Odd story from my college orientation

yomrwhite

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So this past weekend I attended my college orientation (18 years old, not underage).

On Monday, our whole floor (we stayed in the dorms) was up really late. Like until 3 AM. Now, all night, my roommate was showing this chick pictures on his laptop and they were doing this for hours. Every time I would come in, to get my computer, toothbrush, sleeping clothes, money, whatever, she would always be like 'I THINK I SHOULD LEAVE... I FEEL LIKE I'M INTRUDING" and would always ask me "what I was doing" when I came in in the same terrified tone like she caught me jacking off or something. I think she felt like I kept coming in to get her to leave, but I wasn't; I was just coming in to get different things.

It wasn't really awkward until she was still in there as 4 AM rolled around and she decided to stay in our room overnight. I think it still hadn't registered with me even as she was sleeping in my roommate's bed with him. To be honest I thought it was his girlfriend. So I said "If you guys are gonna get down, keep it quiet" and she was like 'OMG WTF I JUST MET HIM TODAY!" Seemed weird that she would be sleeping in bed with him but think that certain deed would be nasty after knowing someone for a day.

I think I was still too tired to have it register until the next morning when I woke up and I realized she was still in there. I'm sure no sex went on.

Now, does this situation sound as awkward as it felt to me?

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Nope...it sounds like normal Cali college life to me. I don't think there's anything "nasty" about sex even if they were hooking up. Maybe you should have asked her to leave politely if you needed to get some sleep.

Last edited:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Nope...it sounds like normal Cali college life to me. I don't think there's anything "nasty" about sex even if they were hooking up. Maybe you should have asked her to leave politely if you needed to get some sleep.

I agree. But at college, particularly in Freshman year (much less orientation) very few people have figured out how they want to structure their lives and set their own boundaries and they find the many new situations they encounter challenging them to do so." What are my morals and values as opposed to what I've been told and taught?" and "Am I comfortable in this situation and how do I communicate it if I'm not?" are very common questions. For many people, Freshman year is more learning about life than it is learning from books.

Somebody kill this thread...

Why would you say that? Seriously. The OP's question is entirely valid.

yomrwhite

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Nope...it sounds like normal Cali college life to me. I don't think there's anything "nasty" about sex even if they were hooking up.

I never said it was nasty, I only said "doing the nasty" (sex). I think I only said "awkward". And it's because it seemed awkward to me that she had just met him that day and seemed grossed out when I said if they were going to have sex to keep it down, but she slept in his bed with him.

It wasn't awkward or anything all night when she was in the room with us,

I guess the bottom line is it wasn't awkward enough to ask her to leave, it just became awkward to me all of a sudden when she was going to sleep in in his bed when, as I said, she had been grossed out by the thought of sex with him. I wouldn't have asked her to leave though.

Last edited:

D_Porthos Porksworde

Experimental Member
Media
So was your roommate the one you'll be rooming with in the fall? Did you know him before orientation (e.g., a friend from high school)? At my orientation ~20 years ago my roommate was just a random person; I ended up in a different dorm and roommate than the one at orientation. I just wanted to ask. If this is your roommate come fall, then this will just be one of many things you'll have to work out as you go along. Welcome to college life, and good luck! It will be probably the 4 coolest years of your life, so enjoy it!

heist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Situations often become unnecessarily awkward because a person involved is too insecure. If she'd laughed it off (regardless of whether they were actually going to do anything), it wouldn't have been awkward.

You can take a lesson from this though: you can help defuse an awkward situation by not letting awkwardness dominate the situation. For example, you could have just played it off, like saying "Oh, okay, hahaha -- I thought you guys were going out or something" while smiling. This will be useful throughout college, as many people are still very insecure.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
It can be weird. For most of the time I was in the Army, my roommate Michael's friend and girlfriend stayed in our barracks with us most of the time. They would go home to change and shower, then spend their off hours with us. I liked both of them, but couldn't really figure out why they were in our room most of the time. They said they didn't like to be around their platoon. Can't really remember why. Probably because they didn't want people to know they were a couple. I can still remember how Lori, the girlfriend, was still denying that she was pregnant when she was showing. I wonder what ever happened to them and if they are still together. They were in denial about a lot of things.

But I really couldn't tell them to go home because Carl, the guy, would play videogames for hours with Michael. Lori was part of the package.