Oh No My Accent!

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ouch. Since I moved to NYC in the early 80's I tried to hide my accent. When I first moved here I sounded like the missing Kennedy....extremely New England. I tried to hide it and people then asked me where in England I was from. Not good too...not me. After many, many acting classes etc...I finally sounded like standard speech but I still had to watch it..2 beers and helloo....Kennedy. I did good for years. Sunday nite I had a 2 hr conversation on the phone w/my mom and all this week I was a Kennedy again and people have been asking me where I'm from. I fell right back into the accent. What I find is weird that people think you're better if you have a british accent then an accent from our own country.
I have to, tommorrow, reaquaint myself w/the letter R instead of it being AH.:biggrin1:

Leave it to you to panic about your accent! It's charming and endearing all around.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
People are always surprised to find I grew up in (near) Boston because I have no identifiable accent. But my dad grew up in Charleston and learned very early that to have a southern accent and to be in business in the north in the 60s was not to be taken seriously so he quickly bred it out of himself. Subsequently, anything that sounded like anything of an accent in his children was corrected so all of us speak like newscasters.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That's the thing VB.....I can go a long time w/o any traces of it but if I go back home or have a long phone conversation w/someone from there it takes me a few days to get back to 'normal'! lol

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wouldn't know. I don't have an accent. :biggrin1:
That's cause you aren't from one of the 5 boroughs where milk is routinely pronounced melk. :smile:

People are always surprised to find I grew up in (near) Boston because I have no identifiable accent. But my dad grew up in Charleston and learned very early that to have a southern accent and to be in business in the north in the 60s was not to be taken seriously so he quickly bred it out of himself. Subsequently, anything that sounded like anything of an accent in his children was corrected so all of us speak like newscasters.
My mom was a teacher from Philadelphia who refused to have anything but proper (American) English spoken in her presence. I can remember having it drummed into me as a child to always say this, that, these, them, those; and NEVER dis, dat, dese, dem, dose. I am always mistaken for a WASP on the phone. Unless I am tired, then I have been told I sound like a Brooklyn Jew. I was in my 30's before I found out that wasn't a compliment. :irked:

I do not now, nor have I ever had a Joisey accent. That auditory nightmare is actually people from the five boroughs that moved to north Jersey and then some how managed to become even more lax in their speech. There schwa's and dipthongs are just a mess. I grew up in central New Jersey where people apparently talk like mid-west newscasters.

Last edited:

lickme69

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ouch. Since I moved to NYC in the early 80's I tried to hide my accent. When I first moved here I sounded like the missing Kennedy....extremely New England. I tried to hide it and people then asked me where in England I was from. Not good too...not me. After many, many acting classes etc...I finally sounded like standard speech but I still had to watch it..2 beers and helloo....Kennedy. I did good for years. Sunday nite I had a 2 hr conversation on the phone w/my mom and all this week I was a Kennedy again and people have been asking me where I'm from. I fell right back into the accent. What I find is weird that people think you're better if you have a british accent then an accent from our own country.
I have to, tommorrow, reaquaint myself w/the letter R instead of it being AH.:biggrin1:
You should be proud of your accent. It is what amkes you .... you. I visited Texas when I was younger. I guess the way I talk made people ask me if I was a Yankee. I proudly replied yes and also reminded them that we won!!!! So let it go.

Mark_UK

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
See, you are all deeply jealous of my English accent, and the fact that I talk proper.innit.
I don't know which part of the states she is from but there is a girl on CSI who fills me with the urge to beat her around the head with a fire extingisher whenever she speaks.

Last edited:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
That's the thing VB.....I can go a long time w/o any traces of it but if I go back home or have a long phone conversation w/someone from there it takes me a few days to get back to 'normal'! lol

Let's go to Fenway and "pahk some cahs togetha, OK?" :biggrin1:

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Plastic sucks, be yourself. I love a man with an accent. I fell in love with a store clerk once who had a southern accent. He seems so kind to me and his dark eyes looked at me like there was an interest even though I knew he had a girlfriend. You never know who might be drawn to you if you just be yourself.