Office nickering and back biting

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Dr. Bubbles, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Dr. Bubbles

Dr. Bubbles New Member

Ok. Here goes. I have a situation at the office and I need some advise on how to deal with the problem (s).

I am an university administrator for our campus and am younger than most individuals in similar positions, especially here. Being in my position, I have a staff that I directly supervise of 12. Those 12 have additional staff they surprise bringing the department and my responsibility to a staff of over 60.

I am up for a promotion. :D YAY!!! The problem, however, is that staff do not understand nor can they accept that I am moving quickly up the academic ladder, especially those who have been here for years.

The men are fine with it and congratulatory (although I know a couple of them are leary about my professional growth) with my advancement. However, the women are not. I understand our "ways," but there has to come a time when things subside, especially in academia. I need to know how to address these issues because I will ultimately, if I am advanced, have to address them later on. I really thought my management style would help in easing into this position but obviously it has not. I hate to be a micro and I hate to have to become the "bitch," but the actions, the attitudes and the comments will destroy the composition of the department if something is not done. The current head is retiring and knows what the problem is, however, he is retiring. He said he will not deal with it. GRRRRRR

Ideas? Suggestions? HELP!

2. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: ...

3. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Length of time on a job does not automatically entitle you to a promotion or raise. Hard work, job performance, effectiveness and results are what get people promotions. Produce or perish. No one owes us anything. We make our own success. bblumbee, congratulations, no doubt you earned it...now go forth and manage well !!!!

4. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: ...

5. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Going for the crown tender? Gee, sexism and racism and reverse ageism...all in one convenient post. You left out the fags.

6. madame_zora

Gold Member

BBlumbee, congratulations! I'm sure your positioning for the promotion was well earned at the Uni. through your intelligence and committment. Having come from a management background, I can share my own experience in this area.

Many people share the "factory worker" view on promotion, that seniority is the primary factor. This has proven time and again to be expensive and ineffective in most management capacities. Simply being able to do one's job well enough not to get fired does not qualify someone to manage others! Many fields now develop younger managers as a method of grooming the ones with potential for further promotion and retention by that organization, in other words, they look at the total package of what that individual can bring to the table now and in the future.

My view, as I said, is a reflection of my own experience and may or may not be one you'd choose, but here it is: I DID find it necessary to become the bitch, at the beginning, to estblish my authority in the position. When I'd hear comments like "She's only been here 10 months and been promoted over me" I'd reply with, "It only took me 10 months to beat your sales record, so I guess they thought my methods were good enough to teach to others!" and go on with what I was doing. The important thing is to remember that you WILL be judged on your performance eventually, but in the beginning, you have to shut them up so that you will be free to perform your job effectively. We all know what a drain of energy idle office gossip is, I wouldn't want to see you get off to a slow start because of it. Young, pretty, smart, capable.....you are all of those things and more. Let people see more of you and they will find things to like, once they are over their jealousy. Be especially nice to the ones who are bitter, some of them will feel silly for misjudging you. Last- my best advice- work harder than everyone else so they will never be able to doubt your committment, I doubt that needed to be said. Go get 'em, tyger!

7. KinkGuy

Gold Member

We have new banners in our sales office that read: "Produce or Perish". We pay for priviledge and position with our individual production and in today's world producing revenue is all there is...or you perish.

8. Imported

Gold Member

wvalady1968: bb, If you gave some examples of the behavior, perhaps we could help you better. General grumbling and bitching & moaning is to be expected whenever anyone is up for a promotion. That kind of thing settles down quickly after the event.

I'm a supervisor, too, only I work in a hospital laboratory. When I was named supervisor, I had similar problems. I was most worried about having to be confrontational, if the need arose. It's been several years, now, and I've only had to talk to an employee about their behavior or attitude twice.

I found that people know each other. They know your personality and they know which employees are the bitches. Just by virtue of being their boss, you get to say "Okay, we're going to do this, at this time, and in this manner." You may ask for inut or not. You're the boss. And if they don't do their job, then they are at risk for disciplinary action.

Of course, the downside is that you will make mistakes, but, hey, that's how I've learned almost everything I know. lol

9. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Congrats BB, I dunno, I've always hated office politics. I'm a "salt of the earth" in my attitude to work, it's why I dislike offices! Give me a lab any day.

10. naughty

Gold Member

Dear BB!

I am so happy for you! That is fabulous, but then we all know you are fabulous too. Unfortunately when you have as much going for you as you obviously do you become a lightning rod for others' feelings of inadequacy and insecurities. I think it would be easy not to pay attention to the comments that were made earlier about the "supposed" components that went into your promotion but it might be helpful. Knowing what you are up against can possible help with solutions. No one wants to feel like they are over looked or deemed not worthy or obsolete. It is also difficult with other women.We know how passive-aggressive we can be to one another. A friend of mine who was put in a similar situation, quicky instituted programs and opportunities for his colleagues who he had come to supervise to fine hone their talents to prepare them for opportunities for advancement. Once again onward and upward!

Naughty

11. Dr. Bubbles

Dr. Bubbles New Member

Hi ya'll,

Sorry it has taken so long for me to post. I have been in Canada and just returned.

I appreciate all the encouraging words. It seems there are those who felt I needed to elaborate on the situation, but I purposely did not. I wanted to see if it was me or if the things I am experiencing would likewise be brought up here. From some of the post, they were.

The issues from my promotion are: 1) I am female; 2) I am a minority female; 3) my former background (pageantry); and 4) my appearance.

For the record, I feel none of these aided me in securing (yes, I was promoted) my position. I have a stellar academic record and have earned graduate degrees from ivy schools. Furthermore, I have been featured in campus publications, local and national media and have brought national attention to the institution for which I am employed. The individuals who have problems with my success likewise, have post graduate degrees and have similar administrative backgrounds. The publications and media attention, however, have not been strong in their professional background. Additionally, I have been awarded prestigous university awards, have been invited to lectured at other ivy and flagship institutions and have a high civic responsiblity to my community. Those are the merits based on the promotion.

As far as race, age, appearance, etc., I think this is ludicrous. People need to get over themselves and accept themselves for who they are. I have been fortunate in my life, but I have busted my ass to get everything I have EARNED.

I was just notified of the advancement a couple of hours ago. I suppose I will see the reactions and will know what type of direction I will need to take in a couple of days.

I appreciate your insight and encouraging words. I will keep you posted! :D

bb

12. madame_zora

Gold Member

BB, you are so very deserving of that promotion, I am sure you will rise to the occasion in perfect decorum! I delight in you and your ability to conduct yourself as a woman in business as well as the lovely sexual person you reveal here! We are much blessed by your presense. I wish you all the best in your endeavors.

13. Dr. Bubbles

Dr. Bubbles New Member

Thank you sweetie! :)

14. naughty

Gold Member

Congrats BB,

YOU know I second that emotion! I was just reading an article in
    "Black Enterprise" magazine about the things that are helping women get ahead today. I think many of the things that baby boomer women felt they needed to do to get ahead do not apply these days.Thank goodness for that. You have every right to be excited and proud of your accomplishments. You are a brilliant young woman who is making the most of all of the opportunities afforded her. Your physical beauty is a god given gift, what you have done with the rest of you is what you have done with the gifts god has given you. More power to you!

Naughty

15. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

I have to agree Naughty. :)

16. Dr. Bubbles

Dr. Bubbles New Member

Thank you Naughty and Ocra... truly, God has blessed me tremendously and of course, I am using those gifts to the best of my ability.

bb

17. B_Black11

B_Black11 New Member

BBlumbee,

First of all, congats! I am sure your promotion is well deserved. I'd like to say a few things however.

Managing people is one of the hardest things you can be asked to do professionally. I have done it, and was admittadly awful at it at first. I learned through slow painful experience that it is no difference than being in sales and having a client that whose needs you must always attend to. Management is like that with the added caviat in that the people above you are in a way clients who needs you must always address as are the people who work below you. As far as those below you are concerned I have observed that you must always always lead by example, no matter what the circumstances of you promotion may have been.

I like to remain professional at all times. Once a person who you manage or who works below you sees you doing something they themselves are not allowed to do or is not company/institution policy they lose respect for you and are less willing to follow your lead or be a team player for you.

If you have a problem employee or colleague or has chronic respect/professionalism/work issues, document, document, docutment!!! All workers in all states are protected by company polices, procedures and labor laws. You may find that if one of these women is pulling major ca ca and should be disciplined (or worse) for it that your own bosses or HR people will tie your hands due to lack of documentation.

Don't take things personally and recognize that as a manager or a higher up that the people under you AREN'T your friends, and probably shouldn't be. This doesn't mean you cannot be friendly to people, socializing one minute then being a boss to that same person the next is VERY difficult.

Just a few pointers, for now.

Let us all know what happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted