Oh no...LOTR Musical.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_HappyHammer1977, Jun 19, 2007.

1. B_HappyHammer1977

B_HappyHammer1977 New Member

OMG...just seen a preview of 'Lord of the Rings - The Musical'...my god it looks even worse than the books AND the films put together!!

(Apparently had to be re-written after it's debut in Canada was panned by critics!!)

2. rimmer9

Gold Member

Albums:
    Books great, films terrific, musical is just one treebeard too far. Sauron will be turning in his grave.

3. dong20

Gold Member

And his ring will be burning too, perhaps.:smile:

4. fortiesfun

Gold Member

With a cursory glance, I thought this thread was called LPSG - the Musical. LOL. (I guess it would have to take that name because BIG was already taken.)

5. DanielForever

DanielForever New Member

I saw the musical on Saturday (in previews).
    The music is film-score like with very few songs really, more like a play with plenty of underscore. The real marvel is the stagecraft and production. Gandalf is terrible, dithery and weak. There is no way it will be last out once the die-hard tolkein fans and show-a-week goers have seen it once.
    The story has been slashed to pieces, ther Rohan isn't even there (my fav people). Gollum's good performance has followed on from Toronto, despite th eoart has been badly cut down.
    Dury Lane has been transformed with miles of vines and reeds and branches, like Jumanji has tacken over the three-circle theatre

If you like big les-mis style music, there is one song, that gets repeated in key moments (four times) but little else

If you like good performances, good luck (some good singing though)

If you like awesome productions, this beats Phantom and Wicked

If you like sitting down, you're gonna love this.

For all it's weak points, it's not boring, and I paid £5 for my tickets so It was worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted