Off Topic: What are you been reading this days?

Mulebear

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
that_other_guy said:
What did you think about this book ? The most interesting thing I saw was the legalization of abortion & the national crime drop ... your thoughts ???
Well... Consdering I just started it and have not gotten past the introduction... So far it sounds interesting. It will be a few days before I can get back to it.

I just finished The Elegant Universe :biggthumpup2: :biggthumpup2: and I am halfway through A Short History Of Nearly Everything which I'm am giving :biggthumpup2: :biggthumpup2: way up.

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
Usually I'd curl up with a good historical fiction book ... but I've been re-reading a lot of the classics in order to apply them to my writings. It's a very helpful exercise and I recommend all writers - of any sort - go back and do it.

Among those have been:

• Republic (read twice)
  • Oliver Twist (have read many, many times)
  • Hard Times (one my favorites)
  • The Way we Live Now (boring, but good writings)
  • The House of Mirth (boring a very difficulty to sit through, but has good points)
  • Jane Eyre (another one of my favorites)
When these six are completely done, I'll start on another six...

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
naughty said:
HI ,

I just completed Alice Hoffman's "Blackbird House". It explored the life of one ficticious house on Cape Cod from the Early 18th century through the 21st. A wonderful read. Her works are lyrical and full of magic....

Aren't they? I finished "The Ice Queen" earlier this year. Beautiful and haunting . . . it stuck with me for a while.

Delta of Venus Anais Nin
The Earthly Paradise William Morris
Why People Believe Weird Things Michael Shermer

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mercurial bliss,

More and more you are seeming like a real kindred spirit.... Did your read "Practical Magic"?

mercurialbliss said:
Aren't they? I finished "The Ice Queen" earlier this year. Beautiful and haunting . . . it stuck with me for a while.

Delta of Venus Anais Nin
The Earthly Paradise William Morris
Why People Believe Weird Things Michael Shermer

that_other_guy said:
What did you think about this book ? The most interesting thing I saw was the legalization of abortion & the national crime drop ... your thoughts ???
That bit was certainly an interesting theory, I also liked the examination of the crack gang's accounts.

At the moment i'm attempting 'the age of reason' by Satre

BuddyBoy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
taven said:
I usually read a book every day or two (if it's very long or I have interruptions.) There are at least 200 waiting and more on order.
You too, huh? I had to switch to ebooks and an ebook reader years ago or I would have had to move out of my own apartment, forced out by book storage.

Finished in the last 10 days:
My Life in France by Julia Child
Crime Beat by Michael Connelly
The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914 by David McCullough
Challenger Park by Stephen Harrigan
Riding Rockets: The Outrageous Tales of a Space Shuttle Astronaut by Mike Mullane

Returning, yet again in hopes of making it all the way through. to:
Best and the Brightest by David Halberstam (aka "The very expensive education of McGeorge Bundy")

PS I have no life. :tongue:

BJT

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Re-Reading Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell for the umtenth time, always enjoy it.

Also reading the eBook of David DeAngelo's Double your Dating. There is some interesting points and ideas in there.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
naughty said:
Mercurial bliss,

More and more you are seeming like a real kindred spirit.... Did your read "Practical Magic"?

Yes, that's still my favorite (the movie was a little disappointing). Probable Heaven is close behind. I indulged in Green Angel which was written for young adults but like all fairy tales one can enjoy them at any age. :smile:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just thought I would give this thread a bump; I'm playing catch-up...

Current issues of "American Pharmaceutical Review" and "Chemical Engineering News", plus two back issues of "Chemical Engineering News."

Yeah, I know, real exciting stuff. Once I finish this, I'll go back to some deep philosophical fiction.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Among others, Robert Capa's Slightly Out of Focus, the story of how he became a war photographer during the Second World War.

Capa initially wanted to be a writer, more than a photographer.

This isn't an important book -- it's a well-crafted and not-quite-factual trifle, easy to read in one sitting.

And boy, from all accounts, that (utterly straight) hombre must have exuded sexuality. Tremendous gusto and pleasure in the game of life.

bossfan2

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Very avid book reader here. Great topic. I have to tell you I did not expect to see these types of topics on this board! Very pleasant surprise.

Some of my favorite all time books are:

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
The Fountainhead - Rand
The Glorious Cause - Schaara (great historical novel)
To the Last Man - Schaara (another great historical novel about WWI, what a brutal war, not that they all aren't but this book..wow)
Heart of a Dog - Bulgakov
The Leviathan - Hobbes

I am currently reading a craptastic spy novel by seom forgettable author but it's entertaining.

Great thread!

bluekarma

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Old news. "Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates", Tom Robbins. I didn't see this or I wouldn't have bumped my stupid thread.

PS - I don't see how you people have time to read so much. I'm lucky to get through a few chapters before someone is calling my name, or I'm asleep.

bossfan2

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I travel a lot and one of the great things about doing the bi-coastal thing is gauranteed 12 hours of down time a week. That is my reading time!

I usually get in about a book a week.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
The End of Faith, by Sam Harris (uncompromising)
The Story Factor, by Annette Simmons (inspiring)
I Hope they Serve Beer in Hell, by Tucker Max (Waste of time--won't finish it)
Fat, Forty and Fired, by Nigel Marsh (mediocre)
Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers, by Harry Harrison. (Better than the Hitchiker's Guide, in the same vein)