Of Milestones and Such

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by b.c., Jun 27, 2007.

1. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    A number of months ago (can’t recall how many) I found myself having come upon my 1000th post. Now in the past, I've always made light of this event by asking whether one won a prize or something. But admittedly, when I came upon the mark, it occurred to me that perhaps I should write of something special. But this became a dilemma: What to post??

At first I thought I’d post (in a kind of mind stream format) snippets of memory, of events relating to the Storm. But at the time there was another thread in which some not so nice comments were made relating to the catastrophe. So I decided that my memories of the event were too poignant, too profound, too hallowed and personal to me to allow them to be picked over by those who were perhaps uninformed…or maybe worse.

So next I thought to write something funny. Only, my sense of humour tends to be somewhat sardonic, and besides, I wasn’t in a “funny” mood at the time.

And then I thought to post something of political or religious significance… some observation or point of view. Except that I had more or less come to the conclusion that all politics, all religions are more or less the same old bill of goods anyway and hardly worthy of the discussion or defense. Or so I felt at that point in time.

And all at once it hit me… the cause of my dilemma. I could not decide what to post because there was nothing to say!

Not that I had nothing to say. I COULD say plenty. I guess I concluded, why say it? Fact was (and is) the forum is full of members who know far more than I do about a great many things and are much more profound at expressing these things. What do I know?

I’ve read (somewhere) that a Greek poet (Archilochus?) described such people as foxes… people who know many things. I’ve never been one of those. I never had the notion or the care to know of many things. Many things to me are to divergent, too confusing, too much off the course of what really matters to me. It’s why I’ve always been so terrible at remembering names. I always was one to know the person first, before the name.

No… I’m a hedgehog I think…not a fox. And that same Greek poet said “The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing.”

Exactly!

That one phrase summed it all up for me. Now I know why I had nothing to say. It would have been of no use.

‘T would even have been useless to try to tell what that one BIG thing is (that we hedgehogs know). Not that a hedgehog would ever tell anyway. After all, why bother? The other hedgehogs already know. And the foxes think they do.

Attached Files:

2. biguy2738

Gold Member

Albums:
    CONGRATULATIONS

B.C

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
    :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
    :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
    :hail: :hail: :hail:
    :notworthy: :notworthy:
    :flowers1:

1000 POSTS

What a truly beautiful and amazing post you made!
    I, for one hope that you hit your next milestone
    in quarter the amount of time that it's taken
    to reach this one because your beauty and
    depth adds great value to this site!

Thank you for sharing so deeply of yourself - I am in awe and humbled - you really are underestimating yourself a great deal. Congratulations on you 1000th post!

:arms: :arms: :arms: :arms: :arms: :arms: :arms: :arms: :arms: :arms:

3. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

You're still not going to get a prize, though.

4. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    re. congratulations:

Man...i'm speechless. Thanks Big Guy. You have no idea how much I appreciate the kudos (and the time you must have taken) to do this. (And I really needed the uplifting as of late). :redface:

5. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    wha?? no prize?? shucks! :rolleyes:

6. crescendo69

Gold Member

Congrats on the 1,000 mark. There is a sense of accomplashment when one gets there, although my thousanth post was merely in the scrabble game.

7. dreamer20

Gold Member

Congratulations on your 1,000th post bc!:party2:

Stop hiding in your shell hedgehog! Go on and post! That way the foxes can be lured out into the open and be shot.:2gunsfiring_v1:

You can give the big thing to me.:yumyum:

On the contrary, there is a prize.:biggrin1::

You get a new pair of slightly used red shoes::wink:

http://www.justinspace.com/screenpaper/10x7badapplejs.jpg

8. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    LOL...that's a good one. Shall I gift wrap it?

9. dreamer20

Gold Member

You need only put a bow on it, if you wish.:wink:

Draft saved Draft deleted