OCD rituals....

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For some reason, I always sniff the milk in a milk container, even if it's brand new. I also always check to see if my car door is really locked after I shut it. Anybody have any interesting tics (sp) or habits?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I always smell any dairy product. And I throw the bed linens back to make sure there is not a giant tarantula in the bed. (There was one once).

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I used to have a 'touching' ritual whereby if my left hand caught something, my right hand would have to too. It was also about equalling pressure, so not only would i have to touch something with both hands the same number of times but i would have to continue doing so until i had sense that the total pressure exerted by both hands was equal.
The same would be true if i scuffed my heel on the floor, i would deliberately scuff the other too.
That OCD lasted a couple of years in my mid-teens. I have an OCD now which i have had for the last 18 years and is just as weird.

I always smell milk too - the taste of sour milk aint worth the risk, so it's prolly sensible. I also smell fresh bread, but only cos it's nice. ;)

I have to check I've locked front doors - even if i know i have. It's like the reassurance that I've done it, just never comes lol. The neighbours must think I'm a right loon (if they didnt already).

Last edited by a moderator:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I always smell milk too - the taste of sour milk aint worth the risk, so it's prolly sensible. I also smell fresh bread, but only cos it's nice. ;)

I have to check I've locked front doors - even if i know i have. It's like the reassurance that I've done it, just never comes lol. The neighbours must think I'm a right loon (if they didnt already).

They dont think- they know :tongue:

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I check my doors after I've locked them, I beep my car alarm atleast twice every time I walk away from it. I do sniff my milk, unless it's chocolate premix because then I cannot tell, now I check the date before I drink it as well. I am ANAL about my teeth. I have a travel toothbrush I used to take to work with me. After I eat something I always want to brush my teeth. Now I work at home so I can brush whenever I want. I like all of the labels on the cans in the cubby to face out so I can read them immediately.

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
I check my doors after I've locked them, I beep my car alarm atleast twice every time I walk away from it. I do sniff my milk, unless it's chocolate premix because then I cannot tell, now I check the date before I drink it as well. I am ANAL about my teeth. I have a travel toothbrush I used to take to work with me. After I eat something I always want to brush my teeth. Now I work at home so I can brush whenever I want. I like all of the labels on the cans in the cubby to face out so I can read them immediately.

Marry me!!!, we are so suited.:biggrin1:

concupisys

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
um, i wouldn't say they're terribly humiliating, i just have many of them.... i guess it's because people like me thrive on routines and rituals.... it starts with my morning coffee, then my morning constitutional, i have a routine in the way i shower, leaving for work at an exact time, etc.... etc....

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I used to have a 'touching' ritual whereby if my left hand caught something, my right hand would have to too. It was also about equalling pressure, so not only would i have to touch something with both hands the same number of times but i would have to continue doing so until i had sense that the total pressure exerted by both hands was equal.
The same would be true if i scuffed my heel on the floor, i would deliberately scuff the other too.
I was the exact same way! I'd be at it for hours trying to equalize everything.

I can't stand to see anything out of place: crooked pictures, garbage on the floor, the spines of books not facing outward when in a book shelf, anything with a front that's reversed (ie. the back of a cereal box; I need the front to be facing me if I can see it).

If I'm reading and there's a clock nearby, I'll check it every few seconds. I also can't have anything in my peripheral vision when I'm reading, so I intentionally hide the bookmark under the book and clear everything away from me.

I used to eat cereal every morning for breakfast. Bowl in front of me, spoon on the right, milk to the right of the spoon and cereal (with the front facing me) sitting just behind the bowl. Once I was done eating, I'd put everything away.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I lock the car door and house doors automatically, even if its noon and i just let the dogs in the backyard for a minute. I lock the doors if i am in my home. I always check the door handle to see if the car dar is locked. I smell everything. I sometimes overwash everything on my body because i get paranoid its not clean enough.

I start everything on the right side of my body, shoes, pant leg, eye make up. I turn the radio off in my car before leaving the car so i don't scare myself.

Lock the car doors once im in my car if it is late at night. Don't roll down my windows in an intersection. Hold my key in my hand when im walking to my car at night.

Damn i sound paranoid don't i?

I read a lot of words backwards first and look for words to be formed in cross angles in paragraphs and whatnot. Like im some code cracker.

Last edited by a moderator:

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
^I always lock everything and will gripe at people who leave my stuff unlocked... But that's because my folks were MPs in the army and are cops, and would actively punish me for leaving things unlocked as a child.

For some reason, I always sniff the milk in a milk container, even if it's brand new. I also always check to see if my car door is really locked after I shut it. Anybody have any interesting tics (sp) or habits?
You would be amazed how many people who are 'internet addicts' and/or display obsessive tendencies online, have real life OCD or other associated personality disorders.

On the websites/forums I run, I've encountered a number of people over the years whose posting habits are unusual, and then it turns out when you get to know them more personally out of public view, it turns out that they have been diagnosed with depression, OCD, Asberger's Syndrome, HPD, ASPD/APD, are mentally disabled, etc... In those cases, I do my best to help these people be integrated into the community, but it doesn't always work out.... Sometimes, they have to banned for the sake of the community at large. (when it gets to the point where their eccentric behavior drives away good contributing members to competing sites, there's nothing else we can do)

My only interesting habit that would relate to this discussion is that after learning how to juggle many years ago, I have this unconscious habit where I will toss things like pens in the air, and always catch them oriented the same way, without looking or even thinking about it. (I can actually juggle things like screwdrivers or butter knives and catch them on the handle... I don't do knifes though. Would hate to screw up and gash my hand over something so trivial)

Last edited:

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Always arrange my pocket money so it faces the same way, by denomination, with just one center fold, with largest bills the farthest out. I've heard this is a guy thing.

As a kid I had all kinds of tics, but have outgrown most of them. Too busy now. One I've unconsciously kept is that I never inhale when I sneeze. As a kid I read that that's how evil spirits enter you.

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Before getting married and having kids, I was totally OCD.

While I was away at college, I lived in school sponsored apartments. There was a group of us that were very close friends, and would be in and out of each others apartments all the time. It became a game to the others to move something in my apartment, and see how long it took me to realize it and move it back. They would do it both when I wasn't home, or when I walked out of the room for a minute. It wasn't very long, as I would almost immediately get this "feeling" that something wasn't right and move it back into "it's place".

Getting married and having kids made me deal with things not being exactly the way I wanted it.

2 things that are still with me today;

ALL of my spices are alphabetized. (2 lazy susans full)
ALL of my shirts are hung facing the left. This used to cause a major issue with my ex, as she didn't care, but would get pissed off when I would rehang my shirts. This was another one of those "feelings" I would get even before walking into the closet.

Anyway, I still say I'm not OCD!! :mad: I'm "Time Conscious" :tongue:

It takes less time when everything is in "it's place" :biggrin1: