light and arranging my spices and CD's in numeric order (there is nothing wrong with that) I like to be organized.
But seriously...I never had any serious anxiety problems until 9/11. I took Lexapro for about a year. Seemed to help because I developed a horrible fear of flying. I've since stopped taking it. I think if some action or behavior takes over your life then you need to address it. If not and you are not hurting anyone...I think too many people read a symptom of a disorder and assume it applies to them. When in most cases deep disorders of OCD weather it's depression or anxiety rarely apply to most. I think the prescription drug advertisers are targeting people who would be fine without taking it. But That's why they are one of the private sectors who are not on the brink of bankruptcy.
Got to go... Sunday is clean the vacuum cleaner and sanitize the door knob day.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I have OCD/TS. I am not on medication anymore but have been treated with both Prozac and Anafranil for OCD (treatment started at the age of 15).

I do have the counting thing, I go in multiples of 3s. I don't have germophobia, though. I engage more in ritualistic behaviourisms like touching things of a certain color or repeating words a certain number of times (echolalia and palilalia). Recently I developed a new OCD thing -- I have become obsessed with reading things backwards and sounding it out in my head. It is particularly difficult to deal with this while I am driving (billboards drive me nuts!). I have also been obsessed with things that repeat themselves before as well. And then there's my compulsive thoughts -- violent images I can't shake, terrible stuff. Lastly I am the worst about having to arrange things a certain way, and god forbid it get disrupted. Oh the horror!

Do think twice about meds for OCD, in case you're considering them. They zap you of libido and oftentimes cognitive behaviour therapy can work wonders and doesn't have all the chemical side effects.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to, I have it under control now, but when I was on adderall, I had mad OCD. Everything I touched I had to touch just right, or else I would have to go back and touch it again...it was bad

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I know some of you have issues with anxiety, OCD, and germ type stuff
What do you count, if you count?
What's your number that you count by?
Are you a germaphobe? About your person or your car, household etc.?
On call doctor? Why no, I don't have one.

OCD? You be the judge: LPSG.ORG - View Single Post - Clean Ears

And I count by eights. 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 72, 80, 88, 96, 104, 112, 120, 128, 136, 144, 152, 160, 168...I count the chips in chocolate chip cookies (among other things).

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to, I have it under control now, but when I was on adderall, I had mad OCD.
Everything I touched I had to touch just right, or else I would have to go back and touch it again...it was bad
Does the name Adrian Monk mean anything to you?

On call doctor? Why no, I don't have one.
OCD? You be the judge: LPSG.ORG - View Single Post - Clean Ears

And I count by eights. 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 72, 80, 88, 96, 104, 112, 120, 128, 136, 144, 152, 160, 168...I count the chips in chocolate chip cookies (among other things).
Eights? :confused: :tongue: That's all wrong, you should count by 3's like me. :biggrin1: