Oh? Canada Day?

D

deleted3782

Today I got this invitation for a new kind of party...a Canada Day party!
"You're invited to Ann & Bob's super-casual Canada Day supperish-get-together Tuesday, July 1, 6:30 p.m. We'll provide hotdogs, burgers, buns, & condiments. Whatever else YOU bring is what's on the menu. So bring your favorite drink and one food item. There's always too much food, so bringing one food & drink item is plenty!

See the attached invitation for info about Canada Day. If you plan to attend, RSVP so we'll have a clue how many folks to plan for. (Also helpful if you can tell me WHAT you'll bring, but that's not imperative!)

Here's the Canadian National Anthem, in case we break into song!
http://www.singforcanada.ca/anthem.html "
So, I live in Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - not exactly what I would consider the transnational multicultural heartland of the USA. Though we keep hearing about how American cultural permeates the continent to the point the Canucks can't get a word in edgewise...perhaps for this one day, maybe Canada will usurp America in the spheres of global influence and regalia.

I'm new at this, so how does this go? Shall we sing now? :confused:

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've never heard of Canada Day.:confused:

Are the serving Poutain? :biggrin: it's the only canadian food I know... Pancakes and maple syrup?

Are they Canadians hosting the party?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I stumbled in here expecting something about Canada Dry... which I quite like, but haven't had in ages. Hmm, must get my eyes checked.

I kinda like the fact that Americans feel free to celebrate other national days. It's the same in Ireland. I've been to 4th July parties, St Andrew's day bashes, Bastille Day shin-digs, a Storming of the Winter Palace Party (that was interesting!), Swedish Flag Day and so on. I love it - sod protocol, go along - eat and drink whatever the hosts recommend and have a good time. I love it!

Last edited:
D

deleted3782

I've never heard of Canada Day.:confused:

Are the serving Poutain? :biggrin: it's the only canadian food I know... Pancakes and maple syrup?

Are they Canadians hosting the party?

Bob is a Canadian citizen, and they have made this a neighborhood event in town. No poutain, though I wish they served it. I had maple syrup as recently as yesterday!

classyron

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
For the record, poutain is something close to the word for "pussy" or "poontang", usually means whore. Poutine is the dish.

We call Canadian bacon either back bacon or ham, depending on the restaurant (I guess it is like Chinese food in China).

It is cool that Canadians want to invite you to a Canada Day celebration in NC. It is like your July 4th party, except not as extravagant and usually has way stronger beer. When I lived in DC I went to my first July 4th celebration since I was a kid, and had a blast.

Later that year, while living in Florida, one of my co-workers invited me for Canadian Thanksgiving (which is in October because we have an earlier harvest due to shorter growing seasons), which was cool. But, then I went to my first American Thanksgiving... WOW! You guys go all out for that! It was a blast. There were three different types of turkey (baked, deep-fried and smoked), a huge ham, like 50 different salads, more booze than 100 people could have consumed, and then fireworks. It was sweet.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Exwhysee- If you want to make a culturally appropriate toast, say, "Happy Canada Day hosers!!"

Have a blast!
I miss Canada Day (my kid's b-day!)

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
For the record, poutain is something close to the word for "pussy" or "poontang", usually means whore. Poutine is the dish.

Actually, you're thinking of putain (unless the Fr.Can spelling is different, a quick search would suggest not) and does, in fact, literally mean whore. Though its use in French is far more like the way I use 'fuck' or 'fucking' - as an emphatic swear word. "Putain, il est beau!" ("Fuck, he's beautiful" - not "Whore, he's beautiful" which would be the literal translation.)

Media
Today I got this invitation for a new kind of party...a Canada Day party!
"You're invited to Ann & Bob's super-casual Canada Day supperish-get-together Tuesday, July 1, 6:30 p.m. We'll provide hotdogs, burgers, buns, & condiments. Whatever else YOU bring is what's on the menu. So bring your favorite drink and one food item. There's always too much food, so bringing one food & drink item is plenty!

See the attached invitation for info about Canada Day. If you plan to attend, RSVP so we'll have a clue how many folks to plan for. (Also helpful if you can tell me WHAT you'll bring, but that's not imperative!)

Here's the Canadian National Anthem, in case we break into song!
http://www.singforcanada.ca/anthem.html "
So, I live in Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - not exactly what I would consider the transnational multicultural heartland of the USA. Though we keep hearing about how American cultural permeates the continent to the point the Canucks can't get a word in edgewise...perhaps for this one day, maybe Canada will usurp America in the spheres of global influence and regalia.

I was in Ottawa this time last year for Canada Day. It was amazing. I was able to pose for pics with some of the mounties, very cute. Canada's version of secret service men are identical to those here in the states. Shades, suits, the whole get up.

The snipers atop the buildings were interesting.

Enjoy your celebration Mr Ex.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media

Poutine goes nicely with putain. It's fatty and fried, so I'm sure that it would go over well in Gboro. As for Canada taking over the US, we are already amassing our biplanes, tommy guns, seal clubs and pugilistic frenchmen. You don't stand a chance.

I encourage you to go to that party, Ex. Bon Fête du Canada.